Thread: I don't break sticks very often.....

User Info Menu

Default I don't break sticks very often.....

I chose these sticks Saturday night, they didn't look much different before the night started!!! great balance...let's see if they last another gig this weekend!https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

User Info Menu

Default Re: I don't break sticks very often.....

Breaking sticks hasn't been a problem for me for many years now. A co-worker showed me how he achieves tremendous volume without necessitating the force I used to use. Up until that time, the only sticks I found that could withstand the beating I gave them were ProMark Japanese white oak, 5BNs. Today I'm still working on a dozen pair of Nova 5ANs that I picked up on clearance at Guitar Center years ago. In all those years, I've managed to break only one stick. And by careful positioning of the cymbals, I have very, very little splintering. Stick size is not much of an issue for me, either. As long as the stick is straight and sized between a 7AN and a 5BN, I'm satisfied. This stick issue is a bit odd for me, as over the years I've become quite picky about everything in my kit, while with sticks I've become a bit nonchalant. Go figure.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

With age (for me) came betterment of my technique as well as less slap-the-snare-rim- shot-death blows. Musical maturation. At 53 I still feel like I have my edge, I just swing a different hammer.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

i break 1-2 a gig.

I hit hard

User Info Menu

I play 4hrs every weekend, including gigs, and I go though maybe 3 pairs of sticks per year. They get chewed up just below the tip and eventually crack.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I was pretty proud to not break any the last time we played out. I have a video of the coolest stick break I ever had will try and post it up
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

About two or three a decade

all the best...

User Info Menu

Sailed a soft, felt mallet head thru the band last week while working on a cymbal wash for the intro to "Sweet Emotion!" Surprised the lot of them!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Breaking sticks hasn't been a problem for me for many years now. A co-worker showed me how he achieves tremendous volume without necessitating the force I used to use. Up until that time, the only sticks I found that could withstand the beating I gave them were ProMark Japanese white oak, 5BNs. Today I'm still working on a dozen pair of Nova 5ANs that I picked up on clearance at Guitar Center years ago. In all those years, I've managed to break only one stick. And by careful positioning of the cymbals, I have very, very little splintering. Stick size is not much of an issue for me, either. As long as the stick is straight and sized between a 7AN and a 5BN, I'm satisfied. This stick issue is a bit odd for me, as over the years I've become quite picky about everything in my kit, while with sticks I've become a bit nonchalant. Go figure.

GeeDeeEmm
    I got a couple pairs of 5B oak sticks to see if it would rid me of the tip chipping issues I've had. Sure enough, I managed to chip the tips on those too. I know that going to nylon tips would probably resolve this, but I prefer the sound and feel of wood. I haven't broken a stick through the shaft in years.
    Mmm... Saturns.