Thread: Istanbul Xist, Or Sabian XS20 (Hi Hats)

User Info Menu

Default Istanbul Xist, Or Sabian XS20 (Hi Hats)

I've been looking around for hi hats, and have narrowed it down to 2:
    1. Sabian XS20 medium Hats
    2. Istanbul Xist 14" hats

Has anyone had any experience with either of these?
    which ones sound better?
    which ones should i get?

Thank you,
    Henry
    Last edited by Tamastar; 11-10-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Found more hi hats
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Default Re: Istanbul Xist, Or Sabian XS20 (Hi Hats)

I'm currently on a cymbal buying binge and have my eyes set on a set of Xists. I just bought a 15" Xist crash that sounds astounding.

My vote is for the Istanbuls.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'm currently on a cymbal buying binge and have my eyes set on a set of Xists. I just bought a 15" Xist crash that sounds astounding.

My vote is for the Istanbuls.
    yeah, i've heard good things about the istanbuls...

...and the sabians
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

I own the XS and they are super versatile cymbals. They have a great overall clean tone that can be used for all genres. And so far they've even taken a beaten from me with no issues. I love my XS hi-hats. Even had two sets if it means anything because I liked them so much.

User Info Menu

I think the xs20 hats hats are the best for that price range. They have a nice click sound to them. I can't say anything about the xist hats, but I've heard that the crashes and chinas are amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Either the Istanbuls, or if you can go play some in person, Sabian SR2 can be a great deal if you get the right ones (every one is unique).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Either the Istanbuls, or if you can go play some in person, Sabian SR2 can be a great deal if you get the right ones (every one is unique).
    I've seen SR2s online, but i can't seem to find any online sellers. For now i am decided on the istanbuls, but if i see any SR2s i will have a look and try them out

User Info Menu

I can vouch for the Istanbul Xists, though I haven't played the Sabians.. I own a pair of 14" Xist Brilliant hi hats, and they are gorgeous. I interchange between those my K Customs, and to me they are right up there with them.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

BackStreetDrums Guest

Istanbul has a winner on their hands with the Xist series. I play Istanbul, have a 22" SE Jazz ride, 20" Flat Turk...17"-19" and 22" Xist crash.

The 22" Xist crash makes a nice ride as well...use it as a left side ride. Sounds soft, with a buttery feel, yet nice projection as the crash it is...as well as the 19 and 17".
    Have 15" Xist hats on order.

Price wise, for new the 22" cost $225, 19" $151 and 17" was only $117....Hats cost $219.00
    Excellent deals for NEW B20 Turkish handcrafted pies.
    Highly recommend/ Good Gosh, They're Istanbuls, how can you go wrong?
    Last edited by BackStreetDrums; 12-14-2015 at 04:44 AM.

User Info Menu

my personal opinion, based on the Xist Ion 16" effect crash: TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

I was totally set on buying this cymbal, went to the store, and it was simply dead. of course, every cymbal from every maker can sound different from how it should, but in the end, this is a bigger risk with handmade than factory produced.

I wouldn't call myself old school in many things, but when i consider that many of you buy cymbals online, I feel like some crotchety 80yr old yelling at whippersnappers to turn down their confounded jazz
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    my personal opinion, based on the Xist Ion 16" effect crash: TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

I was totally set on buying this cymbal, went to the store, and it was simply dead. of course, every cymbal from every maker can sound different from how it should, but in the end, this is a bigger risk with handmade than factory produced.

I wouldn't call myself old school in many things, but when i consider that many of you buy cymbals online, I feel like some crotchety 80yr old yelling at whippersnappers to turn down their confounded jazz
    It's interesting you bring this up. I completely agree with you however I remember when I was a whippersnapper I would go to a dedicated drum store and when I had an interest in a certain cymbol, the sales guy would vanish for a minute and come back with a thick stack of that model and I would sit in a corner and try them all. I suppose there may be a few places that do that but I don't know where they are, and I can say with certainty there are none within a 3 hour drive for me.

Anyone else face this conundrum?

As for the Xist, I played several crashes of theirs just today at my local music store and they were excellent, but a bit bright for my taste. But at that price point I'd almost overlook that or, if I could, play through a stack of them until I found the darkest one in the pile.