Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keep it simple??

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keep it simple??

I think fills, etc., depends on your approach to drumming, the band you're in, the music you play. I believe a three pc. rock band, to be interesting musically, needs a really good drummer with abilities to compliment the great bass and lead guitar members. In which case a "laid back" drummer is good for keeping a drum throne warm but does nothing for the music. How would Led Zep sound with a non-descript drummer? Jeff Beck would be a solo guitar act without his famous drummers' collaboration. I don't even bother with Hendrix "Band of Gypsies." the Experience was better.
    Ok. Let the flames begin!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I think fills, etc., depends on your approach to drumming, the band you're in, the music you play. I believe a three pc. rock band, to be interesting musically, needs a really good drummer with abilities to compliment the great bass and lead guitar members. In which case a "laid back" drummer is good for keeping a drum throne warm but does nothing for the music. How would Led Zep sound with a non-descript drummer? Jeff Beck would be a solo guitar act without his famous drummers' collaboration. I don't even bother with Hendrix "Band of Gypsies." the Experience was better.
    Ok. Let the flames begin!
    I totally agree. You could say what would the police be without Stuwart Copeland.. I was in a top 40 band many years ago..and the drummer was let go for being too simple. I too struggle with creativity. So I started taking lessons from an old jazz drummer. Still going over the rudiments. We have to push ourselves to a degree. If we are not constantly learning new ideals,fills then we can fall into a rut where we only are regurgitating our old grooves.

I think it's easy to get frustrated. I would suggest recording yourself then learn some new stuff and in time it will work it's way into your playing and keep recording yourself and in time you will see the improvement.

User Info Menu

It all really boils down to this...Play the way YOU want to play!!

all the best...