Thread: advise on which kit to purchase

User Info Menu

Default advise on which kit to purchase

advise on which kit to purchase

I’ve been playing for just over a year. I use a Roland electronic kit at home. I’ve started playing with a band so am considering purchasing an acoustic kit to use for rehearsals and gigging.
    - top of my budget is £500 - 600 for the kit, cymbals and hardware
    - I’d look after the kit but I know it’s going to get some knocks with it being carted around/ setup/ dismantled so perhaps I don’t want to get something I’m too precious of
    - the band I’m playing with is guitar based indie/ alternative if that is a factor

looks like I can get more for my money with a second hand kit. I’ve seen a couple that look decent so after some advice on which be the best to go for, I could probably get each for £350. if not either of these two perhaps I should go for summit else?

tama silverstar birch -mint cond - zildgen planet z cymbals, all hardware - think the bass drum on this one is 18" - would that be too small for the type of music we play?
    [link removed. please see forum rules. - Tom]

pearl masters studio birch -
    [link removed. please see forum rules. - Tom]

I’m guessing the pearl is a better quality kit. does £350 sound a little expensive? is there anything i should be wary of with buying an older kit?

cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: advise on which kit to purchase

Tama Silverstars are amazing kits. The Planet Z cymbals are absolute garbage though, so you would need to sell those and get something playable if you are going to gig with it.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC. Pearl Masters Studio Birch are great drums and I think 350 is a fair price for such good quality drums. Good luck to whatever you decide.

User Info Menu

I'd go for the Tama. If it comes with Tama hardware that is a definite plus. £350 is an absolute steal - if complete and undamaged I'd jump at it.

Edit - I missed the fact is has an 18" kick, although its a great kit its not worth considering if the sizes don't work for you.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 11-19-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: I misread the original post.....

User Info Menu

Pearl Masters every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Yes it is better quality, especially if it's up against one of the 1st year or 2 model of SS.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

It depends on what music you play. I suspect an 18 inch bass drum might be small.