Thread: Cymbal striking

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal striking

Hello, I've been playing drums for about 4 months and I'm starting to learn fast, I hope it's not a dumb question to ask but can anyone tell me how to do repeated cymbal strikes? I know how to strike a cymbal but it seems when you hit it fast it starts flailing everywhere? I can't seem to keep it under control, and I never see lessons on quarter note crash strikes, it seems like every rock song ends with it? Does anyone have tips?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal striking

A lot of it depends on setup.

Angle of the cymbals and felts used (how tight they hold the cymbal)

I also come in with a angled swing. So more like waving a small flag in my hand motion at a parade... (hopefully that makes sense lol)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    A lot of it depends on setup.

Angle of the cymbals and felts used (how tight they hold the cymbal)

I also come in with a angled swing. So more like waving a small flag in my hand motion at a parade... (hopefully that makes sense lol)
    Right! You want to swipe across the cymbal, not chop through it. You also don't have to beat the snot out of it either. Many new players think they need to really lay into the drums and you don't.

Keep playing and have fun!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Thank you!

User Info Menu

This why it's good to have more than one crash! Alternate hitting each in turn, allows each to simmer down a bit before the next strike.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Everything they said. Start off right and you'll save some money by not replacing cracked cymbals. I've had several that I've owned for over twenty yr. and I don't hold back. I hit them pretty hard, but I hit them right.