Thread: Bubinga vs. Mahogany

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Bubinga vs. Mahogany

Is there a major difference between bubinga and mahogany?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bubinga vs. Mahogany

I've not owned a Mahogany kit but Bubinga is a deep low thuddy sounding kit. The bass drum is tremendously powerful. I didn't like the snare so much but it could have just been head choice.

I tend to like a little more attack than what Bubinga offers so I found the B/B really filled that void for me. Plus it was a ton cheaper, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Real African Mahogany, like the old vintage stuff was made from, is pretty similar to Bubinga. Not to be confused with "Phillipine Mahogany", which is a general term for whatever tree from the rain forest they cut down.....Like Luan or Merranti, etc.. There would be more of a difference between these and Bubinga......but sound wise, they all have more low end in general.

User Info Menu

I have built drums using both. From a woodworking point of view, two very different species.
    As far as sound, you can shape either one to sound alike or sound different. There are so many build features that shape the sound and tone of a drum, your question is simply far too general to really be answered accurately. They can both be a more low end, wood emphasis sounding drum. But that can be shaped with sharper edges, a smoother inner shell, some urethane coating on the inner shell etc.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168