Thread: OT : do you pull a face when you are playing?

User Info Menu

Default OT : do you pull a face when you are playing?

I have to concentrate on keeping a professional face when I play, and I have got pretty good at it know,in fact I should maybe smile a bit more often!
    BUT
    This made me smile, I was watching some old stuff, from me playing when I was younger, and in this clip, I obviously hadn't perfected my serious face, because I end up giving in to the face pulling I always feel like doing when I play.
    Are you aware of what your face does when ou play or not?
    I start off pretty composed but then they get the better of me!
    http://youtu.be/fpGzVE3WHyw
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Default Re: OT : do you pull a face when you are playing?

No WAy !! That's a great video !! You look like you were having fun with and it showed , you gave me a chuckle .

Get this...in my BIG HAIR rock days I use to practice in front of a mirror making those snarly faces that everyone was doing on MTV ! LOL That was a long time ago . But I guess now I just wear my poker face , you know..real serious like . Sometimes I smile and then laugh because us guys on stage are having fun .

Best of luck !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Your face should be you and the way you are in real life. You do not have to change your facial expressions as there are no rules that says you cannot smile when you play your drums alone or in front of a crowd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Your face should be you and the way you are in real life. You do not have to change your facial expressions as there are no rules that says you cannot smile when you play your drums alone or in front of a crowd.
    When I first started playing tenor drum back in the day ,Vince Colaiuta used to call me the meanest man on tenor because of my facial expressions.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I love that ending!

People come to hear you play but I like it when you make faces and I bet they do too.

User Info Menu

I've seen drummers that look like they are going to cry, laugh, smile, look behind them like someone's following them. Some look like everybody on stage has gas except them and some look like they have gas and are doing their best to hold it in and not blow themselves off the throne.

Some look like someone just gave them a wedgie, some look like they shouldn't have had that last beer because there is still 1/2 hour left in the set and they know they can squeeze for about 15 more minutes.

I just tried to look like I knew what I was doing up there.

As long as you don't look like Ozzy on a bad day, you will be fine.

User Info Menu

my GF always says I do this look where I basically like suck my lips inwards.. grrrr

User Info Menu

I always have to concentrate on smiling and my facial expressions. Nobody wants to watch a drummer with an angry face who just stares at their hi-hat. It's a show...so put one on. It's difficult, but very important to look like you're enjoying yourself

User Info Menu

You take for instance Tommy Lee ( not my favorable drummer) he talks and smiles and curses at his audience and they love him. Then you take Neil Peart ( my Idol) who hardly smiles and looks so serious and the audience love him. So I think either you smile or not that is sort of your signature to your fans or audience to remember you by.

User Info Menu

You mean like this ?

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    You mean like this ?

Yeah! That's an angry face!

User Info Menu

I don't know which song that was............I suspect something got hit with some force.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what kind of faces I make, but a friend of mine makes some crazy faces. Google alex bent. Or check out some matt halpern videos.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I hate seeing pictures or videos of me playing. I usually have a serious look with no smile unless I am really getting into the music and them I might have my eyes closed as I feel the music within. I guess I have more a face and demeanor for studio work vs. live playing.

User Info Menu

An ex GF said I make the same faces in bed, in general i just try to smile or sing along.

User Info Menu

Like I mentioned a few years ago that when I play people said that I looked like a retard by the faces I made. but then I explained that I may have been having a hard time with certain beats that made me look like that.

User Info Menu

Now there's a politically correct term.....

User Info Menu

Kinda. Mostly just look annoyed

- Zack

User Info Menu

I've had people comment on my eyebrows' movement. No pix of this phenom, tho!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

My son, bass player, cracks up at the faces I make. I have no ides what my face is doing while I play, but he tells me it's pretty funny. Like I'm sometimes trying to scat out my drum parts.
    Matt Halpern made some of the funniest faces in Loverboy videos from the entire 80's. Also, Myron Grombacher who played with Pat Benatar used to make some epic faces.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

My friend plays bass, and his faces are comical.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal