Thread: New found respect for my own drumming..

User Info Menu

Default New found respect for my own drumming..

I get so frustrated at times as I feel I been playing for 10+ yrs and should be way ahead of where I actually am but sometimes ya need to just think about how far you've come and realize not everyone can do what you do.

Case in point, Had a little gathering at the house sat. night, and some friends asked me to show them some stuff on my kit. I played a little diddy ( no not about jack and diane : ), nothing spectacular and they loved it and 3 people including my wife who has never shown much of an interest wanted to try it.

I was hesitant as this is my New Yammie hybrids but jack Daniels said yeah go ahead and wow they were really bad. I mean not even getting a rebound and seemed to be poking at the drum head..LOL clenched fists and shoulders with seemingly no elbows or wrists in between.

I tried to show them how to hold the stick, one guy said ehh thats hogwash, I then tried to get them to play alt. strokes along with the metronome at 60 bpm and wow that was ridiculously bad, I even changed the battery in my metronome because I do notice the speed changes when the battery is close to dying but no that was not the issue.

My point is not making fun of them as I know I was probably that bad when I started but I realized..... WOW I have come a long long way. Sometimes ya need to look back at where you came from and appreciate it rather than always worried about trying to climb the next hill.

As a side note my wife wants to learn to play a healing drum and I am trying to teach her on an old floor tom but it has been so long I really do not know where to start, she wont take a lesson from a stranger and I really want her to enjoy it and get into but not sure where to start. I started with the grip but I cannot understand what is so hard about it and get a little frustrated but do not let it show, ehhh I am not the best instructor. So the search for a few good absolute beginner drum video's is on : )
    Last edited by MDK; 11-23-2015 at 03:19 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: New found respect for my own drumming..

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post

Sometimes ya need to look back at where you came from and appreciate it rather than always worried about trying to climb the next hill.
    Absolutely. We can sometimes get so focused on moving forward that we forget to stop and appreciate our accomplishments along the way. I had a great practice session the other day and actually found myself amazed that I was playing some of the things I was. I believe I reached another level and didn't even realize it.

User Info Menu

It sneaks up on you like that. I don't think that I was really all that serious about drumming until 7 years ago. I was way better at 35 than 30. However, I didn't really appreciate how much I had improved within that span at the time. I was always more focused on what I was struggling with at the time than taking time to appreciate how much better I had actually gotten. That said, I've still got a long way to go.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Absolutely. We can sometimes get so focused on moving forward that we forget to stop and appreciate our accomplishments along the way. I had a great practice session the other day and actually found myself amazed that I was playing some of the things I was. I believe I reached another level and didn't even realize it.

I was amazed myself Tom.

User Info Menu

It's like anything else that happens over time.....like your kids growing or your face in the mirror. You don't notice the gradual changes, until you actually see a direct comparison to the past.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've learned a few things over the years. No matter at which level you think your playing is, there will always be players better than you and players not as accomplished as you. You are always a bit better than you think you are. I know that's a pretty general statement, but, it holds true I think for most people. I just try to remember two things when I play. 1. Know my limitations. 2. Be the best that I can be and not worry about trying to be better than someone else.

User Info Menu

After being disabled and told chances are I'll never use my left arm again it really makes you think about all the things you've done and how you'll never do them again. Then after another 3 surgeries and slowing being able to use my arm again I have come to an understanding that I will never be able to do things as well as I use to but I am sure pushing to try! But it really makes you look back and say wow I can't believe I could do all of that. . .

User Info Menu

I know exactly what you're saying, MDK.

My stepdaughter and her friends are usually over at our house jamming. One of her friends just starting taking drum lessons a couple months ago and was struggling on a part of some song(I let him use my home kit). I googled up some drum tabs, figured them out and sat down and showed him how to play it. I kind of surprised myself.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    After being disabled and told chances are I'll never use my left arm again it really makes you think about all the things you've done and how you'll never do them again. Then after another 3 surgeries and slowing being able to use my arm again I have come to an understanding that I will never be able to do things as well as I use to but I am sure pushing to try! But it really makes you look back and say wow I can't believe I could do all of that. . .
    What happened to your arm?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I was amazed myself Tom.
    I think I'm amazed that you were amazed.

User Info Menu

Now that's amazing.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Tom,

I was amazed by the fact that you were amazed that I was amazed because you were amazed to the point that Mark found the whole thing amazing, which, of course, means I found it rather interesting.

Funny how things work out that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Tom,

I was amazed by the fact that you were amazed that I was amazed because you were amazed to the point that Mark found the whole thing amazing, which, of course, means I found it rather interesting.

Funny how things work out that way.
    It sure is. The word amazing in and of itself is quite amazing when you think about it. Just the fact that you would take the extra time to acknowledge how amazed you were because I was amazed is literally beyond words. Well not all words. The word 'amazing' comes to mind.

User Info Menu

I'm amazed that this is turning into another TP thread. HA!
    Stolen from EddieV: