Thread: Bass drum exercises without the bass drum

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum exercises without the bass drum

Hey,

Any suggestions for bass drum exercises without a bass drum to keep the noise down lol

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum exercises without the bass drum

Would you consider a bass drum practice pad? I don't know of any excercises without a peddle, but there are bound to be some.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I do limb independence exercises. They are more about moving hands and feet than about making drum sounds.

User Info Menu

Some books and instructors recommend just playing heel down to help develop muscle coordination. They say it even helps with Heel up. I believe it is mentioned in Jo Jo Mayers foot DVD and Dom Famalaro's pedal control

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I do limb independence exercises. They are more about moving hands and feet than about making drum sounds.
    This. You can work on independence without the pedal. It involves muscle memory so it's all valuable practice.

User Info Menu

I bought a bass drum practice pad and love it.
    I play it all the time at home... when I'm on the computer I keep my playing

But yeah you can tap out singles and doubles all day at any chair.

User Info Menu

Probably not the answer you were looking for "technically"...but, I found that actual PHYSICAL exercises - you know, the kinds you do at a gym, help me more with my double bassing than a lot of the rudimental things.

Strengthening my ab groups was probably one of the most effective things I ever did, along with leg and calf exercises. You don't have to get fancy either. Leg lifts, sit ups, leg drops, scissors, do some squats, etc. A strong core makes it easier to balance on your stool while your legs have the strength to go faster and strike more accurately, not to mention you'll increase your stamina.

Try jumping rope for 5 minutes a day too.....it's amazing what it will do for your drumming.

FWIW

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Probably not the answer you were looking for "technically"...but, I found that actual PHYSICAL exercises - you know, the kinds you do at a gym, help me more with my double bassing than a lot of the rudimental things.

Strengthening my ab groups was probably one of the most effective things I ever did, along with leg and calf exercises. You don't have to get fancy either. Leg lifts, sit ups, leg drops, scissors, do some squats, etc. A strong core makes it easier to balance on your stool while your legs have the strength to go faster and strike more accurately, not to mention you'll increase your stamina.

Try jumping rope for 5 minutes a day too.....it's amazing what it will do for your drumming.

FWIW

This was helpful along with other suggestions thank you

User Info Menu

I've done this for double pedal practice: find a really heavy chair & place your pedal in front of one leg and be sure the beater strikes the chair on a sturdy, padded spot. Use your throne to guarantee your normal sitting height and you're all set.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/