Hello all,
First of all, I'm new here. Second of all, I'm aware the topic of best drum heads may be beat to death (no pun intended). Instead of just asking what I should get, I'm going to tell what I have, what I use it for, and what I want it to sound like. Then I want a recommendation for the heads I should get, because honestly, I have very limited experience with picking drum heads. I'm going to be replacing all of the heads, resonant and batter.
The kit is actually my schools jazz band drums: a Gretsch USA Custom 4 pc. And I think it's birch, but I don't know for sure. I talked to the person who ordered it and he said it was the same thing that Mike Johnston plays. The sizes are 14x6 snare, which is actually maple with wooden rims, a 12x8 rack tom, 14x14 floor tom, and 20x? bass drum. We use it for big band jazz, not so much small group stuff. We play and record lots of Ellington, so maybe a vintage sound? I don't really know. I would just like to know what you all think would bring out the most sound potential in these drums.
Thanks,
Anders