Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood vs Metal snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wood vs Metal snare

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Can't do it brother.
    You walk into a room where someone is playing and the snare sound grabs your ears it's so sweet. You hear a recording and the snare sounds so good it's all you're listening to. You sit down behind your kit and play and you get lost in the music and the sound of your instrument because this is exactly what a snare should sound like. Holy moley! all three were the same snare!

Was it metal or wood?

You can own many snares built with many materials/constructions but there is that ONE. Wood . . . or . . . metal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I haven't played a large variety of snares, but from my experience with birch, maple and metal, I think if I had to pick one, I'd go with my Ludwig Acrolite.
    I had an old blackrolite that I wish I still had! I use a Ludwig 6.5x14 Element birch that I like a lot! It depends on the music and or venue for me.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

DW Collector's NOB
    Karl

2015 Yamaha Live Oak Custom Black Shadow Burst
    22x18, 16, 14, 12, 10

DW Collectors Nickel over Brass 6.5 x 14
    Tama Starphonic Bubinga 6 x 14
    Tama Starclassic B/B Performer Natural White Oak 7 x 14
    Mapex Black Panther Blade 5.5 x 14
    Yamaha Loud Series Musashi Black 7x14
    Sakae Polished Steel 6.5 x 14
    Q Drum Co Brushed Aluminum Plate Series 6.5 x 14

Zildjian K And K Light Cymbals
    Remo Heads
    Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide Pedal
    DW5000 Hardware
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

I love my Pearl Chad Smith Sig steel snare & it's become my main one.
    I recently got the Mapex Armory Exterminator (Birch/Walnut) and that sounds great too. I thought it'd be a more mellow sound, but I took it to band practice & the guys complained because it was so much louder that the steel one! Who'd have thought it?!
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    You can do it. You climbed up the ladder to the high-dive, now jump. You can do it! Jump! JUMP!
    Alright .....BRASS! There, you made me say it.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Alright .....BRASS! There, you made me say it.
    Doesn't that feel good? It's like the weight of the world is off your shoulders, isn't it

User Info Menu

supraphonic

(400)
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    You walk into a room where someone is playing and the snare sound grabs your ears it's so sweet. You hear a recording and the snare sounds so good it's all you're listening to. You sit down behind your kit and play and you get lost in the music and the sound of your instrument because this is exactly what a snare should sound like. Holy moley! all three were the same snare!

Was it metal or wood?

You can own many snares built with many materials/constructions but there is that ONE. Wood . . . or . . . metal?
    Alright, alright already........geez. If I had to pick a snare to go into the coffin with me it would be my Pearl Masterworks Rosewood.

Man, glad you're not trying to sell me a time share.

User Info Menu

Wood, and if I had to pick a specific one, probably birch.

User Info Menu

Both. I have had great wood snares and I have had great metal snares. One is not better than the other.

User Info Menu

Metal for me. Sometimes I get crazy and buy a wood snare, but then I tend to just sell it.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I prefer metal snares (copper and brass specifically) because they are more versatile, IMHO. They can be made to almost sound like a wood snare if required. Conversely, it is real hard to get a wooden snare to have that unique metal ping if that should be required for some reason.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    I prefer metal snares (copper and brass specifically) because they are more versatile, IMHO. They can be made to almost sound like a wood snare if required. Conversely, it is real hard to get a wooden snare to have that unique metal ping if that should be required for some reason.
    +1

While I much prefer the warm, woody crack of a single ply maple drum, I do find myself gigging with brass the vast majority of the time for this reason ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    Both. I have had great wood snares and I have had great metal snares. One is not better than the other.
    I have a Supra I love, a Jazz Festival that can't be beat for a certain vintage sound, and a gretsch maple that is great. Love em all for different applications. One is no better than the other - you're correct.

But, you can't pick both in this thread. Everybody leans - what's your preference?

User Info Menu

If it can only be one, for me it's a Supraphonic, the most versatile snare drum ever, IMO. So, metal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joecut View Post
    If it can only be one, for me it's a Supraphonic, the most versatile snare drum ever, IMO. So, metal.
    Yep. The Supra's kinda like every other metal snare rolled into one.

all the best...

User Info Menu

+1 on the Supra, it is an excellent workhorse snare drum ... and so light and easy to carry around to boot ...

User Info Menu

When I was younger, I used the steel snare that my mom bought for me for school band for my first kit. I don't even remember what brand it was. But I knew it well, and how to tune it to get the best sound out of it. It was a good snare, and I think you could have put pieces of cardboard on it, and it would still sound good. When I started drumming again, I bought a Ludwig Element kit, and it had a wood snare. I had to start all over again. It took a while, but when I finally found the sweet spot for it, and it sang. But to me it still sounded dry compared to steel. When I bought my Mapex Armory, it came with the stock steel Tomahawk. I am in love with this snare. Low to high tuning, there just isn't a place where it doesn't sound good. But I usually prefer to stay in the mid to high range. I guess you could say that I prefer steel. I know that my experience with wood snares is on the lower quality end of the spectrum, but steel just seems to sound better to me.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

I only have 3 snares; a 12x4 Maple Lil' Squealer, 14x6.5 steel Tama (old Swingstar) and the 14x5.5 PDP Maple Concept. I prefer the sound and feel of the Maple PDP best, but I actually use the old Tama steel more. It seems to fit in better sound wise with the different kits I gig with and the music we play. If I use my PDP kit, then I play the PDP snare.

I'm thinking about buying a used Acrolite or Black Galaxy. I can get a used student model for $100, and they seem like a pretty good snare.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Metal snare for me, I like the sound and the attack!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Once in a while this:
    Is that a phantom? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Back to the topic at hand. All of the snares that I currently own are metal. 2 are brass, one is aluminum. The aluminum drum gets played the least. I keep telling myself that the next one will be wood, but I always seem to find better deals on metal snares.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I am a dedicated "metal" snare guy...............I have several snares, but my Supra and BB are what I use the most

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Is that a phantom? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it.
    Nope. It's a Cherry Bomb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    All of the snares that I currently own are metal. I keep telling myself that the next one will be wood, but I always seem to find better deals on metal snares.
    Me = opposite.
    All my snares are maple.
    However, a 7X13 Black Magic is due to arrive tonight.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I am a dedicated "metal" snare guy...............I have several snares, but my Supra and BB are what I use the most
    The Supra phonic is arguably the best snare on Earth. If it was the only snare you owned, you'd be lacking for nothing!

all the best...