Thread: Three Quarter North

User Info Menu

Default Three Quarter North

We just finished off our whirlwind series of outdoor Fall Festival gigs. What an excellent season it was. We were blessed with some sunny and unseasonably warm weekends in September and early October in NY. Great turnout for these events, we went over well each fest we played, we made really good money, and the promoters all expressed an interest in having us back next year !

Last weekend was the cap-off. Not so warm out, anymore. We played in a 300 year old historic Dutch barn in Rotterdam Junction NY, for the Schenectady County Fall Foliage Fest. They had some space heaters going, but it was still pretty chilly inside as you can tell from photos. People braved the cold, and did the hayrides and other outdoor activities, and we had a PA speaker outside the barn so that they could hear our music.

Nothing in November but our monthly restaurant gig. Then in December we look forward to some holiday-related events that we've booked.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Three Quarter North

Outstanding! Great pics.

Tex

User Info Menu

Looks like fun ... reminds me of the unplugged Cajun music gigs that I've had the pleasure of participating in over the years ...

User Info Menu

Looks like a blast, any recordings we can hear?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Looks like fun ... reminds me of the unplugged Cajun music gigs that I've had the pleasure of participating in over the years ...
    It is fun indeed. I was wondering if anyone else here does any kind of acoustic hillbilly or folk percussion like I do. That is an authentic Cajun triangle that I use. Made by Tee-Don Landry, in Lafayette. It is quite effective on our Celtic and Appalachian fiddle tunes. We do not do any Cajun tunes, although I am huge fan of Cajun and zydeco music. Our fiddle player is not familiar with the style but I am always bringing up the idea of us attempting a Cajun tune one of these days.

The advice and information that I am getting on DC is invaluable, as I am incorporating more cymbals and 'drum set' drums into the act. Hopefully I can contribute back, in the area of this thing that I do.

User Info Menu

Very cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    It is fun indeed. I was wondering if anyone else here does any kind of acoustic hillbilly or folk percussion like I do. That is an authentic Cajun triangle that I use. Made by Tee-Don Landry, in Lafayette. It is quite effective on our Celtic and Appalachian fiddle tunes. We do not do any Cajun tunes, although I am huge fan of Cajun and zydeco music. Our fiddle player is not familiar with the style but I am always bringing up the idea of us attempting a Cajun tune one of these days.

The advice and information that I am getting on DC is invaluable, as I am incorporating more cymbals and 'drum set' drums into the act. Hopefully I can contribute back, in the area of this thing that I do.
    Yes, Cajun triangles have the coolest "come and get it" sound. I have one of those as well and they are irreplaceable. In case you're interested, they used to use the old red rubber toilet plungers on coke crates to make the horse shoe clopping sounds that you hear on "La Danse de Mardi Gras", the Cajun Mardis Gras Song ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post

I occasionally play the spoons, foot tambourine and my home made beer crate Cajon. Usually just when we play an acoustic gig. Our set list mix is about 40% Bluegrass/Country Folk, 40% Chicago Blues and 20% Classic Rock. Most of the time we play electric and put more of a harder, rock style edge on the Bluegrass. It seems to go over better with the younger bar crowd and the older crowd still likes it. As a result, I mostly play a full kit and just play as the music requires. I've found that my small Jungle kit (8/13/16/snare) works pretty well for Bluegrass and acoustic gigs as well.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Looks like a blast, any recordings we can hear?
    The band has recorded 3 CD's. I played percussion tracks on less than half of the songs on the last one ...they started recording it shortly after they invited me to join the band (I didn't want to muck up their record, while I was still figuring out how to fit myself into the group). Traditionally there are no drums or percussion in bluegrass music, but now, three years into it, I think I got my own thing going that works quite well with the group.

Our music is on Pandora. Has anyone else started up a Pandora station on their own band ? It is interesting to see what other songs and artists the Pandora 'brain' puts together with yours.
    Last edited by JoePasko; 10-25-2015 at 03:39 PM.

User Info Menu

I am heading north to Saratoga NY in a little while. We are playing at a music festival today, sponsored by the Northeast Woodworkers Association. They have been running classes in instrument building. While the bands are playing, there will be guitars, banjos and mandolins on display, hand-made by NWA members.

[IMG][/IMG]

As usual, I am a little apprehensive about the logistics. Sometimes, these multi-band fests run smoothly, other times they amount to real cluster-f's....we shall see. As I've mentioned before, I mount circular saw blades on cymbal stands and whack them in my percussion act. I hope the woodworkers will appreciate that !!

[IMG][/IMG]