Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood vs Metal snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wood vs Metal snare

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Me = opposite.
    All my snares are maple.
    However, a 7X13 Black Magic is due to arrive tonight.
    I imagine that you'll like it. I was going to pick one up a few years back when a local shop was blowing out their inventory before closing. I had played one and liked it, but the price was still a little more than I was willing to pay at the time. I misread when their last day was and showed up a day late.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I'm all about the metal...have a DW BNOB

but saying that my next snare will most likely be the 13X7 Tama SLP G Maple snare lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Metal snares cause I like the snap, crackle pop that I do not get from my maple snare.
    yup!!!!

User Info Menu

Anyone played the Tama SLP big black steel snare yet? 14 x 8

I have a superstar birch/basswood 14 x 5.5 that I love. (first snare/drums ever, so I've really no point of reference other than my ears and 30yrs listening to rock and metal)
    It has an Evans heavyweight batter and stock 3mil reso that's been cranked tight and evened-out. It was all out of tune and too loose when I got it used, and the strainer was pulled waaay over to one side unevenly.
    Once I spent some time tweaking everything and with a touch of dampening it's a loud somewhat dry sounding beast. Nice crack and pop with no ringing overtones.

What I'm wanting now is a metal snare to be my main.
    It might sound funny but what I'm wanting now is the sound of a snare that breeded (bread?) with a trash can . (no I'm not about to pay $800 for the Lars Ulrich sig )
    Wanting some ping and body to go along with the sharp crack sound.

Any suggestions for the right heads with the big black to maybe warm or darken the tone just a bit without losing it's core intended tone?
    Last edited by dave74; 12-26-2015 at 04:24 AM.

User Info Menu

I purchased the Tama Big Black Steel Drum 14x8 about two months ago. Considering the price, which is in the $250 dollar range, it's a good purchase. It sounds good, looks great, but a bit of Moon gel may be in order to bring it under control. Try before you buy!

User Info Menu

Scratch that....will be getting a Mapex Blade snare tomorrow....if its not in stock I'll be ordering it.

User Info Menu

Since I can only choose one, it's got to be the Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14"

User Info Menu

I can honestly say that I have not played a wood snare since high school..and cannot remember how it sounded..can't even tell you make and model since it was given to me to use only for short while...I play a metal one.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

wood for warmth metal for snap

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I haven't played a large variety of snares, but from my experience with birch, maple and metal, I think if I had to pick one, I'd go with my Ludwig Acrolite.
    Quoting myself, I still say metal, but since I got a new snare for Xmas, my new "Go-to" snare is my Pork Pie BOB. I LOVE BRASS!!! I love how I can control the amount of ring by playing dead center, or slightly off center.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    +1

This seems to be the one that I end up using the most myself ...

User Info Menu

Any of my Brady block snares. They have a nice warm wood tone with a metallic crack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    Quoting myself, I still say metal, but since I got a new snare for Xmas, my new "Go-to" snare is my Pork Pie BOB. I LOVE BRASS!!! I love how I can control the amount of ring by playing dead center, or slightly off center.

Best cure for ring on a metal snare..............................a popsicle stick.

SERIOUSLY

User Info Menu

This may seem like a stupid question Rick my friend. Where do you put the stick. Top or bottom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

Classic in its beauty. Timeless in its design.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    This may seem like a stupid question Rick my friend. Where do you put the stick. Top or bottom.

I take a popsicle stick and make it about 2" long. I then tape it to the top of the batter head about 3" from the rim between where my right and left hands fall.

I'll just mess with it as far as distance from the rim to whether it stays at 2" or 1 3/4" or 1 1/2". Once I have the sound I want, I take the head off and tape the stick in that same location under the head.

You can see it on a lot of my videos. In this 1 I'm using the Acrolite which had a little more ring to it, so the stick was about 2" long.

On my Black Beauty and Black Magic, the sticks are roughly the same distance from the rim, but are only 1 1/2" long. I hit my rimshots about 4" down from the tip. The closer you get to the rim, the more ring you will get and the more sticks you will break.

I've been using popsicle sticks for about 50 years.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 01-07-2016 at 05:57 PM. Reason: ==

User Info Menu

Thanks Rick appreciate your reply. Learned something today.

User Info Menu

That's easy. Metal.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

There probably is less of preference in the variation of these two materials and more the need for sound ... you left out Plastics of course which include acrylics and fiberglass.
    1) The advantages of metal (depending upon which is used) is that the material tends to move less related to moisture and temperature, therefore metal will stay in its relative position and the sound of the instrument will not vary widely. Metal is very dense and vibrates at a very high frequency when compared to far less dense materials such as Wood

2)Wood on the other hand is sustainable to both moisture and temperature and where it will not move as much as acrylic it will move around and vary pitch and sound. Wood tends to have a warmer and sometimes deeper tone than metal

3) Plastics Acrylics will move, because the material is susceptible to temperature variation, but is not susceptible to moisture... they provide a tone much like that of metal however their material density is less so they tend to vibrate at a slightly lower frequency

4) Perhaps the most stable material next to metal will be resin injected glass fiber, its temperature movement is more in line with metals (but less) It will move in extreme temperature variations but not as much as wood or plastics. Its not susceptible to moisture variation, and its material density causes it to vibrate at a higher frequency, but less than metal. Resin injected glass fiber is the "in between" material from very hard rock maple to Metal. The advantage of Resin injected Glass Fiber is that it can be customized as to its density and therefore provide a molded sound to imitate various wood types. Further it can be molded to eliminate the need for bold on shell hardware... Finally it can be constructed thinner than laminated wood and therefore would vastly reduce the weight of conventional drums..... Its my assumption that all drums will be fabricated of resin injected glass fiber in the future. The environmental nuts are going to shut down access to wood, just as the are doing in the guitar business. Drums materials will change and very soon, however those changes will be beneficial...

User Info Menu

Funny how the passage of time changes things. Since my previous reply three years ago, I've gone from the Black Beauty to a Classic Maple to a Ludalloy Supra 400.

I just got invited to join a rock band so I guess I'll be going to a Supra 402 COB ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 03-15-2019 at 09:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Always wood for me. Just never cared for metal.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I haven't owned a wood snare since my 1st set of Kents. After that, it was Black Beauty Super Sensitives or Supraphonics.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

What's the situation?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    What's the situation?
    It looks like someone is writing his thesis on plastic or some metals are staying with their relatives.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS