Thread: Miking out drums??

User Info Menu

Default Miking out drums??

Hi everyone, I'm curious about miking out my drum kit. Im sure I need mics and some sort of mixer board. but I would like to know what in general I should looking for or what would be a good set up for playing out as well. In this set up I would like powered angle monitor pointed at me so that I could hear the music and maybe an input for headphones. Also at some point I would like this setup to use with an audio interface in the future to record my own drums. Thank you any help would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Miking out drums??

I bet you will get a lot of different opinions on this one... so I'll start with my opinions.

First thing I would do is go on youtube and listen to a lot of the different drum mic comparison videos they have online. Granted it's not your kit, your tuning, your mixing it will still give you a good idea of the difference in quality and cost.

Now with that said. I've been playing out for many years. The best bang mic I have found is the Sennheiser e600 Series Gooseneck Dynamic Drum Mic Kit. These mics are super durable, small and out of the way and pack a great punch. I don't use the bass drum mic though I'm using a sure beta 52A myself. So you may want to look at mixing and matching. I know with the Senheiser you can buy 3 packs and singles etc and build your own kit.

I can't give you any opinions for mixing boards as I've never owned my own.

But as far as monitors I would really advise you to look into in ear monitors (IEM) as I will never go back to a angled speaker monitor ever again. I feel so spoiled with an IEM as I can control everything and as I'm playing adjust volumes as some songs are softer and some louder. Also helps control stage volumes and of course I can hear more accurately over fighting the sound of my drums over the monitor.

User Info Menu

I agree with everything Spaz just said.

I have been using Audix mics for the past 5 or so years and really like them. I get great response from the D2 series for my Rack and Floor Toms and the D6 has to be one of the best Bass Drum Mics still on the market. The punch you get from the mic if properly EQ'ed is second to none IMO.

I also have a Shure 57 Beta for my snare drum.

I run my mikes through a Behringer XENYX 1002B board. 5 XLR channels for my drums and the AUX for my main mix feed.

I too have changed from a wedge monitor to a pair of WESTONE UM Pro 10 In-Ear Monitors. My God, what a difference in being able to hear whats going on with my kit and also the rest of the band!! Best move i've made and feel it's made my drumming more musical.

[Commercial links removed. Please see forum rules. Thx! - Tom]

Hope this helps!!

BackStreetDrums Guest

Heil mics....The best, and not expensive.

User Info Menu

I don't know what your mic budget is, but I've been using the Audix DP7 mic kit and it sounds pretty awesome.

I don't have much experience with mixers. The only one I've ever used was a Beringer SX3242FX. For a live board, it was pretty decent for the money but it's not powered.

As for a USB interface, I'm using the Tascam US-1800. It has just enough XRL inputs to get my 8pc kit all mic'ed up. Works really well for home recording.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

I have AKG C418, D112, C1000, three Sennheiser e604, an Audix D6 and a handful of SM-57. All good capable mics. I also have a Digital Reference pack that cost $99 and it honestly is really good. Get a Mackie board though. Mackie pre-amps are way better than Behringer. A small board with some powered speakers and a powdered sub will sound completely pro.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the replies! I am familiar with the Audix, Sennheiser, and Shure's. that being said, that Audix set up is neat. I will look into these and again thank you all for pointing me in the right direction.

User Info Menu

my setup

kick - internal - shure beta 91a , external - Audix d6 (studio only i use a NT2A about 4 feet out front)
    snare - both top and bottom I use the Shure sm57
    toms - shure beta 56a
    hihat and ride I use two Rode nt5's
    cymbals/overheads - using a set of Rode NT2A's

depending on the gig i either use a 24 channel Allen&heath desk or a 16 channel mackie,

lexicon mx200 for kick compressor and snare reverb

Recording - Liquid Saffire 56 for my I/O and abelton live as the main DAW, Liquid mix DSP for my software compression

Foldback i use a 15" powered mackie sub with a 12" + horn on top in live situations , i use closed back headphones when im recording
    Last edited by itchie; 11-24-2015 at 01:38 AM.

User Info Menu

At this point I'm down to 2 overhead Audix condensers, Shure kick and snare mic and that's it. Easier to setup and found I don't really need to close mic every drum.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle