Thread: Snare Drum Tuning

User Info Menu

Default Snare Drum Tuning

My band and I played on the radio the other day and someone that heard us said my snare sounded like a tin can. What do I need to do with it. I was using hot rods.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Hot rods?
    If your snare has that tin sound to it which is generally an open and resonant sound, you wanna test out your snare wire and make it tighter to the snare side. If that doesn't cut it then tighten both sides all the way and work your way down from that. Mine is tightened completely on the batter and almost complete on the snare side.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Default Just a thought

if you were using a mic from the station to be brodcast and that was it I would not worry about it unless you don't like the way it sounds.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

sonic_underground Guest

Default snare drum tuning

Firstly when eve i play i never use hot rods. I dont see what they improve about the sound. what was your reason for using them?
    Also if it sounded like a "tin can" then try loosening the batter head. i had the same problem and loosened it off and now i much prfer it
    hope iut helps
    xx

User Info Menu

Were you using a metal snare drum? I assume that you were using hot rods to play lower volume in the radio studio. Another factor on radio sound could be the wattage of the station, quality and placement of the mic, and of course your tuning. If I heard it I could tell you much better without guessing. Blessings......

User Info Menu

i use hot rods most of the time, and you cant play them on the snare like normal sticks, they make a completely different noise that sounds unpleasant to me. i just do light rimshots to make it sound like a normal snare

User Info Menu

I'm guessing hot rods are a type of stick? lol
    I recently noticed how different sticks can make your drums sound awkward.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pearl1999 View Post
    My band and I played on the radio the other day and someone that heard us said my snare sounded like a tin can. What do I need to do with it. I was using hot rods.
    Thanks.
    Sometimes something as simple as a thin zero ring on the snare drum can take a lot of that ring out (for certain situations) and greatly improve the sound. It's worth experimenting with.

More tuning tips:
    http://drumbum.com/lessons/drum-less.../view/148/168/

User Info Menu

I used to have a similar problem when I was using a piccolo snare drum. It was an entry level Pearl steel shelled piccolo snare, and it sounded like a tin can too. Well, recorded that is. When I played live, the guitars and bass seemed to drown out the "pinginess" of the drum and you only heard the "crack!" If you've got your batter head really cranked, loosening it a bit could help, like sonic_underground mentioned.
    http://www.myspace.com/jammasterjones
    http://www.myspace.com/nervousexistence

Current Drum Setup: Sonor Force 2005 all Birch: 22" x 17.5" kick, 14" x 5" snare, 10" x 9" and 12" x 10" toms, 16" x 16" floor tom.
    Current Cymbal Setup: All cymbals are Paiste unless otherwise noted: 14" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hats, 18" 2002 Medium Crash, 18" Alpha Power Crash, 20" 302 Ride, 16" 502 China, 10" 502 Splash, and 12" Wuhan China.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zajn View Post
    I used to have a similar problem when I was using a piccolo snare drum. It was an entry level Pearl steel shelled piccolo snare, and it sounded like a tin can too. Well, recorded that is. When I played live, the guitars and bass seemed to drown out the "pinginess" of the drum and you only heard the "crack!" If you've got your batter head really cranked, loosening it a bit could help, like sonic_underground mentioned.
    i hear this all the time. Sometimes you dont notice the snares extremely "popish" sound with all the instruments drowning it out. but if you listen carefully, but if you listen carefully, you can hear the snares pop. but you can mainly just hear the crack of the snare.

User Info Menu

Cool Snare Drum Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by pearl1999 View Post
    Thanks.
    All those suggestions are excellent, Laf, but what kind of radio was your listener/friend/critic was using? If he was listening on a cheaper radio, the sound quality would make even Neal Peart or Phil Collins sound like he was playin' a tin can...

If you could get a recording or podcast of your show, you'd be able to hear it much as it left the radio station...but once it hits your radio's antenna, it's at the mercy of the radio...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i was listening to an alarm clock radio, it sounded bad

User Info Menu

If you want to try a different head try the Evans Genera dry head. I have on old aluminum Ludwig 5.5 snare and I put that head on there and it sounds great. I love the flat dry sound on my snare.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

hot rods make a snare sound that way when remotly miced. You really need to dry a snare out when using rods. You can use moongel or tape. But take all the ring out if possiable becasue rods accentuate ring. I use rods a lot and have had to learn this the hardway.