Thread: Jazz heads

User Info Menu

Default Jazz heads

Well, I'm considering transforming my breakbeats by questlove into a jazz kit. I would basically just get new heads and sharpen the edges, but I'm curious what guys think about heads for high tuning. I'm set on aquarian modern vintage 10 mil for the top but I am not certain about the resos. Clear single ply, coated? more modern vintages?

Love to hear any thoughts you have, thanks in advance...
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jazz heads

I don't think I'd mess with the bearing edges at first. At least not until you try different heads first and see if a head change will get you the sound you want. I haven't tried those particular Aquarian heads, however, I've had Remo Fiberskyn heads and they sound fantastic. I'd probably start with Fiberskyns on all the batters and on the bass reso, then go from there.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

When you wrote 'sharpen the edges' do you mean re-profile the bearing edges? Personally I would leave the bearing edges alone unless they are damaged. A change of heads and retune should be sufficient.

I cant give any recommendations about tom reso heads, I know what Jazz is but, unfortunately, I'm not even qualified to listen to it......

User Info Menu

Big difference when you have the bearing edges corrected, my drums sounded good before the correction and now sound better very easy to tune, I have a double 45 degree bearing edge on my drums 8 ply maple shells from 1979 Rogers drums one owner. I use silent stroke because I live in a condo remo heads on the batter and Evans resonate, I also use a drum dial, check your bearing edges first and go from there, good luck.

User Info Menu

I won't reprofile the edges entirely. Currently they are 45 degree roundovers, and I'm just gonna sand along the inside to make them a bit sharper.

My other thought is that the bearing edges are kind of soft and porous (the shells are poplar) I might want to use something like oil or wax to get a harder sharper edge. But I'm not at all certain about that.
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Aquarian heads
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

If you feel that the edges are relatively soft due to the wood type used, if you reduce them to almost a sharp 'pointy' edge is there a danger that the edges may fold in once you fit the heads?

I've probably got this wrong but isn't this a set you bought new quite recently? If that is the case I would accept a compromise, leave the edges as they are and rely on different heads and tuning to make the difference. Its one thing to rework the edges of damaged drums or if you are cobbling together a set from no value orphan shells with different profiles - I'm not too sure if there will be any noticeable benefit of re-profiling yours if they are already in good condition.

User Info Menu

I thought Breakbeats were - or could be used as a jazz kit. Questlove plays jazz festivals.

User Info Menu

well, just went down and set up the breakbeats and tuned em up real tight. The heads I had on there which I had selected for rock (two plys on the toms and even a pinstripe for reso on the floor) did surprisingly well. Makes me think that all I'll need for these is new batters, and a different reso for the floor. thanks for all the input guys.
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Aquarian heads
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

p.s. I think the reason this worked so well is that because the drums are so small, I didn't have to crank the heads to tight to get a nice high pitch
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Aquarian heads
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Coated diplomats are really nice for jazz as well but they will absolutely NOT hold up to heavy hitting.

all the best...

User Info Menu

starting with a basic 10mil coated head on each side will give you nice tone. Coated ambassadors and the like. I like Remo. Coated single ply heads have worked for decades. I know plenty of jazzers that like coated emperors or G2s as batters just as much.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

rounded edges. sharp edges. for jazz it won't matter as much because they are both popular edge types. It is more important to focus on your tuning and playing, and using the colors you have available as much as you can with your touch. all the best
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input, jazzkat. I'm probably gonna use aquarian vintage 10 mil over the same thing.
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Aquarian heads
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Fiberskin heads on snare and toms batter side, thinnest single ply heads on reso side and 16 inch eMac on bass with single ply front head, medium tight to a little tighter batter heads and little loose medium reso side. Don't bother with drum edges, play what you got.

User Info Menu

Late to the dance but I have Modern Vintage on the top and Classic clear on the bottom on my Rogers kit and I love it. I play a lot of jazz.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!