Thread: Ludwig Black Magic Snare Drum

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Black Magic Snare Drum

I'd love to own a Black Beauty....................but :

I'm also interested in a 13" snare drum and Ludwig offers the Black Magic in a 7X13.
    The only 13 inch Black Beauty I know of is a 3 inch depth.

I can get a Gretsch 6X13 Phospher Bronze but I really don't want to spend $1,100 on it.

Anyone here that has information and/or opinion on the Black Magic please sound off..............compare to Black Beauty..............compare 13 & 14............any help is appreciated.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Black Magic Snare Drum

Hey Ricardo, not sure if this will help or not. I have the Black Magic 6.5 x 14 and absolutely love it. LOUD! It cuts through and pops like there is no tomorrow...

A little 'pingy' at first when I was used to wood snares, but I've learned that you never hear that part when mixed in with screaming guitars and vocalists. The 'ping' is also almost non-existent if you hit within a 3-4" diameter, in the center of the drum. As you move closer to the edge, you can hear it more.

OVerall, I highly and 'loudly' recommend it.

Tex

User Info Menu

my music store has both the 13x7 and 14x8 black magic... I really like them a lot.

But I won't lie I find the throw offs to be cheap.
    Hardware lugs are gorgeous, rims gorgeous, throw-off... same cheap throw off found on a kids kit we have in stock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    my music store has both the 13x7 and 14x8 black magic... I really like them a lot.

Hardware lugs are gorgeous, rims gorgeous, throw-off... same cheap throw off found on a kids kit we have in stock.
    Does your 7X13 look like this ?
    With the cast hoops and the tube lugs ?
    I wouldn't mind a putting good lightning throw on this...........suggestions ?
    Can I find the throw in black ?

Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Can't comment specifically on the Black Magic, but I recently bought the same size Supralite, and for the first time since I've been drumming I have a snare that sounds exactly the way I want. The sucker pops like crazy, but the deeper shell gives it a good, round sound that I find perfect for rock/pop/country. I'll bet the cast hoops (yummy!) will really make the Black Magic do some fancy tricks, too - albeit at a significant increase in price and (hopefully?) quality. Let us know once you snag one.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I recently bought the same size Supralite, and for the first time since I've been drumming I have a snare that sounds exactly the way I want.
    GDM:
    Thanks for the info...........based on your assessment, it would stand to reason that the 7X13 Black Magic should be just fine.
    Any problems with the throw on your Supra ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Does your 7X13 look like this ?
    With the cast hoops and the tube lugs ?
    I wouldn't mind a putting good lightning throw on this...........suggestions ?
    Can I find the throw in black ?

It most certainly does. Gorgeous snare drum for sure.
    I think I posted photos of them. Or maybe just on my instagram.

User Info Menu

Can't speak for the Black Beauty. Don't own one/can't afford it. But i DO have a 8x14 Black Magic, and it is SWEET! Great deep tone, absolutely sings!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I have the Joey Kramer version of the Black Magic and love it. Tex is spot on with his description. Definitely not a small venue snare choice though.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

GDM:
    Thanks for the info...........based on your assessment, it would stand to reason that the 7X13 Black Magic should be just fine.
    Any problems with the throw on your Supra ?
    When I first bought the drum, the throw off would not release completely. Even fully off, the snares were partially engaged. I worked the lever back and forth a couple dozen times and the problem went away and it's functioned smoothly and perfectly ever since. Probably the smoothest Ludwig throw off I've ever owned. I feel silly gushing over a $150 snare drum after having owned some of the best snares offered by the major lines, including Ludwig, but this Supralite has filled the desire I've had for all these years. For my tastes, it's a smoking snare drum!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

^yeah I'm just not a fan of the ludwig throw-offs. As I stated previously even the black magic just has a cheap throw-off and one of them here at the store also did not release fully. I'd have to change that out right away. But the drum itself is amazing no regrets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    When I first bought the drum, the throw off would not release completely. Even fully off, the snares were partially engaged. I worked the lever back and forth a couple dozen times and the problem went away and it's functioned smoothly and perfectly ever since. Probably the smoothest Ludwig throw off I've ever owned. I feel silly gushing over a $150 snare drum after having owned some of the best snares offered by the major lines, including Ludwig, but this Supralite has filled the desire I've had for all these years. For my tastes, it's a smoking snare drum!

