Thread: DW acrylic drum skins and tuning.

User Info Menu

Default DW acrylic drum skins and tuning.

Hi, I've just bought a DW acrylic set with a full set of zildjian K custom hybrid cymbals to go with it. It looks sweet and the cymbals sound great.
    I'm useless when it comes to tuning and I haven't had much time yet to try giving them a good tune.
    Is it worth me upgrading the stock heads before spending some time tuning them? If so, does anybody have any suggestions for heads which would go well with the acrylic. I prefer a deep, fat sound on the toms. A guy in the music shop which I bought them suggested clear CS dot skins for the toms.
    Also, what about the resonant heads? Would it offer much difference changing them from stock?
    I had an Evans emad head on my old Pearl VMX 18" bass drum and it soubded sweet!
    I am thinking of trying the same head on the new acrylic set (which is a 22" bass drum).
    Thanks for your time.

Tim

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW acrylic drum skins and tuning.

DW puts great heads on from the factory. I would just keep those on and work on the tuning and rock them until they are dead.

If anything maybe swap the bassdrum to a GMAD or EMAD for some great punch.

User Info Menu

The stock DW batter heads are Remo emperor, and the resonant heads are ambassadors. Both amazing heads. They are my preferred choice. Best sounding toms on earth with that head combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

That DW combination would be equivalent to Emps/ambs or G2's/G1's in the Evans heads. Any 2ply /single ply works.

User Info Menu

Clear dots seam to be popular with acrylic drums . I had pinstripes on mine