Thread: Want A Job? Want Extra Money?

User Info Menu

Default Want A Job? Want Extra Money?

No, this is not an advert for some get rich at home scheme. It's prompted by one of our drumming brothers here who is experiencing severe financial problems right now, and everybody has been giving him great support. I've been there, too, totally broke with a family, and digging out is hard, hard work.

But that thread made me think - what if I got into that situation again? How would I make extra money to pay off my debts? And it made me think of the example of a young friend of ours who took this problem head on. We live in a VERY small southern town, so jobs are almost non-existent. So this young, uneducated man began asking neighbors to mow their yards - yards so small that the established mowers would not mow them. Over one summer he had to hire four people to help him keep up with the demand.

But winter came, and the yard mowing disappeared. He began to ask local banks and businesses to do errands and jobs that nobody else would do. From cleaning storage buildings, to clearing foreclosed properties, to painting storefronts, to moving their personnel to new locations, even taking important documents to the next town. Anything. He would find a way to get the job done, regardless.

And he never hesitated to charge well for his services, totaling his expenses and doubling or quadrupling his costs as his fees. And nobody complained. They were willing to pay very well for the privilege of asking that something be done, and then being secure that the job would be done correctly every time. In other words, he was strictly honest, and utterly dependable.

Last year, after fifteen years of being a "go-fer," this young man told me that he just deposited his first million dollars. He has a crew of fourteen employees, a fleet of twenty trucks, and tons of trailers and other gear. And he and his family live a very solid middle class life.

And his business in this small town? He tells me he could easily double his crew if he could only find somebody he could depend on.

I tell this story as a beacon of hope for anybody who needs a way up. No education needed - just a huge dose of self confidence, go-to attitude, honesty, and complete dependability.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Default Re: Want A Job? Want Extra Money?

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    No, this is not an advert for some get rich at home scheme. It's prompted by one of our drumming brothers here who is experiencing severe financial problems right now, and everybody has been giving him great support. I've been there, too, totally broke with a family, and digging out is hard, hard work.

But that thread made me think - what if I got into that situation again? How would I make extra money to pay off my debts? And it made me think of the example of a young friend of ours who took this problem head on. We live in a VERY small southern town, so jobs are almost non-existent. So this young, uneducated man began asking neighbors to mow their yards - yards so small that the established mowers would not mow them. Over one summer he had to hire four people to help him keep up with the demand.

But winter came, and the yard mowing disappeared. He began to ask local banks and businesses to do errands and jobs that nobody else would do. From cleaning storage buildings, to clearing foreclosed properties, to painting storefronts, to moving their personnel to new locations, even taking important documents to the next town. Anything. He would find a way to get the job done, regardless.

And he never hesitated to charge well for his services, totaling his expenses and doubling or quadrupling his costs as his fees. And nobody complained. They were willing to pay very well for the privilege of asking that something be done, and then being secure that the job would be done correctly every time. In other words, he was strictly honest, and utterly dependable.

Last year, after fifteen years of being a "go-fer," this young man told me that he just deposited his first million dollars. He has a crew of fourteen employees, a fleet of twenty trucks, and tons of trailers and other gear. And he and his family live a very solid middle class life.

And his business in this small town? He tells me he could easily double his crew if he could only find somebody he could depend on.

I tell this story as a beacon of hope for anybody who needs a way up. No education needed - just a huge dose of self confidence, go-to attitude, honesty, and complete dependability.

GeeDeeEmm

GD, I know a guy in Jersey with a similar story. He didn't bank a million, but he started with next to nothing and, as of when I left Jersey, he had 3 flatbeds and a good solid business.

When I came back from the flipside, I was talking to a Army NCO who was catching a hop out of Seymour Johnson AFB. We got around to talking money (I was thinking of staying in as my VRB was $10K and I was a E-5 in a critical career field)

He said to me that if I made $15K a year, to live like I was making $10K. I didn't follow that to the letter, but, when I started making money (I had to leave the AF because of a back wound, the PTSD came months after I was discharged) I kept that in mind and tried to be careful with my money.

When I left Jersey, there were 2 friends of ours that were in the process of losing their houses because of dumb moves with their income.

Gregg will get out of this and it will be a lesson learned. I don't mean for that to sound sarcastic, too many good people have gotten themselves into jams with money. If it wasn't for a friend of mine that I have known since grammar school who became my accountant/investor, I would be living in a cardboard box over a subway vent in NYC.

User Info Menu

The OP's story is just one example of the opportunities that are available to each and every one of us in this great county of America. We are limited only by ourselves regardless of where we start. Everyone makes choices that lead us to where we are and it's never too late to begin to make the right choices and to turn things around. Great story. There are many more just like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    He said to me that if I made $15K a year, to live like I was making $10K.
    This simple principle has helped me a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    The OP's story is just one example of the opportunities that are available to each and every one of us in this great county of America. We are limited only by ourselves regardless of where we start. Everyone makes choices that lead us to where we are and it's never too late to begin to make the right choices and to turn things around. Great story. There are many more just like it.
    Not just America, pretty much anywhere you have functioning capitalism, this type of story exists

In the end, it comes down to just working hard and being willing to do what it takes to make ends meet.

User Info Menu

that is a inspirational story. Thank you for sharing. Really kinda makes you think and open your eyes

User Info Menu

Great thread. Love the successes.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Not just America, pretty much anywhere you have functioning capitalism, this type of story exists

In the end, it comes down to just working hard and being willing to do what it takes to make ends meet.
    Thanks for adding that jgz.....................unfortunately in all capitalist nations, we have way too many with an entitlement attitude............and I suspect the good old USA might be the worst.
    When we see what GDM describes, it makes you happy to know we still have people that know how to seize the opportunity.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My neighbor gives people rides to the airport and picks them up. I think he charges USA $ 100.

Another neighbor cleans houses. I think she gets $ 50 for 3 hours work.

I meet lots of handyman type people in my audiences. For $ 50 they will help you replace a water heater.

User Info Menu

Great uplifting thread and very inspiring. Thanks GeeDeeEmm.

Two things:

1. I'm going to move it to off topic.
    2. Let's be careful to avoid politics. It's one of those that can easily slip that way if we're not careful. Thansk!

User Info Menu

Gregg will get out of this and it will be a lesson learned. I don't mean for that to sound sarcastic, too many good people have gotten themselves into jams with money. If it wasn't for a friend of mine that I have known since grammar school who became my accountant/investor, I would be living in a cardboard box over a subway vent in NYC.
    We all need a helping hand sometimes. We're all human and we make mistakes along the way. I am very grateful for those with a big heart as I too have had some help through the years when times got tough. I don't know what I could have done without them. Always be generous and help others when you can. You never know when you might need it yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    We all need a helping hand sometimes. We're all human and we make mistakes along the way. I am very grateful for those with a big heart as I too have had some help through the years when times got tough. I don't know what I could have done without them. Always be generous and help others when you can. You never know when you might need it yourself.

You got that right, Tom. When I was at a very, very low point financially, I was naturally keeping a daily tab on my bank balance. One day an "extra" $1000 was deposited into my account. I still have no idea who that person was, but it was the big cushion I needed to dig out of the hole. I try to pass on the good every chance I get.

geeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I heard some guy say years ago, if you want to double your money, fold it and put it back in your pocket.

User Info Menu

I met a guy 2 weeks ago that did the same thing. He private contracted for banks, taking care of repossessed property, cleaning, repo cars, etc.. It was kinda funny; Im on my front patio and he pulls up in front. Gets out, looks around confused and asks where 817 N12th is. I said, "probably that empty lot right in front of you." He said the bank sent him to winterize a repossessed house. I told him the people moved out 5yrs ago and the house was so bad the city bulldozed the house due to health codes. I bet the bank was excited to know they repo'd an empty lot.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I heard some guy say years ago, if you want to double your money, fold it and put it back in your pocket.
    Nice!