Thread: Sonor Hardware

User Info Menu

Default Sonor Hardware

Hi,

So last night we played the hard rock cafe here, and they had a quite ok Sonor Accent? Beech kit that minus the snare, had good sound.

BUT, who designed the hardware? The HH has a hexagon shape, so my jingles wouldn't go on it, the screw for the top hat mounted from the bottom instead of just being part of the mounting clutch (so instead of putting the hat on the screw/sleeve and then tightening the nut, you have to put the hat on the screw, then tighten it from the bottom), the BD legs had twice as much metal on them for design purposes only, the feet for all stands are unnecessarily large (lots of rubber, most of which doesn't actually contact the ground), and while the stands are the industry standard for today (twice as robust than needed) I found the boom arms quite short, I mean why have a heavy stand if the cymbal can't be all that far from it's most stable point.

And because I'm such a nerd, I did spend a lot of yesterday (sound check was in the morning) looking forward to posting this...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor Hardware

I have the 200 series HH, 2 cymbal stands, 1 400 series stand and the cheap, but good $54 kick pedal. My HH has the usual rod and clutch and the rubber feet don't bother me....
    Nobody makes a pedal of Sonor quality at this price range either. The kick legs are way lighter weight than those on my Yammies. Maybe this was an older kit?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Did you take photos of the HH cause I can't visualize which one you are referring to.

But I have an old sonor and a lot of weird things about it that are custom to only Sonor.
    But that is a point I love about them is you know it's THEIR brand THEIR product.

User Info Menu

I can't say about the H/H stand as I've never seen one with a hex shaped rod - the road and clutch on my Sonor 400 H/H stand are pretty much the same as any other I've seen.

I suspect the boom stand is a Sonor mini boom. I have a 400 series one that came with my Jungle kit - the 12" boom works perfectly for mounting the ride as the kick is only 16" diameter there is no requirement for a longer boom arm (I must admit it looks rather odd next to my other booms stands which all have 18" booms instead of the 12" of the Sonor) but it looks 'right' with the jungle - also the fact that there isn't an extra 6" of arm jutting out from the side of the ride cymbal helps if you have a small area to set up.

The large round rubber feet mean there is plenty of contact regardless of how wide you splay the legs - in comparison I have a Tama Road Pro, a Pearl 900, a Ddrums DX which have the standard shaped feet and can be opened to provide a similar (huge) footprint if needed - if you do this with any of my stands except the Sonor there will be minimal rubber contact with the floor. As the Sonor feet are oversized and ribbed there is always plenty of contact.

I must admit my first impression of the Sonor kick spurs was the same as yours - they do look rather spindly, however they work perfectly and set up takes seconds - it is impossible to accidentally have the legs at different lengths or set at different angles. Although they look odd initially it is a great simple design.

User Info Menu

Not sure of the year, I agree the pedal was good (too narrow for me, but that;s preference, nothing else). The kit didn't seem crazy old, and I'm pretty sure hard rock cafe has been here about 8 years so I doubt it's any older than that

My general issue with hardware today is that needless add weight in order to push up prices

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post

My general issue with hardware today is that needless add weight in order to push up prices
    I think the weight of hardware is because of customer demand and most modern hardware has great features - hide away booms, legs with lots of adjustment which makes them easier to 'interlock' if necessary - admittedly weight is an issue when it comes to carrying the stuff around, however the weight of the hardware means that, if needed, the stands have the capacity to securely hold large, heavy cymbals mounted at preposterous heights, additional toms or a forest of boom arms and cymbals if needed.

Light hardware would be perfectly adequate for home use- but I would pay close attention to how much weight was mounted to it (I own a 3.85 Kg Dry Ride and a 3 Kg Rock Ride - I wouldn't feel confident using hardware that is lighter than my cymbals.

If weight is your primary consideration have you considered one of those old style ride mounts that are fitted to the kick for a crash/crash ride (they look pretty light) and a Gibraltar style boom arm attached to the tom mount for a crash if you need it - that way you can 'lose' two cymbal stands.

User Info Menu

I don't own any Sonor cymbal stands so I can't talk about that.
    I do know that Sonor has been using that hexagonal HH rod for many decades, as my '68 kit came with one like that.
    Generally speaking, Sonor is legendary in the industry for having indestructible hardware. My floor tom has huge freakin feet, and sounds awesome, so, I don't care.
    I must have different bass drum legs, because mine are not as you describe. I like the spurs on my kick, though. I'll say that.
    And, the BD double tom mount is so beefy, we call it "the weapon" because you could totally defend yourself with that thing.
    I always want my hardware nice and heavy. I would rather take two trips from the truck than deal with stands that fail.
    My two cents, nothing more.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

If uploading pics here weren't such a pain, i'd make a thread showing how genius the FT legs are on the premier kit, while you cant get the height to the exact milimeter you might want, the way it works is so brilliantly simple, so light, absolutely no reason to do it any other way.

The kit has a BD cymbal mount, but it's old and the screws are just too worn out to be reliable, but considering it's 15 years older than i am, that;s not bad...

RE stand robustness, I'm still not sold. Is it customer demand or just good marketing and all the companies realizing they could make more money? Do drummers today play harder than they did in the early 70s? I don't think so.

I don't play with the heaviest cymbals, but I do use boom arms and clamps for other cymbals, they move a little bit (and according to my grohl and bohnam loving guitarist, i hit everything too hard) but never that much i worry about them falling over. I agree that mounting toms to them requires some weight...

Indestructible hardware...well that raises an interesting point: why would you treat your hardware any differently from your other kit? Of course, you don't put all your drums in the same bag like HW but I think you get my meaning. Anyway, I need to gig another year before I really can start talking...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I have sold a few pieces of Sonor hardware and none had any parts that were not interchangeable with other stands, except maybe the feet due to the shape. The feet on the boom stands I had were not huge, and the arms were pretty long, with counterweights too. Single-braced but very solid stands. I've had a few other clamps and things from them that were unnecessarily heavy.
    The only Sonor product I use is the Jungle Snare, and though that has some odd design features (due to the 2" depth), it sounds great and I haven't had an issue with it.

User Info Menu

My sonor limited edition hardware is the same. The hi hat rod is weird and a pain as you can ony use their weird hi hat nut. The rest of the hardware is rock solid and the sound of the beech IMO is superb, especially the snare. I would upload a pic but that hi hat stand is at my bass players house.

The rod on the stand is pretty much shaped like an octagon so a regular round hi hat nut will not slide over it

This is my bd legs and I love them. This is the lightest 22" BD I have ever owned and the legs snug up close to the BD when packing.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by MDK; 11-05-2015 at 07:27 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm on a quest to eliminate all heavy hardware! My BD feet slide back into the BD, light and easy

But as we all know, most of this is preference, except the HH stand, which as MDK knows, was very poorly designed and pretty much good only for practice space in my opinion.

User Info Menu

I agree that heavy-weight stands don't need to be double-braced(or is it double-legged?), snare stands & HH stands don't either( thank God 6 armed snare stands never caught on!); the thicker booms don't need to be solid, tubular is good just like the rest of the stand. The hide-away boom stands are a a good idea but having experience with 2 dif. manu. types, the booms tend to be solid & the extended booms aren't as fully adjustable as booms on non-hide-away stands. My Slingy kick legs slide out but need a mem. lock to keep them from sliding back into the shell, unfortunately, so not a real a mem. lock.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/