Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Professional Looking Hardware?

User Info Menu

Default Most Professional Looking Hardware?

I was browsing through the various manufacturer's current hardware lineups (cymbal stands, hi hats, snare stands, etc.) and was surprised at how many current designs are similar - almost cookie-cutter sameness. I'm not talking about function, only appearance. My long time favorite has always been the Yamaha 900 series stands. They are simple, elegant, and classy.

The Yamaha 700 series are a favorite, as well, and for the same reasons. But with the 800 series stands, except for their wonderful tilters, Yamaha has joined the cookie-cutter legions. Especially the leg design - which looks almost identical to Pearl, Gibraltar, DW, Mapex . . . almost all the others.

But my little foray through the world of hardware has yielded a new winner in the design category. The new Tama Star line of hardware tops the field when it comes to beauty and elegance.

The good news here is that even if we can't afford the price tag of the Star series, the RoadPro hardware offers the exact same graceful design as their more expensive siblings, but with much simpler features.

What do you think? Which hardware puts the sparkle in your eye? (Remember, we're talking strictly about appearance and beauty.)

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Default Re: Most Professional Looking Hardware?

I have almost all TAMA Roadpro hardware and one of the Star stands shown above. It's absolutely killer but a bit over the top. The swivel boom extension is superb and the tilt factor is completely versatile in all aspects. Fairly pricey, though.

Roadpro is a great value for dollar.

I also have a Yamaha hardware pack that does the job. It's mated to my Yamaha Live Customs.

Lastly, I have matching hardware for my Pearl Masters and a 503 Icon rack.

Good thread!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

you know I agree my Yamaha stands are very elegant and I do love them over a lot of my other stands and I own a lot of stands.

User Info Menu

Tama Roadpro is The best hardware i have ever used
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    Tama Roadpro is The best hardware i have ever used
    sure but it's not about what you've used... it's about cosmetics.

User Info Menu

All makers have some decent options.
    ROAD PRO is apparently the best value..........bang for the buck.
    I own three (my most recent three purchases) of their stands and they really are all one would need.

TAMA also makes an impressive selection of heavy clamps...........love those too.
    I also own some stands (old & new) from Ludwig, Gibraltar, and even the top PDP line is good.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

In terms of visual appeal, I love the vintage flat-base look. Very classy. New stuff.....can't say I've ever paid much attention to the visual aspect. I do, however, like the look of my only Mapex stand. The clamp sections are molded in to the tube and the memory locks blend right in. Over-all, a very clean, sexy & sculpted look.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I find this quite profound. I just see hardware and stands as pieces of steel that perform specific functions like handles on screw drivers and such. I mean...what's prettier to look at?...A set of Snap-on sockets or Craftsman? LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

So what do the pros use? Who noticed?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    sure but it's not about what you've used... it's about cosmetics.
    sorry boss

Roadpro looks nice aswell, i like that the tama logo is on the tilter.
    I really like the look of flat base stands, but only on a 4 or 5 peice kit
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

What about DW's gold hardware package? I think that's sexy...

User Info Menu

I've never thought about it, honestly. My concern has always been function. I have all kinds of hardware from many brands, my cymbals have a variety of finishes, etc.
    Having said that I will have to go with Yamaha.

User Info Menu

I love the roadpro hardware. The price is very good, and the legs look very professional. Not only do they look good but they function great too!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

All high end hardware looks good to me.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the recent penchant for black or gold hardware. One feature I would particularly like included in any future cymbal stand purchases I make is gearless tilters in case I want to angle my cymbals at 5.023 degrees instead of 5. - unfortunately the ones I can afford seem to sport black plastic levers - ugh!
    Last edited by crispycritters; 11-18-2015 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Gibberish

User Info Menu

I use all Pearl 900 series stands and pedals. Tough as nails, smooth as silk and beautifully plated.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I mean...what's prettier to look at?...A set of Snap-on sockets or Craftsman? LOL

all the best...
    SnapOn, for sure. However, I do have a set or two of Craftsman and another set of Vice Grip tools that have evolved into that smooth, sculptured flow that has been a SnapOn hallmark for years. Oh yes, I like beautiful tools, too. A fine-toothed ratchet on a slinky, sexy handle makes me look forward to getting greasy and dirty together, having a smoke afterwards, then cleaning up the mess we made. Wait . . . what were we talking about now?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    SnapOn, for sure. However, I do have a set or two of Craftsman and another set of Vice Grip tools that have evolved into that smooth, sculptured flow that has been a SnapOn hallmark for years. Oh yes, I like beautiful tools, too. A fine-toothed ratchet on a slinky, sexy handle makes me look forward to getting greasy and dirty together, having a smoke afterwards, then cleaning up the mess we made. Wait . . . what were we talking about now?

GeeDeeEmm
    I own all craftsman but I'd love snap on lol

User Info Menu

I own all craftsman but I'd love snap on lol
    me too!

IMO, the most "professional" appearing hardware is DW. It just looks rock solid.

As most of us have, I've used an assortment of hardware over the years, and the DW stuff is the best I've used.....................pricey and heavy, but still my favorite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    me too!

IMO, the most "professional" appearing hardware is DW. It just looks rock solid.

As most of us have, I've used an assortment of hardware over the years, and the DW stuff is the best I've used.....................pricey and heavy, but still my favorite.
    There's just no denying the stability of the DW hardware. My local GC had just taken in a new/used CP9300AL snare stand last weekend and marked it at a super low price that I couldn't pass up. It's built like a tank, and weighs as much, too:

But, back to the looks department, it does not hold a candle to the design elegance of the Tama Star stand:

I'll continue to be totally satisfied with my lowly Yamaha 700 series hardware, but for right now Tama has the looks department nailed down solid.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

For my gig this weekend, I'm using the oldest hardware I have 30 years old......single brace stands, a 4 piece Stewart kit, gettin a little tired of lugging around all this heavy DW hardware (insanely heavy, but on 1 stand i have 2 toms, 2 cymbal arms with cymbal stackers on them).....great stuff but not for the little pub gig we have on the weekend....

User Info Menu

Personally I like the vintage-style flat base stands, for both their looks and light weight.. The originals, however, were somewhat flimsy and unreliable.

Ludwig has created an Atlas Classic line that combines the advantages of the vintage HW with today's modern construction methods and quality. As a result, these stands are rugged enough for all but the most demanding road scenarios, They are really well made - great chrome, sturdy but still light weight.

I know some folks are put off by those big rubber feet - but there's a functional reason for them. Each rubber end has an upper and lower slot. By alternating what slot you use among your stands, you can easily have the stands straddle each other - which really makes it easy to position each stand exactly where you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    My local GC had just taken in a new/used CP9300AL snare stand last weekend and marked it at a super low price that I couldn't pass up. It's built like a tank, and weighs as much
    I did the same with a heavy duty Ludwig snare stand............very solid.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

What about DW's gold hardware package? I think that's sexy...

GAWDY might be a more appropriate word.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post

Personally I like the vintage-style flat base stands, for both their looks and light weight.. The originals, however, were somewhat flimsy and unreliable.

Ludwig has created an Atlas Classic line that combines the advantages of the vintage HW with today's modern construction methods and quality. As a result, these stands are rugged enough for all but the most demanding road scenarios, They are really well made - great chrome, sturdy but still light weight.

I know some folks are put off by those big rubber feet - but there's a functional reason for them. Each rubber end has an upper and lower slot. By alternating what slot you use among your stands, you can easily have the stands straddle each other - which really makes it easy to position each stand exactly where you want.
    This. This. And this.

Flatbase stands are just prettier. You cans see the drums better. If you want functionality, get a rack.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

I still use two Atlas/Ludwig heavy duty cymbal stands that were built in 1973.
    Although single-braced, they are functionally perfect; I have replaced the rubber feet, of course.

I keep them in places in my set-up that make them less than obvious, because I do care about the look of my kit, but I'm not throwing out old hardware if it is still good.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian