Thread: Using triggers

User Info Menu

Default Using triggers

Hi,
    Just wondered what you think about drum triggers.
    I have never used them, because I didn't know what they were!
    But not really sure why people use them.
    If your drums are tuned and micked right, do you really need them?
    Are they more messing about and more to go wrong?
    Or am I missing out on something?
    I am just wondering.

Bridie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Using triggers

I never found the need for them cause I can tune and I don't play metal .. Also I have played some kits and the lag was just way to much .. If it's done well it can work great but don't expect a great dynamic level unless you spend up on a quality module .

User Info Menu

I don't really like this guy because he's arrogant and obnoxious but he is intelligent and knows his stuff. But yeah I watch a lot of his videos just trying to educate myself on the audio engineering side of things.

But yeah I feel it is important to know what the possibility's out there are. This videos a little funny.might help to explain some things.

Also I have a friend and he's all into this solo drum thing using a roland spd-sx,guitar processors with a vocoder and he'll trigger different samples as well.

But his latest project's pretty cool..He's started a one man tribute punk band called "The Ramone" and he's like playing all the instruments that he then records to film then has this projector broadcast him on two different screens playing the drums,Bass. while he's playing guitar and singing live. But yeah he's a talented guy.. Here's his youtube channel and he also has a blog about that stuff as well.

His blog page
    https://rockula.wordpress.com/tag/video-projection/
    Last edited by wired; 11-22-2015 at 07:05 AM.

User Info Menu

I use to trigger my kicks years ago when I was in a european style progressive metal band. This way at high speeds of double bass it was clean and not muffled. I also use to use a trigger pad for a big boom for some songs as sound effects.

User Info Menu

I think they are more useful when using a separate unit (IE not having triggers on existing acoustic drums). I used to have a hand-played thing with 8 pads, and I put all kinds of sounds on it for recreating percussion instruments I didn't own or have room for, and that worked well as it was surprisingly dynamic. So for stuff like that I think it's great, or maybe to add some additional tone to your drums by having a triggered and acoustic sound together (does that work?), but otherwise I haven't really found too many uses for them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I think they are more useful when using a separate unit (IE not having triggers on existing acoustic drums). I used to have a hand-played thing with 8 pads, and I put all kinds of sounds on it for recreating percussion instruments I didn't own or have room for, and that worked well as it was surprisingly dynamic. So for stuff like that I think it's great, or maybe to add some additional tone to your drums by having a triggered and acoustic sound together (does that work?), but otherwise I haven't really found too many uses for them.

Are you talking about adding like an Octopad?

Like the units they use in GC DrumOff competitions?
    Cause I would also like to add one of those to my current set. Fun sound clips and added percussion elements I don't want to load up on my kit.

User Info Menu

Thanks! Got to take it all in,but I know more now than I did

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Are you talking about adding like an Octopad?

Like the units they use in GC DrumOff competitions?
    Cause I would also like to add one of those to my current set. Fun sound clips and added percussion elements I don't want to load up on my kit.
    Yes, I think something like that would be a lot more useful and versatile. What I was using was only hand-playable (Akai MPX8) but it worked well for what I needed it for at the time.

User Info Menu

I used the Roland SPD-SX in my last band which was a synth-pop band and it was great. Used a lot of different pads on different songs, sampled loops that we had for intros and outros, stuff like that.
    I never actually purchased the triggers, but wanted to. You can plug the triggers right into the SPD-SX and sample the pads from the bass drum, tom, etc. Just adds more effects to your kit without having to play the actual pad. It's a cool set-up to have

User Info Menu

Here is how and why I use "triggers"

Rehearsing Rock music with acoustic drums is.....well, it's loud.

I started using an E kit so we could play music at my house without disturbing the neighborhood. It worked well as far as volume, and we could play until late at night. I could also put on headphones and play at any time.

The E kit presented some problems to me because of the tiny pads, so I did some research and found out how simple it is to install triggers and mesh heads on an acoustic kit.

The foam cone passes the vibration from the mesh head to the piezo, sending a small electrical impulse to a module which sends a "fake" drum sound of your choosing to your PA.

The trigger gets mounted using one of several different simple methods and the mesh head is installed. The mesh head is kind of like screen door material. Since it's porous, they are very quiet.

This is what I've ended up with. Pretty much silent play, easy to record with and full sized drums to hit.

User Info Menu

That's really cool..I have a cheap cb 700 kit I think I would like to do that to. But what drum module are you using and are you happy with the sounds? Any latiency issues,cross talk problems?

User Info Menu

I have a good Roland TD20.

No latency or cross talk issues and I am absolutely happy with the sounds, especially the 80's super reverb'd snare

The best feature is that we can play full on R&R, loud enough to sound good, with a great mix (vocals on top) in a small space.

The next best feature is that I can put the headphones into play at 2AM if I desire.

The third best is that I can record any time, with no mics and start/stop without leaving the throne.

User Info Menu

Youtube Roland drum triggers craig Blundell
    Conrad