Thread: Cool Exercise

User Info Menu

Default Cool Exercise

Man this one has my forearms really sore! My question is this if you practice this exercise how many months would take to reach the speeds this young man has playing 16th notes at 180bpm.

I'm doing it really slow at like 80 bpm and that's comfortable to me mainly because I'm trying to clean up my doubles,I recently learned it's all about the fingers the wrist will conk out at a certain speed alone. But I'm wonder just how long it took him to get these chops?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cool Exercise

I am sure it is different for everyone. Let us know how you advance. Maybe I will join ya and start doing it daily as well. I will let you know what speed I start at.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Will do..but again I'm moving at a snails pace.. I just feel you get no points for playing something poorly fast. That's why I'm slowing down everything. Especially the doubles. I can of course play them faster but then I get sloppy that's why I'm slowing it down.

Also I'm playing a lot of the Flam rudiments and it's a little bit harder to get the 16 note triplets and the 16th notes at 80 bpm..it's easily doable but then again it can get sideways quickly. Either out of time or just sloppy technique wise.

It seems to me that we have to be patient and let the muscles in our arms rebuild and develop overtime and to rush this is foolish...

User Info Menu

What kind of Metronome is that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Will do..but again I'm moving at a snails pace.. I just feel you get no points for playing something poorly fast. That's why I'm slowing down everything. Especially the doubles. I can of course play them faster but then I get sloppy that's why I'm slowing it down.

Also I'm playing a lot of the Flam rudiments and it's a little bit harder to get the 16 note triplets and the 16th notes at 80 bpm..it's easily doable but then again it can get sideways quickly. Either out of time or just sloppy technique wise.

It seems to me that we have to be patient and let the muscles in our arms rebuild and develop overtime and to rush this is foolish...
    I am just doing the one hand and alt. strokes one once a day. I am starting at 70 bpm 16th's, will try to go up 4bpm every 5 days or so. I will update.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've no ideal. But it looks cheap. I use this one made by Cherub. It's more the traditional type.. It's a windup But I can set an accent bell on it and it let's me know if my "One beat" is in time with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I dig those one handed 16th notes. I like to do them on the hi hats. Reminds me of Neil Peart's Tom Sawyer groove.

User Info Menu

That is awesome. I am going to try that everyday and see if I can get my hand speed up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    It's a Qwik Time QT-3 Quartz Metronome. A very simple metronome.

I have one...used it so much that it's held together using electrical tape.

Real inexpensive - usually around $10-15 and great on batteries.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

i like the separate hand routine.

I really like my exercises. All though more in depth they have helped me tremendously .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    It's a Qwik Time QT-3 Quartz Metronome. A very simple metronome.

I have one...used it so much that it's held together using electrical tape.

Real inexpensive - usually around $10-15 and great on batteries.
    Thanks ! I have a Matrix MR500. I am looking for something that does accents, and hopefully counts triplets.

User Info Menu

My instructor back in 1978 taught me an exercise that I use and teach still.
    You start out with four sixteenths per hand for four repetitions.
    Then it's eight sixteenth notes per hand, four times each.
    Twelve sixteenths, followed by sixteen each hand, four times.
    Then go back down to four sixteenths per hand backwards the same way.
    You can repeat the exercise as many times as you feel like, speeding up each time, or each day if that's your goal.
    I usually just do it twice as a warm up.
    Sometimes I move around the kit with it. That keeps it fun, too.
    Works great on equalizing and strengthening the feet, too. Though I go about one third the speed with my feet. LOL
    Last edited by Johnny G; 11-06-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Man this one has my forearms really sore! My question is this if you practice this exercise how many months would take to reach the speeds this young man has playing 16th notes at 180bpm.

I'm doing it really slow at like 80 bpm and that's comfortable to me mainly because I'm trying to clean up my doubles,I recently learned it's all about the fingers the wrist will conk out at a certain speed alone. But I'm wonder just how long it took him to get these chops?
    Hey im unable to see the exercise is it on youtube?

User Info Menu

Yeah it's on youtube.. here's a link to it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5EFWeTmLFs

If that doesn't work you can look up on youtube.. "The Secret Formula to Increasing Drum Hand Speed " By Kenneth Benson

I kind of got side tracked from doing this exercise the past day or two..Lately I've been going over Tommy Igoe's groove essential dvd.. Awesome dvd. great band he's jamming with too. Top notch players on that one.

User Info Menu

Yeah it's on youtube.. here's a link to it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5EFWeTmLFs

If that doesn't work you can look up on youtube.. "The Secret Formula to Increasing Drum Hand Speed " By Kenneth Benson

I kind of got side tracked from doing this exercise the past day or two..Lately I've been going over Tommy Igoe's groove essential dvd.. Awesome dvd. great band he's jamming with too. Top notch players on that one.
    Thanks bud

User Info Menu

Just watched the vid andits a really good warm up exercise i did the one hand at 60 bpm. Doing the exercise alternating the hand is really challenging but will do this every day for a month.thanks for the great share

User Info Menu

I would imagine it took him many months to get to where he's at now.. What I like about drills like this is it's concentrated on a certain muscle group when you are just doing the single hand.

I notice the other day just playing 8th notes on the high hat in a medium tempo grove no sweat.. But when you switch and start playing a much faster tempo song those hi hat 8th notes will wear the hand out pretty quick if you are not use to it.

For more experience drummers this is no problem but us beginning drummers will struggle at first with something like this. We don't have the stamina or at least I don't..then as we get tired we start flaming parts and the tempo goes out the window.