Thread: Another Craigslist-related post...sorry

User Info Menu

Default Another Craigslist-related post...sorry

Who here has had success in finding bands on Craiglist? I have in the past, but lately it's very discouraging. Maybe I just have high expectations?
    I'm tired of seeing posts for bands needing "serious drummer with pro gear" but then the band has zero gigs or they flat-out stink. What gives?
    I've responded to a few listings and then you never get a response. WTH, should I even bother?
    I'm tired and old...just ranting Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Another Craigslist-related post...sorry

Seems to be hit or miss. I try to avoid CL when trying to find musicians, but, I've hit it lucky a couple of times. Networking seems to be the best way.

User Info Menu

I've been looking on CL with no good luck
    12pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (23pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 4pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 50 Snare drums and growing!

User Info Menu

I have found good and bad, took me a few tries before I realized that they are also auditioning for you and I got in with 2 bands that were pretty horrible.

I also have responded to few guys that just want to jam on a sat. once or twice a month but they never seem to follow thru and it ends up being a big waste of time.

Bandmix is also a waste of time unless you pay to put your email address on it.
    Sonor Essential Force Birch

Mapex Saturn V

Zildjian K and Stagg DH Cymbals

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

All the ads I see are the same. They make it sound like they are the next up & coming band, on the cusp of hitting the big time, and you better be John Bonham reincarnate or not even bother replying. I love the line, "don't waste our time" or "if you think you got what it takes", LOL. Or, "the current music scene in this town sucks". Even if I was good enough to join them, I'm not sure I would WANT to!

I think the "networking with other bands & musicians" angle is the best. The more musicians/bands you play/jam with, the more opportunities will seek YOU out. I know several guitar players that I would approach if my band needed one....and even a few drummers in the event that I wanted to quit or couldn't play anymore.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 10-26-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

....and if you follow the ads for a while.....(and I mean a year or two at least...) You'll notice it's a lot of the same people posting the same ad over and over again.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I don't know of anything better than craigslist though.

User Info Menu

I've lucked out...twice, but have been to a lot of jam/auditions that were fun, kinda like open-mic nites!
    Last edited by slinglander; 10-26-2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: sp
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    ....and if you follow the ads for a while.....(and I mean a year or two at least...) You'll notice it's a lot of the same people posting the same ad over and over again.
    Yup, I've definitely noticed that around here. I'm always amazed when bands don't have videos or good sound recording of them playing live. I think that's a huge element for me in order to feel them out before I "waste their time" - ha
    If you're a band that plays out regularly, you should really spend some money on having a show recorded well. If anything it's a great memento to have for when you get older or want to show your kids, but also serves as a great marketing tool for booking your band. (Or trying to find musicians on Craigslist)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I don't know of anything better than craigslist though.
    Flyers on telephone poles. "Open Auditions!

User Info Menu

Who is Craig and why did he make a list?
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    He's Angie's husband. They like lists....
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    He's Angie's husband. They like lists....
    TIL (Today I Learned)

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch)
    Premier Artist Maple (with Birch Snare) - yellow/fusion.
    Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste Signature:
    10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18", 20" Full Crash

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride