Thread: New Tom configuration kind of crazy

User Info Menu

Default New Tom configuration kind of crazy

Every since I got my kit..I had it kind of set up like everybody else. the 10" and 12" inch toms were mounted on the bass drum and the 14" floor tom was off to the side mounted on this stand and I later added the little white 8" tom.

Well over time I tried this but I didn't really like the 8" or 10" tom for that matter and the 14" tom was hard to get it where I wanted it at and was kind of out the way. And I'm guess I'm just use to the old bigger hair metal toms. So what I did was I shifted everything to the left. and I moved the 12" tom to where the 10" tom was and then I took the 14" tom and mounted on the bass drum.. and the rack that held the floor tom now holds the 8"& 10".

I think I like this better now because it sounds much more beefier and brings the 12"& 14" tom more into play.At first I was worried that it was too big to fit on the bass drum mount with the weight of it but it's doing alright..kind of funny looking though. I then went and grabbed this old cb 700 16 floor tom that has legs on it to where the 14" tom use to be.. but yeah check it out and tell me what you think. Do you like it? Is this something that's commonly done? Or is it just a bonehead thing to do lol.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Tom configuration kind of crazy

Looks comfy everything is nicely in reach,it's all about you playing it, so not a bone headed move at all..BTW what kind of drums are those?

User Info Menu

They are pdp cx fusion maples..and the little 8" tom is a pdp concept..and the red floor tom is off a cb 700 kit that my crazy uncle years ago traded a vintage gretch jazz kit for because he like the wrap on cb kit..now that was dumb. We almost disowned him over that!

But yeah I really like the new setup quite a bit..Before I just wasn't getting it on with the 10" tom being my main boy.. just too timbale sounding.I just havn't seen anybody who plays these kits mount the 14" inch floor tom on the bass drum like this. It's usually mounted on a rack or stand off to the side..but it's small for a floor tom. I guess you could have it cut down if you wanted.But yeah this is more MANLY sounding..which is always good lol.. Also it's really hard to find a 16 inch floor tom for the pdp's and when you do they want an arm and a leg for it..just not a lot of them out there.
    Last edited by wired; 11-24-2015 at 10:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    They are pdp cx fusion maples..and the little 8" tom is a pdp concept..
    Also it's really hard to find a 16 inch floor tom for the pdp's and when you do they want an arm and a leg for it..just not a lot of them out there.
    I have this same kit! I have looked far and wide for either a 16" floor tom in this finish or an 8" tom. No luck.

User Info Menu

I have the same CX Maple kit in the same sizes (or did. I sold the 8" tom within months of buying the kit because I just found no use for it. Wish I'd kept it now.) In any case, I tried that same configuration for a while, but I just don't feel comfortable without my ride cymbal over the right side of my bass drum.

I ended up converting the 14" tom to a floor tom, added a cymbal arm to the bass drum, and ended up with the configuration below. Most of the time I delete the 10" tom and just use a single 12" up top.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Unless a full double bass kit I've never like 4 across.

I'd do 3 up and 2 down for myself. Cause that is what I do.
    I find 4 to be to wide and you're hi-hat is to far over and far 4th tom to far.

User Info Menu

Mr Moore.that is one sexy kit! I like how you incorporated the tom stands into also being cymbal stands as well..I think i would like to do the same.

On my configuration the 8 " tom is a bit hard to get to and hi hats are on the inside of it. but push comes to shove I'll get rid of the 8" tom and If I were to come across another bass drum I might go double bass as well.

I saw a guy a week ago selling an 8" and a 16" tom in blue wrap for these kits and he wanted like 300 dollars! I think I'm gonna pass...

User Info Menu

If you are comfortable playing with four across, go for it! I have tried, but I have trouble fitting the hi hat where I want it, and still position the 8" Tom in a comfortable location.

I have also seen people mount the 8 & 10 on a stand above the hi hat, to the left of the set, and used as accent drums. Then the 12 & 14 are centered on the bass drum.

There are no wrongs. If it works for you, do it!
    Zildjin all around (mostly K)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Mr Moore.that is one sexy kit! I like how you incorporated the tom stands into also being cymbal stands as well..I think i would like to do the same.

On my configuration the 8 " tom is a bit hard to get to and hi hats are on the inside of it. but push comes to shove I'll get rid of the 8" tom and If I were to come across another bass drum I might go double bass as well.

I saw a guy a week ago selling an 8" and a 16" tom in blue wrap for these kits and he wanted like 300 dollars! I think I'm gonna pass...
    Thank you so much! I appreciate the compliment.

Actually, all the cymbal stands are separate pieces. I have the 12" tom mounted on the bass drum, and the 10" tom mounted on a separate tom stand that I can simply pull out or add back to the kit as needed without any other modifications - nothing else has to be moved or altered in the transformation from one up to two up.

I would not pass on that 16" floor tom so fast. As you well know, finding a CX 16" tom is almost impossible, especially in the correct color. I would pressure him hard to part with the 16" tom alone, or at least come down to $200 for the pair. Talk to him with cash in hand and he might give in.

I'm currently watching for another matching bass drum for my kit. Why? Why not? Just for the heck of it. It's fun to play drums, and even more fun to play around with them!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Well you know it's fixen to be Christmas time and it ain't all about me lol.. My kids are grown but their still my babies. I think eventually I'm gonna set my kit up like you have yours and move the ride over the bass drum and 14"tom back on the floor. I don't like hanging floor toms I've found out..It's gotta have it's own legs. and I'll rewrap an off brand 16" floor tom before I pay out the wazoo for the cx tom. Just too many other things I need to pay for.

User Info Menu

That tom config. looks nice and comfortable to play, even with 4 toms up over the bass. Also i really love the colour.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Looks cool, makes me miss my big double bass kit.

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody. I'm gonna leave it like that for a while.But eventually I'm gonna change it like Mr Moore's kit. That just to cool.. Reminds me of Bonham's set up with one tom on top and the two floor toms.
    TamaStar I want to again wish you a happy birthday. I'm the local village idiot say pay me no mind. But that said there are many knowledgeable people here so don't be shy.Ask a bunch of questions and before long you'll be pretty sharp yourself! Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

User Info Menu

I play 4 up 2 down and it's very comfortable, my 8,10,12 are probably 1/4" apart,and my hihat is close enough to be very comfortable too