GeeDeeEmm
    Thank-you. I continue to cry out in the wilderness......

Ludwig rules snare world!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have a Black Beauty Super Sensitive, a Black Magic, and a Acrolite.

The Black Beauty SS will always be my 1st choice, but the Black Magic is also a good snare drum. I've used it in maybe the last 7-8 videos I've put up.

User Info Menu

I don't own one but I've played one at L&M over here. Beautiful drums. The only thing that I would change is throw off. It just looks cheap. I would swap it with an RCK or a trick GS007.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

^yeah I'm just not a fan of the ludwig throw-offs. As I stated previously even the black magic just has a cheap throw-off and one of them here at the store also did not release fully. I'd have to change that out right away. But the drum itself is amazing no regrets.
    Hey Spaz...................

What would be the options for a good replacement throw ?
    I've looked at RCK in black nickel; I also found a black nickel mag throw from DW that looks good.
    I'd like to know what replacement throws are available in black -- also what throw would fit with the existing holes as drilled by Ludwig ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have to check on fitment but I'd look into one of these nice front throws...

I ABSOLUTELY love the DW Mag throws.. they are so smooth and simple and easy on easy off. But I know the holes wouldn't line up at all.

User Info Menu

I second the throw off being very cheap. I have the 6 1/2 x 14 stainless steel with triple flange. The adjusting screw will literally unscrew itself while playing it and it doesn't take long. Once found it laying on the floor at practice . Everything else about the drum is pretty good. Wish mine came with the die cast hoops.

There're two versions of the BM a black nickel over brass shell which is probably the preferred shell and the stainless steel shell. Both use the same throw off though
    Last edited by slinky; 11-23-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Thank-you. I continue to cry out in the wilderness......

Ludwig rules snare world!!

all the best...
    Oh, have no fear Kay-gee, your voice is heard and appreciated! Couldn't agree with you more!

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with Ludwig throws. Be careful not to equate simplicity with cheapness or low quality. Never had a p-85 fail even one time on a close to 40 year old supra. Mine is so easy to operate I can engage or disengage it with a flick of the tip of drum stick. I don't know what is on the BM but I would at least give it a try before changing it and drilling unnecessary holes.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'd love to own a Black Beauty....................but :

I'm also interested in a 13" snare drum and Ludwig offers the Black Magic in a 7X13.
    The only 13 inch Black Beauty I know of is a 3 inch depth.

I can get a Gretsch 6X13 Phospher Bronze but I really don't want to spend $1,100 on it.

Anyone here that has information and/or opinion on the Black Magic please sound off..............compare to Black Beauty..............compare 13 & 14............any help is appreciated.
    Ricardo,

I've owned both a BB and the BM.............both were 6.5 x 14 and Nickel over brass. The BM had the die-cast hoops.

Bottom line, the BM is an excellent snare at less than half the cost of a BB. I never had an issue with the BM throw off............reminds me of the pearl throw that is on their sensitone line.

If I had to have a good quality snare.............the BM would be on my short list.

FWIW, I never owned a 13"..............but pretty sure it would be great as well

User Info Menu

Just a note regarding the strainer issue for for the Black Magic. If the current one is the P-85 (which can be hit or miss in my experience), Ludwig also makes a P-86 Millennium front throw strainer that is very good. I replaced all the P-85s on my Ludwig snares, with the P-86 and have not had any problems. The advantage with this approach is that the hole alignment for both strainers is the same - so no need to drill any new holes.

User Info Menu

I guess maybe I'm an exception, but excepting the initial problems noted above on my Supralite, I've never, not once, had a serious issue with the Ludwig throwoffs I've owned. Besides the Supralite, I've had a couple of Supraphonics and several Acrolites, and none of the strainers ever failed. I can remember one of my Acrolite strainers used to loosen during performances, but that one was worn completely out by intense gigging and practicing. I will admit that I'm very conscientious about maintaining my gear to perfect standards, and maybe that's why I've rarely had any problems with any gear whatsoever. Am I missing something here?

GeeDeeEmm

Edit: Thinking back when I still worked in a music store, I remember numerous broken strainers on the cheaper Ludwig snares - Rockers, specifically - but they used a cheap strainer that was common to many other cheap brands. And most of them broke, too!
    Last edited by gdmoore28; 11-24-2015 at 01:05 PM.