Thread: Storage Question

User Info Menu

Default Storage Question

Hello All,
    I have been away from the list for sometime, as some of you know with back surgery.

Beacause it will be sometime before I can play again (and my son is moving back in and taking my music room) I need to know the proper way or best way to store the drums. I do not have cases.

Any advice would be helpful.....Remove heads? Don't remove heads. Stack(or don't stack), etc.

Thanks,
    Lee

User Info Menu

i would say, bags for all the drums, cases for the hardware and cymbals, and then basically pile with the smallest to largest. but not too high if u've gt loads of drums, pile sensibly.
    caution drummer may bite

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by styx View Post
    i would say, bags for all the drums, cases for the hardware and cymbals, and then basically pile with the smallest to largest. but not too high if u've gt loads of drums, pile sensibly.
    Thanks Styx,
    By bags are you refering to a special bag I need to purchase for drums similiar soft guitar bag, or just plastic bags?? Does it hurt stacking the drums where the smaller drums set ontop of the heads of the next larger size?

Sorry for the questions, I just don't want the heads ruined when I am able to play again.
    Thanks,
    Lee

User Info Menu

Cool Storage Question

Hey, Lee--

Leave the heads on. If I'm reading Styx correctly, he means soft gig bags at the very least. While you can stack the drums on their sides without the bags, the gig bags would help keep the drums from getting dusty and dirty. At the very least, put some kind of padding (towels, maybe?) between one drum and the other to keep the lugs from scratching or damaging your heads--and don't stack them more than three or four per stack...

If you have cymbal bags, use them. On the stands and hardware, you might be able to cover them with sheets or towels. Don't cover anything with a plastic bag; they could trap moisture that could lead to pitting or corrosion on your stands...

Hope that helps ya, man...and I hope you don't have to wait too long to get back behind your drums!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WorshipHammer View Post
    Hello All,
    I have been away from the list for sometime, as some of you know with back surgery.

Beacause it will be sometime before I can play again (and my son is moving back in and taking my music room) I need to know the proper way or best way to store the drums. I do not have cases.

Any advice would be helpful.....Remove heads? Don't remove heads. Stack(or don't stack), etc.

Thanks,
    Lee
    How's your back Lee?

User Info Menu

Im with styx. When i get my first decent acoustic kit ill be getting bags to go with it. When i get the td 20 . Ill be using the boxes it came in like the instructions say until i can get road cases and calve the foam to fit the pads in them.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Yes, as DC said, how is your back doing? Did the surgery go well, and how is the recovery coming?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!