Thread: New drum book

User Info Menu

Default New drum book

Hi, I just bought me a new drum book that I am sure many of you either own or heard of. The book is Stick Control for the snare drummer by George Lawrence Stone. If any of you use or have this book can you give me your input on it.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: New drum book

Gregg..................

Stick Control is used in every high school and college as the snare drummer's first challenge to reading and playing................very widely known and very traditional..............considered essential good stuff.

Austrian drummer Thomas Lang, in an effort to learn as much as he could about double-bass techniques, is quoted as saying he learned all the exercises in Stick Control with his feet.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

yeah alot of info out there on this book,

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...=stick+control
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have been meaning to ask DC drummers if they know of good drum books that come with an accompanying CD / DVD. I want to learn to read drum music - so having an audio sample I can compare to the written music would really help. That way I would know if i was reading the music correctly. Any recomendations?

User Info Menu

Stick Control is a book that should be owned by every drummer. PERIOD.

User Info Menu

The Bible of rudiments. If you aspire to be a better drummer, work with it until your arms and feet fall off. Then work with it some more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Stick Control is a book that should be owned by every drummer. PERIOD.
    Oooops.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have been meaning to ask DC drummers if they know of good drum books that come with an accompanying CD / DVD. I want to learn to read drum music - so having an audio sample I can compare to the written music would really help. That way I would know if i was reading the music correctly. Any recomendations?
    Most beginner drum books have accompanying CD's that guide you along the reading route. I used Hal Leonard drumset 1 and drumming for dummies as well. Also a lot of drum play along books have excellent sheet music. I actually have a few I would give ya if you want to pay the shipping? Let me know if interested and I can tell you the exact names of them so you can research em.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Most beginner drum books have accompanying CD's that guide you along the reading route. I used Hal Leonard drumset 1 and drumming for dummies as well. Also a lot of drum play along books have excellent sheet music. I actually have a few I would give ya if you want to pay the shipping? Let me know if interested and I can tell you the exact names of them so you can research em.
    Thanks MDK - very nice of you to offer. i would be interested in knowing what the books are you have that you are referring to. Just reviewed the Drum Book section that Drum Bum has - holy crap - there is no shortage of books with the CD!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy79 View Post
    Hi, I just bought me a new drum book that I am sure many of you either own or heard of. The book is Stick Control for the snare drummer by George Lawrence Stone. If any of you use or have this book can you give me your input on it.

Keep drumming

Gregg
    Gregg, the George Lawrence Stone book was, and is, considered a staple in the drumming world. Coming up, all my teachers would have us working in it and numerous teachers still use it to help their students with the foundation of drumming - individual hand to hand control, which of course can also be applied to the feet.

Stick Control

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    Thanks MDK - very nice of you to offer. i would be interested in knowing what the books are you have that you are referring to. Just reviewed the Drum Book section that Drum Bum has - holy crap - there is no shortage of books with the CD!

sorry got home from work and had to go to an emergency band meeting and forgot about this. I will try again tonight.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

here is 2 I can send ya, the buddy rich one is a good book with 2 disc's and the other is a basic play along booklet with a cd and sheet music of popular songs. send me a pm if you want them.

[IMG][/IMG]
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy