Thread: Guests Of The Band

User Info Menu

Default Guests Of The Band

Our band is playing this weekend at a local bar. It's a special type of thing in that it is more like a Halloween party. The bar doesn't usually charge a cover, but for this event, they a charging a small fee ($5.00). It will cover the cost of the band for the bar.

My question is: when members of the band that bring wives, girlfriends, ect, should that guest be expected to pay the cover fee?

I told the band members that since this is not a benefit type of gig,where we play for a reduced price, or don't charge,don't expect freebies such as food or drink and that any body they bring will be expected to pay the cover.

I don't have a problem myself, but 1 of the members did. This is the same guy that got upset at one of our benefit gigs because they charged his girlfriend for a plate of food when he went to get his. (Before we started, they had told us that the bands was free.)

Just wanted you thoughts and/or opinions.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Guests Of The Band

Our band plays a lot of cover charge shows. Usually we are entitled to 1 person per member. So your immediate wife or gf. That's usually excepted and fair. Anyone else would need to go around, if not it just gets out of hand and some bands try to sneak in all their friends. That's not cool. Fans need to pay like anyone else.

User Info Menu

Wife or girlfriend doesn't pay the cover. Ever. If they do it's a deal breaker. I'd pass (and have passed) on those gigs.

Food? That's different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Our band plays a lot of cover charge shows. Usually we are entitled to 1 person per member. So your immediate wife or gf. That's usually excepted and fair. Anyone else would need to go around, if not it just gets out of hand and some bands try to sneak in all their friends. That's not cool. Fans need to pay like anyone else.
    This. Each member is typically afforded a plus one, so to speak. However, that plus one doesn't typically get any of the food or drink benefits that may be given to the band.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

^yeah the drinks are still band members only. Everyone else is on their own

User Info Menu

I don't even go to places that have a cover charge. I'll turn around and leave if they ask for a cover charge. Wives girlfriends and anybody else I want should get in for free.

User Info Menu

Me and spouse food and drink usually. Since she seldom accompanies me any more, I eat and drink a double portion.

all the best...

User Info Menu

My wife never had to pay a cover charge or buy a ticket. Even if they were enforcing that, I'd just throw a snare drum in her arms and she'd enter in through the back.

User Info Menu

One free guest per band member.

User Info Menu

Usually with us we work that out before we book the gig . There are only two people in our band that bring their GF's . When I joined the band I had passes printed up of our band . It has a picture of George (George Howard Band) on the front and "Guest" on the back . The GF's wear these at the gigs and that solves lots of headaches . It only gets them into the gig , they're on there own after that but sometimes they get special treatment because of the pass .
    Another thing you can do is make a guest list before hand and hand it to the guy who's booking the gig . Then a copy should be given to who ever is working the door . That also saves on headaches .
    Yea...I agree ..one free guest per band member .

User Info Menu

Wife and all my girlfriends get in free. Everyone else pays.

User Info Menu

^I see what you did there

User Info Menu

Like most people have said, in my short experience of gigging, three band members=3 guests.
    Sometimes it is just us and my Mum, because I am young, she comes with.
    And My sister used to come too, when she dated one of the boys.
    Any friends who turn up do expect to pay to get in.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

The deal is agreed BEFORE you book the gig. Having this debate after the booking has been made suggests that the deal has not be set up or thought about correctly. Of course, most of us have had to learn this the hard way. But, if you agree to play having already been informed that there is a cover charge with no possibility of free guests, then you know in advance without any right to gripe or have the option of not agreeing to play.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |