Thread: New Dw snare Collectors series. Doubts....

User Info Menu

Default New Dw snare Collectors series. Doubts....

Hi I recently owned a used like new dw collectors snare. This is a 6x14 finish ply with mag throw off and true hoops. The doubt is this snare doesn`t have any certificate or mark inside shell. The seller said me it was from an endorser and came without certificate with timbre note. Can be true or maybe this isn`t original one?

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Dw snare Collectors series. Doubts....

Can you take a picture of the inside of the shell and the edges?

User Info Menu

The endorser story could be true . When I was playing in Texas with an artiste who was signed with Sony Records I had a short deal with ProMark drumsticks . My favorite stick was the 747 model but it had just become the Neil Peart Signature model and went up in price . When ProMark approached me I said that that was the model I wanted . So the guy brought me a box of 747's with no markings except for the ProMark logo . So yea if the guy was an endorsee sometimes they get one off stuff that would never hit the market so there is no need for all the paperwork or usual markings .
    If you payed a lot of money for it then it wouldn't be out of line to ask for some documentation . Especially if you're having some doubts . But if you got a good deal on it then maybe you should just enjoy playing it knowing you got a heck of a deal on it .
    Just my opinion .
    Good luck to you .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Depends on the age of the drum. DW did not always stamp the note/date/serial no. inside. Early black badge Collectors, the ones that say "A Quality Instrument" definitely, but some other black badges too. Does it have a DW badge and DW lugs? If so, it's probably legit.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Any pictures of the drum inside and out?

User Info Menu

My Collectors stainless steel snare has no note/label inside either. My understanding, for the metal snares at least, is that DW does not add the label for these drums.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Depends on the age of the drum. DW did not always stamp the note/date/serial no. inside. Early black badge Collectors, the ones that say "A Quality Instrument" definitely, but some other black badges too. Does it have a DW badge and DW lugs? If so, it's probably legit.
    ya this is true, but if its a collectors with a mag throw it should be newer.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Mag throw and true hoop are newer, like 2010ish on. Sounds like either the endorser story is true, or it's modern DW hardware on some other shell.

User Info Menu

I`ll take pictures inside shell and finish ply to send you. The finish ply is black galaxy, I saw some 2008 catalog and this color doesn`t exist.

User Info Menu

I post some photos from my new snare. What do you think is an original one?

User Info Menu

Any comment about this pictures? What do you think is new dw shell, old or another brand with dw hardware?

User Info Menu

Sorry.............I know nothing about DW but that is a solid-looking drum.
    Is that 10 plies I see ?
    Also looks like re-rings but not really ?
    Kind of odd.............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

pictures don't show up at work I'll have to look after work unless another DW guy chimes in

User Info Menu

Can't tell by looking at the pictures. The shell looks OK though. Is there a serial no. on the badge?
    You can call dw customer service and ask them about the drum and serial no. if it matters enough to you but they may/may not trace the no. for you.

User Info Menu

That's a DW. The shell is a 10+6 standard. That's a 10 ply shell with 6 ply rings. I own one. The color is called Black Galaxy, it's a DW exclusive. All of the hardware and badges are correct, and it would be quite expensive/cost prohibitive, to build a clone like that. It's the real deal, right down to the curly maple inner ply on the re-rings. Badges would cost $15 per, lugs $15 per (if you can get them), Truehoops $35 ea., Mag throw $45, plus the shell , plus the wrap (Black Galaxy!), plus True Sound snare wires, heads and tension rods. Yeah, it's a DW. About the endorser story, I couldn't say, and I couldn't care. The drum is a DW.
    Last edited by SunDog; 11-29-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I've never really seen the inside of a dw that close up before. Sure looks real. As sun dog says, there is a limit you can go, cost wise, to fake a drum.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Smile Re: New Dw snare Collectors series. Doubts....

Thanks for all comments. I was worry about it.

User Info Menu

Is the inside of the shell finished with a clear lacquer? DW does this to the inside of their snares. This could also be something to look at to tell if it's not 'real', etc. Looks just like mine though. That's a dw for sure

User Info Menu

looks authentic to me. (now that I can see pics)

User Info Menu

i have 3 DW snares, that looks like the real deal to me
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post
    My Collectors stainless steel snare has no note/label inside either. My understanding, for the metal snares at least, is that DW does not add the label for these drums.

Rich
    my black nickel brass has a sticker still.
    Sabian!!!