Thread: bass drum technique???

User Info Menu

Default bass drum technique???

What Technique do you guys use? Heek toe or the slide.
    I'm trying to learn both.Heel toe seems a bit hard.

User Info Menu

Default Re: bass drum technique???

There are more than just those two techniques. What are you trying to accomplish?

User Info Menu

Just to get better and faster. what are the other ones called?

User Info Menu

I use a heel up sort of slide type of thing.
    I only play heel down when I want to be weely weely kwiet. This turns out to be mostly never.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I only use single pedal so perhaps my input isn't particularly relevant -

Heel down - slow tempo or when I'm trying to play quietly
    Heel up - moderate to fast tempos
    Heel/Toe - occasionally as required - I don't always get both notes at the same volume consistently and if the tempo isn't too fast will use singles, I need more practice.

I found heel/toe easier than slide when I first experimented so I stuck with it. I've seen swivel technique but as my ankles are made of glass, and it looks exhausting, I haven't even attempted it - swivel technique is probably not relevant for single pedal use so no good for me anyway.

User Info Menu

I used to play heel toe with a single pedal, but my double pedal has toe guards so I can't get as high up on the plate as I want. I just play heel up now.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

For the most part, play heel up. Put your heel down on slow/quiet songs as you just don't need the power.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys how do I add pictures on here

User Info Menu

I play heel down. That is all I ever learned. It is quite powerful if you ask me.

User Info Menu

(single pedal) heel up & down, depending on music.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alvanko View Post
    I play heel down. That is all I ever learned. It is quite powerful if you ask me.

I agree with alvanko. It's how I learned.

User Info Menu

I can play heel up or down. I'll quickly alternate when doing double-bass patterns due to fatigue if it goes on too long. That usually only happens on my left foot though, since it's weaker.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

For some reason I'm having a hard time doing heel to toe. I been on YouTube watching videos on it just can't get it. Any tips?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chriskoz109 View Post
    For some reason I'm having a hard time doing heel to toe. I been on YouTube watching videos on it just can't get it. Any tips?
    Practice it really slow initially - in either socks or very thin soled shoes so you can feel the action of the pedal. If you are wearing normal shoes the sole may not flex sufficiently to play heal/toe - try carpet slippers instead if you normally play in regular footwear.

Have you managed to adjust the tension of your IC pedal so it does not feel too heavy? A heavy, stiff pedal will make things much more difficult.

Make sure your foot isn't too high up the pedal - you will probably have to move your foot a little further down the pedal than you would play normally (your toes should not be up by the toe stop on your IC pedal - try a couple of inches down initially). If you have large feet you may find it helps to remove the toe stops from your IC pedal - they can be removed by undoing the screws on the underside of the foot plates. If you do remove them - don't loose them! Put them in a bag and keep them in your pedal case for safe keeping. If you decide you don't get along with the pedal you want to keep it complete if you decided to return it.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 10-26-2015 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Typos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    For the most part, play heel up. Put your heel down on slow/quiet songs as you just don't need the power.
    ^This...............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Getting advice on technique from the internet will not give you the magic solution. Years of dedicated practice is the only answer you need. There is no shortcut, you cannot bypass the work to get the prize.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I always play heel up, always. Even during quiet parts. Double pedals as well.

I actually raise my heels a bit and change position on the pedals when I'm doing fast double bass. It's kinda weird, but it's a technique that kinda developed naturally. I'm actually trying to change that, for purposes of economy and fatigue.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I just play fast....

Oh sorry I have a technique I'm not sure if it has a name.
    But it's heel up and it sort of has a heel toe feel but it's not heel toe at all.
    I'll have to video it sometime.
    But I play singles heel up.

Right now in practice with metronome I'm doing 16th notes at 202 BPM consistently and I'm trying to work my way up.