Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wood vs Metal snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wood vs Metal snare

Wood
    Mapex Saturn V 14x5.5 snare
    Mapex MPX 13x6 Birch Snare

Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Both, but most of my snares are wood. lol. My most wood sounding snare would be my 14X8 Ludwig. OLD SCHOOL!DSC01833.jpgDSC01834.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Both, but most of my snares are wood. lol. My most wood sounding snare would be my 14X8 Ludwig. OLD SCHOOL!DSC01833.jpgDSC01834.jpg
    Just waiting for you to add that my collection..... xoxo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kzac View Post
    There probably is less of preference in the variation of these two materials and more the need for sound ... you left out Plastics of course which include acrylics and fiberglass.
    1) The advantages of metal (depending upon which is used) is that the material tends to move less related to moisture and temperature, therefore metal will stay in its relative position and the sound of the instrument will not vary widely. Metal is very dense and vibrates at a very high frequency when compared to far less dense materials such as Wood

2)Wood on the other hand is sustainable to both moisture and temperature and where it will not move as much as acrylic it will move around and vary pitch and sound. Wood tends to have a warmer and sometimes deeper tone than metal

3) Plastics Acrylics will move, because the material is susceptible to temperature variation, but is not susceptible to moisture... they provide a tone much like that of metal however their material density is less so they tend to vibrate at a slightly lower frequency

4) Perhaps the most stable material next to metal will be resin injected glass fiber, its temperature movement is more in line with metals (but less) It will move in extreme temperature variations but not as much as wood or plastics. Its not susceptible to moisture variation, and its material density causes it to vibrate at a higher frequency, but less than metal. Resin injected glass fiber is the "in between" material from very hard rock maple to Metal. The advantage of Resin injected Glass Fiber is that it can be customized as to its density and therefore provide a molded sound to imitate various wood types. Further it can be molded to eliminate the need for bold on shell hardware... Finally it can be constructed thinner than laminated wood and therefore would vastly reduce the weight of conventional drums..... Its my assumption that all drums will be fabricated of resin injected glass fiber in the future. The environmental nuts are going to shut down access to wood, just as the are doing in the guitar business. Drums materials will change and very soon, however those changes will be beneficial...
    So was that wood or metal?

User Info Menu

The loudest snare( as far as sound and rimshot crack ) that I hit with a drum stick was that DW concrete snare. That sucker is loud! lol.

User Info Menu

I've been a wood snare guy lately. Rosewood and purpleheart being my favorites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Can't do it brother. Sometimes this comes out:

Sometimes this:

Other times this:

Or maybe this:
    Hey man! Can you shoot me a message on that rosewood? Much appreciated!

User Info Menu

A big full on ringy metal one please.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Can't do it brother. Sometimes this comes out:

Sometimes this:

Other times this:

Or maybe this:
    In love with the rosewood!

User Info Menu

Love that rosewood. It's wood all the way for me. I've had brass and chrome in the past but always come back to wood snares.

User Info Menu

well considering I only have one snare and it's a 14x6.5 Black Beauty, so metal for me.
    Plus the snares I'd like to get are all metal too:
    Tama John Tempesta Snare
    Gretsch Phosphor Bronze
    Sonor Artist Series Bronze
    Tama Starphonic Copper
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash