Thread: Mesh head practice kit?

User Info Menu

Default Mesh head practice kit?

Im trying to find a non electronic mesh head practice drum set. Can anyone recommend one?
    I plan on getting the zildjian low volume cymbals to go with it.

I off set my bass drum I need to be able to mount the rack tom on a stand.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mesh head practice kit?

You can buy mesh heads for your existing drums , if you have any . Remo makes them for any size drum .

User Info Menu

I plan on getting a second kit to put the remo mesh heads on. I just wish there was a preexisting drum pad, like a Roland pad without the trigger in it, that I could get for a kick, snare rack and floor tom to make a kit out of.

User Info Menu

There are practice pad drum kits.

Occasionally I see electronic drum kits in resale shops. I don't know how well they work but in your case they would be just rubber pads anyway. I vaguely remember one priced at $ 40.

User Info Menu

I bought a single mesh head out of curiosity for comparison to foam rubber silencer pads for noise reduction (I'm an apartment dweller!). Although they work great and reduce the overall drum volume much more than foam pads - I couldn't find an inexpensive way to silence my cymbals to the same extent The contrast between whisper quiet drums and fairly loud cymbals (even though I put foam rubber pads on them) didn't work for me so I decided to stick with rubber pads on my drums for noise reduction.

Personally I would look for an old Pearl Export or similar - you can offset the toms by keeping one tom on the bass and clamping the other to a cymbal stand. Personally I didn't care for the boing, boing sound of mesh heads - the manufacturers claim that they can be 'tuned' - I suppose they can but I never managed to find a different pitch of boinginess that I didn't find irritating!

Foam rubber pads work well on any acoustic kit - but the term 'silencing' is relative, they do work but are nowhere near as effective as mesh heads.

User Info Menu

I bout some cheap mesh heads for my Sonor when I was in college they worked great. Neighbors still hated the hit of the bass drum but it was an apartment building.

They were cheap like Ddrum I'll check tonight when I go teach