Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evans Heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Heads

Solution simple. Use the one that "doesn't" wrinkle.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Solution simple. Use the one that "doesn't" wrinkle.

all the best...
    ? Ummm yeah.... cool thanks.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    LOL ya know that actually sounds like something a marketing rep would say..well done!

Wow....you're right. I guess working in engineering/marketing/sales for 25yrs has had an effect on me. I'm not sure if that's good or bad
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

By all means check the edge on a known flat surface, preferably a granite surface plate, but the chances are the head is faulty since other heads mount OK.

User Info Menu

I like G2s over G1s, both clear. I have never tried coated heads; the only non-clear heads I've used were Evans Black Chromes over clear G1s. I think this is in part aesthetic, but I probably SHOULD give G2 coateds a try, just to see. When I got my first set of DW drums, the toms had a mix of heads on them, and one had an Ambassador X on it. So when I got my new Cherry DWs, I just got a whole set of coated Ambassador X heads, so I've got a set of coated heads to try (admittedly maybe not the 'best' kind) and since I have them, maybe I should try them, just for fun!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

MDK, yes I've had the same thing happen to me with a 2 ply but on 10" tom. I gave up and just tightened it way down. More than I wanted. Ordered new and different heads later.

Cabasner, I have the Amb.X, coated over clear remos on my Yamaha Touring Maples and I'm surprised at their durability. Seem to sound a bit like coated G2 360's, a little less bright.
    Last edited by slinglander; 05-21-2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added comments
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

well I put it on my absolutes and it had no wrinkles. Further investigation found 2 tension rods were a lil galled and giving the impression they were tight when in fact they were not. Not sure why it did not show on the single ply heads though? Ehhh whatever I think they are good now. Really have not had a chance to play and tune it much yet though
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Very pleased with what I get using Coated G2's over EC Reso's both live and studio. Guess best way to figure it out is to experiment. Gets expensive, but, only way you'll know IMHO.
    Hey Pocket! Curious whether you have tried the Coated G2s over Clear G1s. Right now, I am running Clear G2s over Clear G1s, and am interested in hearing the difference with the Coated G2s over the Clear G1s. I happen to also have a set of the Clear EC2 Resos for all my toms, so I could try either the coated G2 over Clear G1 or over clear EC2 Resos. So, if you've tried the Clear G1s, what do you like about the EC2 Resos compared to the G1s? Just curious.
    Last edited by cabasner; 05-26-2016 at 01:28 PM.
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I decided last night to try coated G2s over EC2 resos. I have to wait to get my G2s in the mail but started changing to the EC2 reso heads last night... Wondering what this is gonna sound like...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I decided last night to try coated G2s over EC2 resos. I have to wait to get my G2s in the mail but started changing to the EC2 reso heads last night... Wondering what this is gonna sound like...
    I put Remo Pinstripes as reso heads and loved it!! It gave the toms more tone and brought out sounds I never heard due to the double plys batters verses single ply reso heads that were previously on the kit. You may find the rebound from the stick a bit different too.

User Info Menu

Oops. I said EC2 reso heads in my prior posts. There isn't any such head...I meant EC reso heads. Both the G1 and the EC reso heads are 10 mil single ply heads, but the EC heads have the built in dampening, plus I believe that the Mylar film itself is different between the two heads because the clarity of the Mylar is different.
    Last edited by cabasner; 05-26-2016 at 05:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I put Remo Pinstripes as reso heads and loved it!! It gave the toms more tone and brought out sounds I never heard due to the double plys batters verses single ply reso heads that were previously on the kit. You may find the rebound from the stick a bit different too.
    Rich,

Are you saying that you think the double ply heads for both the reso AND batter sides, in your case, is what sounds great? In my case, I'm still going to have a double ply batter and a single ply reso...

User Info Menu

A set of coated Evans G2s are on their way to me, but just to get jump on things, I just put the EC reso heads on the bottom of my 14", 16" and 18" floor toms. Wow, I have to say that I may have ordered the coated G2s before I needed to! While I'd written in a prior post that I just wanted to try some coated heads, I gotta say that the clear G2 batters over the EC reso heads sound pretty darn good! I don't think I'd ever tried that before. Tomorrow, I'll finish putting the EC resos on my 12" and 10" rack toms and see how they sound. I will still probably try the coated G2s on at least one tom when they arrive, maybe the 14", but I'm pretty impressed with the sound as it is! I like it better than the with the clear G1s on the resonant side.