Thread: No motivation

User Info Menu

Default No motivation

Since I've left my band over a month ago, I've had almost zero motivation to play. I played with a group a few weeks back but it wasn't my style so I passed. I peruse Craigslist on a daily basis, but there's just nothing out there at the moment. I sure don't want to hang it up, but don't want to lose steam either. Maybe a couple of months of no drumming will be good for me...everyone needs a break here and there?

User Info Menu

Default Re: No motivation

I totally understand. Not having a project puts you in limbo but if you love your gear, you'll visit it occasionally and will be glad you still have it. I keep mine set up for when the urge arises.

Keep smiling and drumming at your leisure.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I was in a signed band that toured for 5 years... when I parted ways with them I had the exact same feeling. And then I played with a couple of local bar bands and I just wasn't having fun and it wasn't the same.

But enough time has gone by I just missed playing so much. Now with this new band I'm in I've found a new wind and let the high standards go and am just having fun doing my thing.

You'll find more wind for your sails but it's like a relationship... sometimes it just takes time and sometimes it just takes a new band to blow correctly hehe The wind for your sails that is.
    So don't give up those craigslist searches who knows what you'll find.
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 10-13-2015 at 11:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Maybe the band will take you back. That is if they haven't already found a drummer.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with taking a break.
    Another thing I like to do during these slow times is the "training drill".

You can set goals for a few (or more) fills, patterns, beats, etc.

I like to set aside a week to work on just a few things over and over.
    Play them at least every day -- maybe 3 or 4 times every day.
    Each drill might be only five minutes, depending on what you need to work on.
    And is it not true?...............we always need to be working on something.

And then the next week, choose 2 or 3 more new goals.
    Singles -- doubles -- odd time signatures -- a great fill you heard the other day -- double bass patterns.................too many things to work on.

When the next band opportunity comes along, you will have added some new skills and tools that you will find yourself putting to good use.

When I'm in a busy band, I don't have time for the drills.
    So maybe now is your time to get going on a few new goals.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

If you feel the need to stop then take a break. Do something else. You have your drums, you can play them again any time.

User Info Menu

Thanks all for the feedback. Glad to hear I'm not alone with these feelings. I have a kit set up in the basement and I'll jump on every so often, but not as much as I used to. I was in a regular routine of practicing with the band every week, gigging on weekends and now I have nothing to do!
    Hopefully I find another band soon...and Kay-Gee, I wouldn't go back if they asked me! Done and done

User Info Menu

There was a 3 year period that I didn't go near my kit . I took up mountain biking and really got into it , almost replaced the drums ! But it's good to take a break . Maybe not as extreme as mine (LOL) . It's good for your soul . Don't worry..you won't lose that skill ..it's with you forever . Just keep doing what you're doing and go with it . That gig will turn up and you'll be as right as rain . Take up archery ... I'm sure you've got some old band pictures for target practice...
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I hardly know my drums any more. Very rarely get to play them. It's been nearly 2 years since the band retired. I haven't played regularly since. I don't miss it. I don't miss gigging. I don't miss practicing. I miss hanging with my bros but that's it.

User Info Menu

I took a 13 year Hiatus from music from 2002 to 2015 to concentrate on my family. I felt completely burnt out from constant touring for over a decade. In that time I didn't miss it in the slightest. I had my kit set up in the conservatory but very rarely touched them. No interest. I had a call from the singer back in February asking if I would stand in for a little French tour, which I declined. After talking to my wife I then changed my mind & did the tour. I then did a couple more & was asked to formally join. I could not be happier. The fire is now burning again with a vengeance.

User Info Menu

I'm in a similar situation. I get it. Your drums won't cheat on you. They'll be there for you when you are ready.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by metallitroy View Post
    I'm in a similar situation. I get it. Your drums won't cheat on you. They'll be there for you when you are ready.
    :D

You can also maybe take this opportunity to start your own band, play the music you want to play. Alternatively, you can just be a gun for hire.

Either way, putting an ad on CL describing what you are up for could be the beginning of a whole new musical adventure for you!

User Info Menu

Not being involved in any projects provides you with an opportunity. Unless you've already mastered art of drumming, then being free of the demands of project involvement (learning songs, rehearsing with band mates, etc.) allows you the time to work on your skills and improve your proficiency behind the kit. Look at it as a silver lining. That, IMHO, provides enough motivation.

User Info Menu

I'm staring at the very real possibility that it's over for me, maybe for good. I have no illusions now of ever having a good band at least in this place. The population here is very
    transient being a tourist hub. I do meet some good players but most are only around a few weeks out of the year. Also with a full time job that sucks the life out of me, I wince at the thought of having to load and unload drum gear.

all the best...

User Info Menu

^that sounds so sad!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I'm staring at the very real possibility that it's over for me, maybe for good. I have no illusions now of ever having a good band at least in this place. The population here is very
    transient being a tourist hub. I do meet some good players but most are only around a few weeks out of the year. Also with a full time job that sucks the life out of me, I wince at the thought of having to load and unload drum gear.

all the best...
    Come back to the states.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have no illusions now of ever having a good band at least in this place. The population here is very transient being a tourist hub. I do meet some good players but most are only around a few weeks out of the year.
    I also experience a transient population during the winter. I made friends with a keyboard player from Canada last year and can't wait for him to return. We started playing gigs last year. It's as if he is on tour. He brings me gigs where the Canadians rent - RV parks mostly - and I invite him to my gigs at the local restaurants and bars. Same thing is happening with musicians from Ohio, we gig during the winter.

You might stay in contact with the transient musicians. Email works well. Coordinate gigs with them. I bet they would love the idea of having gigs in the Bahamas. They invite their friends, you invite your friends and it's a big party.
    Last edited by 8beat; 10-14-2015 at 11:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I've only played the drums once since the last band I was in broke up nearly a year ago.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

When I left the last band I played in, I didn't play drums for 10 years! I got into songwriting and playing the acoustic guitar. I still really love doing that but arthritis has really started to affect my ability to play guitar. So, about two years ago, in an effort to try to avoid getting really bummed out about that, I thought it might be fun to get back into playing drums again - and I can tell you honestly - I have never enjoyed drumming more than I do now. I think a lot of that has to do with the mind set I am bringing to it and that is really one of gratitude - i.e. that I still have the ability to play this wonderful instrument. I don't think I really had that appreciation when I was younger.

I also discovered when I got back into drums that I had a latent GAS gene that became active big-time

So just give yourself some time - don't force yourself to play. Just follow your heart - it will take you to where you need to go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    I have never enjoyed drumming more than I do now. I think a lot of that has to do with the mind set I am bringing to it and that is really one of gratitude - i.e. that I still have the ability to play this wonderful instrument. I don't think I really had that appreciation when I was younger.
    ^^^^^Ludleg is in the right mindset.................awesome statement.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Come back to the states.
    Trouble is...I'm not American

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^that sounds so sad!!
    Not meaning to whine or anything. I knew what I was getting into when I moved here. It's amazing what you will do for the love of a woman!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Trouble is...I'm not American

all the best...
    That does not matter anymore,
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

It's amazing what you will do for the love of a woman!
    That is all we needed to know..................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

There are times I don't play for a few months if life is super hectic and the band isn't doing much, but I'm lucky because the band are lifelong friends. We all have kids, careers, etc... so breaks aren't a big deal since we are a weekend warrior cover band now.

The only downside is gigs can be hard to get. Being in suburban NYC there are tons of bands competing for the same gigs. So with less exposure, etc..., bars are less open.

Fortunately we play about 8-10 times a year for community gigs, charity events, and block parties and such.

Sad to hear some people might be hanging up the sticks.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle