Thread: New drumsticks already breaking ?

User Info Menu

Question New drumsticks already breaking ?

Hello fellow drummers,

I bought a pair of drumsticks (promark 5A american hickory) a few days back and after playing with them for a few hours a part of the tie got broken ( around 1/5 of the tip). this is the first time the sticks breaks this fast, my last sticks lasted nearly 2 years and so did the ones before them.
    I started playing much softer now but I still afraid that they will still break.
    Is there something else i could do ?

Also if I put duck-tape around the tip will it lower the sound and protect the tip?

User Info Menu

Default Re: New drumsticks already breaking ?

Aye yai yai

User Info Menu

No duct tape. You will get goo on everything.

I used to splinter tips when I used to use wood tips. Hasn't happened with nylon tips ever.

So with that said, do you have exposed cymbal stand tops? Ever since I started using quick release cymbal top retainers that problem no longer is a problem.

Another possible issue could be where you hit a cymbal with the stick. Any edge action?

3rd possibility could be just a bad batch of sticks.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bad sticks I say . Just get a new pair . If they keep you from playing the drums like you should then why bother ... may as well take up guitar !
    I have multiple pairs of sticks...some have split tips some don't I still use them anyway .
    Maybe your next pair should be nylon tips ....

User Info Menu

It happens. Just buy a bunch of sticks...you're going to break them.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. Yea, drumsticks break sometimes. It's not always the sticks. More often than not, you'll just hit the rim on a drum or the edge of the cymbal and it will pop. Sometimes it will break if you hit the bell of the cymbal too hard.

User Info Menu

I haven't broke good (not whittled down) sticks in years. When I was breaking them though, if they were relatively new I would use wood glue, and wrap the seam with electrical tape. After the glue dried I took off the tape. Some times I used a hose clamp also. Some lasted a long time after gluing, others not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Bad sticks I say . Just get a new pair . If they keep you from playing the drums like you should then why bother ... may as well take up guitar !
    I have multiple pairs of sticks...some have split tips some don't I still use them anyway .
    Maybe your next pair should be nylon tips ....
    Thank you for your reply .
    Well the problem is that drums aren't common where i live , neither are music stores so it's kinda hard (and expensive) to buy a new pair of sticks. And even harder to find nylon ones... i was planning to buy a 5b stick with a nylon tip last time but i couldn't find anything other than 5A wood tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    No duct tape. You will get goo on everything.

I used to splinter tips when I used to use wood tips. Hasn't happened with nylon tips ever.

So with that said, do you have exposed cymbal stand tops? Ever since I started using quick release cymbal top retainers that problem no longer is a problem.

Another possible issue could be where you hit a cymbal with the stick. Any edge action?

3rd possibility could be just a bad batch of sticks.
    Excuse my ignorance but I didn't understand the part about the exposed cymbal stand tops. Could you please explain it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    It happens. Just buy a bunch of sticks...you're going to break them.
    thank you for you reply .
    But like i told jedi , it's kinda hard to such a thing here
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Yea, drumsticks break sometimes. It's not always the sticks. More often than not, you'll just hit the rim on a drum or the edge of the cymbal and it will pop. Sometimes it will break if you hit the bell of the cymbal too hard.
    thank you for your reply .
    Any idea about how to not do this cause this may be something that i do specially with cymbals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I haven't broke good (not whittled down) sticks in years. When I was breaking them though, if they were relatively new I would use wood glue, and wrap the seam with electrical tape. After the glue dried I took off the tape. Some times I used a hose clamp also. Some lasted a long time after gluing, others not.
    than you for your reply .and the idea too.

User Info Menu

Where are you located, I have 4 pair of Pro Mark 5b with nylon tips brand new just don't use them, yours if you want them just pay for shipping.......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sergil92 View Post
    my last sticks lasted nearly 2 years and so did the ones before them.
    Please...............I practice many hours per week and also play a few gigs per month.
    I go through a pair of sticks every two weeks; I never break a stick, I just turn them into sawdust.
    I use VF (nylon tip) and buy them by the dozen pair.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Pro-Mark sticks are the ONLY brand I will not buy again. I have bought multiple pairs in different sizes and they all break and chip 2-3 times faster than any other brand. My advice is to try Vic Firth's or Zildjian sticks. Those are 2 of the best for durability in my experience. The best is Silver fox but they are hard to find.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sergil92 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but I didn't understand the part about the exposed cymbal stand tops. Could you please explain it?
    I'm referring to the threaded piece at the very top of the cymbal stand that you put through the hole in the cymbal. Sometimes a wing nut is used to hold the cymbal from flying off the stand. Sometimes there is nothing on top but the threaded piece sticking up through the cymbal which when hit with the tip of the stick will cause it to split.

I have quick releases on all my cymbal stands that cover the top of that threaded component.

Hope that helps.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Very interesting.

I bought a pair of the TX5AWs, just like yours, back in September for our show on the 26th.

I just broke them last band practice. So they lasted a bit over a month.

For me, with Promarks, this never happens. They always last longer than that. So I'm wondering if you and and I just got a bad batch of the same sticks? Hmm...
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Every drum shop I've been to has bucket of no-name drumsticks (usually near the counter). Sometimes they brand them under their own name but not always. They are usually less than half the price of the ones with the big names and have about the same life span. You simply root through and make pairs of the ones you like. When you go through sticks that quickly why go broke as well?

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've noticed that when I first started playing drums I was breaking sticks a lot more frequently than I do now. I attribute it mostly to technique. I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, but for me, I'm about 90% sure it was the way I was hitting the cymbals, and even more so the hi-hats.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Can't believe you had a pair last 2 years!

I'm feeling like a winner if my stick lasts two shows hahaha

User Info Menu

I also used to use the Pro Mark hickory sticks. I had the same problem with the tips. I went to the Pro Mark Oak, and it does not happen as easily. It seems that the on the hickory wood, the wood will come apart on the tips where the wood grain is ( kind of like a divot). Not so much with the oak.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Where are you located, I have 4 pair of Pro Mark 5b with nylon tips brand new just don't use them, yours if you want them just pay for shipping.......

Jim
    Ditto. I would happily send you sticks to keep you playing away. Send me a Private Message with your address. I am not kidding.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

^^^^^^ what he said.........

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

For me, I attribute it to the fact that I rimshot the snare about 90% of the time. Been doing it for years.

I try to angle my crashes a bit towards the stick's favor, to lengthen the life of them every bit that I can, but not so much to where I have to reposition on every crash.

But these TX5AWs just didn't hold up. They sound great on the drums, but I'd be eating through them quite frequently if I exclusively switched to them. I think it's worth it springing a few extra bucks for the Japanese oak 5As. They just don't split like that. They just shred, but they remain usable for months and months.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Sorry guys had exams so I wasn't able to reply.

Jim
    Thank you so much for your offer and generosity .
    But I am afraid that I can't accept it because my mind won't be at ease and i will feel really bad if something were to happen to them. Also, shippingit to my country will be hard because of the distance and all of the procedures that you will have to go through .

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Please...............I practice many hours per week and also play a few gigs per month.
    I go through a pair of sticks every two weeks; I never break a stick, I just turn them into sawdust.
    I use VF (nylon tip) and buy them by the dozen pair.
    Lol ,i guess the keywords here are 'many hours' i only practice 1 hour a day at most because my neighbour might end up killing me .

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Pro-Mark sticks are the ONLY brand I will not buy again. I have bought multiple pairs in different sizes and they all break and chip 2-3 times faster than any other brand. My advice is to try Vic Firth's or Zildjian sticks. Those are 2 of the best for durability in my experience. The best is Silver fox but they are hard to find.
    Which means it will be impossible to find them here.
    I can barely find promark sticks...

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'm referring to the threaded piece at the very top of the cymbal stand that you put through the hole in the cymbal. Sometimes a wing nut is used to hold the cymbal from flying off the stand. Sometimes there is nothing on top but the threaded piece sticking up through the cymbal which when hit with the tip of the stick will cause it to split.

I have quick releases on all my cymbal stands that cover the top of that threaded component.

Hope that helps.
    Oh,thanks you very much for clairfying things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhyle View Post
    Very interesting.

I bought a pair of the TX5AWs, just like yours, back in September for our show on the 26th.

I just broke them last band practice. So they lasted a bit over a month.

For me, with Promarks, this never happens. They always last longer than that. So I'm wondering if you and and I just got a bad batch of the same sticks? Hmm...
    Well maybe they really are. I barely touch the hi hat and they still get marks ocer them.
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Every drum shop I've been to has bucket of no-name drumsticks (usually near the counter). Sometimes they brand them under their own name but not always. They are usually less than half the price of the ones with the big names and have about the same life span. You simply root through and make pairs of the ones you like. When you go through sticks that quickly why go broke as well?

all the best...
    My friend also suggested the same thing . He said his brother buys drum sticks from their studio owner which are alot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I've noticed that when I first started playing drums I was breaking sticks a lot more frequently than I do now. I attribute it mostly to technique. I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, but for me, I'm about 90% sure it was the way I was hitting the cymbals, and even more so the hi-hats.
    Yeah i will try to look into that . I lowered my cymbal and hi hat a but to make sure that i am not hitting the edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Can't believe you had a pair last 2 years!

I'm feeling like a winner if my stick lasts two shows hahaha
    Hahahaha. I guess i was lucky with my older sticks then xD

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    I also used to use the Pro Mark hickory sticks. I had the same problem with the tips. I went to the Pro Mark Oak, and it does not happen as easily. It seems that the on the hickory wood, the wood will come apart on the tips where the wood grain is ( kind of like a divot). Not so much with the oak.
    Well sadly i can't find and oak drum sgicks here... they are all hickory and promark ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Ditto. I would happily send you sticks to keep you playing away. Send me a Private Message with your address. I am not kidding.
    ^^^^^^ what he said.........

Jim
    Thank you both so much again and again i am afraid i cannot accept them for the reasons i listed above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhyle View Post
    For me, I attribute it to the fact that I rimshot the snare about 90% of the time. Been doing it for years.

I try to angle my crashes a bit towards the stick's favor, to lengthen the life of them every bit that I can, but not so much to where I have to reposition on every crash.

But these TX5AWs just didn't hold up. They sound great on the drums, but I'd be eating through them quite frequently if I exclusively switched to them. I think it's worth it springing a few extra bucks for the Japanese oak 5As. They just don't split like that. They just shred, but they remain usable for months and months.
    i stopped doing rimshots so that i can protect my sticks a bit,which kinda works. And i can't find any oak drumsticks around here sadly.