Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gretsch vs pearl

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch vs pearl

I've got a pearl export kit that I am wanting to upgrade, I am going to keep it but will be getting Gretsch cadalina maple or ash, are these two sets better than the export, as what I've herd it is but which is a better all around kit the Catalina maple or ash?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch vs pearl

The Cat Maples are definitely a big upgrade to the Export.

I imagine the ash would be of comparable quality to the cat maple, but I don't know anything about the tonal difference between ash & maple to say anything.

I have the cat maple and love it. pull the trigger. You'll be happy!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I would consider both to be a significant upgrade over the export, but especially the maple kit. The cat ash kit is very punchy and dry. I personally find the resonance to be somewhat lacking, but that could be due to the heads and tuning of the particular kit I had a go at.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I could get the ash for $300 cheaper than the maple, is it worth spending the $300 or would it just be a big enough upgrade to just do the ash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbean View Post
    I could get the ash for $300 cheaper than the maple, is it worth spending the $300 or would it just be a big enough upgrade to just do the ash.
    Let your ears decide. If possible, play both kits. If that's not possible, find a way to listen both kits. I think that the maple is a more versatile kit, but I can also see a niche where the ash kit work better than the maple kit. With the dry, attack biased sound, I could see the ash kit being very good for metal or punk.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

How much are you spending and are the Cats Brand new?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

yes they are new and i can get a surtain color ash kit for only 500! when other colors are 700-800 i dont know why? but the same configuratation for the maple are 800 or you can add two more toms for 200 more, when i got the export with hardware for 650

User Info Menu

Don't buy for the sake of saving $300, if you get the ash and don't like the sound you'll be kicking yourself, I've heard the same about the ash that it is dry as opposed to the great sound of maple,I would strongly encourage you to try both if you can

User Info Menu

I'm going to be the odd-man out on this. Having played both Catalinas and Exports on different occasions, I don't think there's much difference between them in terms of build quality or hardware. In fact, the Catalinas I've played (one Club kit and one Maple kit) were not built any better than Exports, but the Cat Maples did sound better....awesome in fact. Exports are really pretty good drums, just not exactly "choice" wood. Going to a Catalina Maple kit WOULD be a definite improvement in sound, but not really much of an upgrade in overall quality. I just don't want you to expect too much from any mid-line kit, regardless of the brand. If the sound is what you're really after, then the Cats would be great. If you're looking to upgrade both sound and build quality, spend the extra for Renowns, DW Performance, Tama Star Classics or something like that.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Cheap is what you want in a girlfriend ... not a drum set .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Don't buy for the sake of saving $300, if you get the ash and don't like the sound you'll be kicking yourself...... I would strongly encourage you to try both if you can
    Look at KayGee's thread about buying what you want the first time around. Don't settle now and kick yourself later. It's more frustrating & expensive that way.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

No contest.Gretsch all the way!

User Info Menu

I'm not an expert on these choices but am pretty sure Exports are lower in the Pearl hierarchy than the Cats are in the Gretsch line. So yes, that would be an upgrade.
    You would, of course, as stated, be best off playing and listening to them if possible.
    My vote would certainly be maple, though again... your ears are the judge.

User Info Menu

Maple everyday. The Export though is a great kit with rock solid hardware.

User Info Menu

This is going to depend a lot on what sound you are looking for. There are some who may argue that the tonalities of maple vs ash are minimal. I think that you may be amazed how different these two shells are in sound. Get the best you can afford, but please..if you can, let your ears be your decider. Don't go by what we or someone else tells you.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Yeah for that money there are a lot more options as well. I would not limit my research to just Gretsch. I sent you a pm.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevaruka View Post
    maple everyday.
    + 1
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Subjective^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Yeah for that money there are a lot more options as well. I would not limit my research to just Gretsch. I sent you a pm.
    Mapex meridians can be had for 500. If you go used and are patient, you can get a used pro kit for 5-800.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Mapex meridians can be had for 500. If you go used and are patient, you can get a used pro kit for 5-800.
    Actually they can be had brand new for $600 if you know where to look
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I played Cats for a while. Loved them and their sound. You won't second-guess yourself if you go with the Gretsch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    Subjective
    Wasn't the OP's question maple or ash ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Wasn't the OP's question maple or ash ?
    True.. I think someone mentioned Maple as better and I replied subjective

Play them both and let your ears decide. I prefer walnut and birch over both afore mentioned tonewoods. subjective..
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 11-25-2015 at 05:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Maple for me as a rule of thumb. I've played a Catalina ash and it was definitely nice. Perhaps more "unique" but I still love maple. I like a lot of different woods though. They all offer something different. Make no mistake, good hand crafted drums, whether mahogany, maple, birch, oak, ash, walnut etc. sound better than cheaper drums in any of the same woods. C&C is making a luan drumset that sounds simply amazing. So at a certain point construction is what is important. That said I still like a maple C&C over a luan C&C.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Maple is far more recognizable and "typical" as it has been the staple ingredient in quality drums since almost forever.

all the best...