Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why not buy the best?

User Info Menu

Default why not buy the best?

Just wondering here. After reading these forums for years, there's something about drummers that puzzles me. In choosing a musical instrument, why would you want anything but the very best you can get?

To me, music is a life time commitment. Once you have made the concious decision that you are going to be a drummer for life, not just as a passing fad, why not just pay the $$ at the front end and get exactly what you want. Think of marriage. You chose a quality spouse because you know going in that it is for life right? You don't say..." I really like the qualities of such and such person, but I'll settle for so and so instead."

Secondly...in the grand scheme of pastimes and hobbies and passions, music isn't really all that expensive. It's not like you really really want to own a Ferrari but you'll settle for the Camaro or Mustang. The most expensive drum set you could dream up would probably cost less than a decent used car. I live in the Bahamas and Holy Moly...you should the money that goes into boats!!

So bottom line...Why are you playing PCP's when in your heart of hearts you want the DW's? or really wanting the Gretsch sound and playing the Asian made versions of the real thing? Why not buy the best and really play it, work it, and bond with it and let it be a part of your unique sound and voice?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Default Re: why not buy the best?

Because I don't want to get scratches and dents on the expensive stuff.

User Info Menu

That's right Kay-Gee. I buy the best. As a pro drummer, I've always wanted my sound to be the best. Plus, as you noted, why wouldn't you when it doesn't cost that much more and you play them for such a long time.

User Info Menu

My problem is drums isn't my main instrument and I have other things I would want to buy. Like I have a jcm 900 halfstack that is a tube amp and fender twin reverbs that are all tube amps and I bought them because solid state amps while they have improved they can't touch that tube amp tone. On top of that I'm trying to build a studio and you have to get decent monitors, Best mics you can afford, A computer that's hoss enough to handle a bunch of tracks going at the same time. Compressors ect..

You weigh all these and when you see that you can get close to DW quality sound wise and it just makes a ton of sense to go with the PDPs. their good drums. and unless your loaded it's just hard for a poor guy who has a family to boot to afford this,this,this,that,that,that! You have to make prudent choices ya know.

User Info Menu

My definition of a best kit is one that sounds good and looks good. I have a mid level yamaha kit which I paid $700 for 5 pcs and hardware which I would put up against most higher end kits. I always check out the drum kits when listening to a band playing with better kits than mine, I just don't here the better sound quality, they look better than my kit. I can tell the drums sound good, first I think they sound good, but I may be bias, but when audience or other drummer say the drums sound good and other drummers come to check out my kit. It's the drums. I am not a pro drummer, so I don't need the fancy kits. To answer your question, it's not about spending a lot of money on equipment, it's all about getting behind a kit and playing. It all about playing. There are drummers that can make any kit they play, sound like a million dollar kit. It's about playing.

User Info Menu

I say if you can afford it, then yeah, why not. Is it a necessity? Probably not...
    For me personally, while I don't play professionally, I have been playing for most of my life.
    I know what works and what doesn't. Even if I could afford to buy better than what I currently own, I don't think I would. Better shells are not going to make me any better as a drummer. I have learned to tune drums optimally and I also have a discerning enough ear to know what shell works for what I need. Would it be cool to own a top tier shell pack? Sure! Would I be unhappy if I didn't? Not a chance.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Sometimes you have to go with what you can afford NOW. I agree that going with the best from the outset works out less expensive and is more desirable - but, I'm a hobby drummer, and with hobbies there is always the possibility, that interest will wane within a few months.

After 2 and a half years it looks like drumming won't be a short term thing for me and If I'd opted for the 'buy the best' option from the outset, by now I'd have a great set of drums - and no cymbals or hardware..... Waiting until I could afford to buy all pro level gear, would mean I wasted no money on stuff that I will sell and take a hit on financially - but I'd have had to wait a few years till I scraped the money together...

Taking out a loan for a hobby isn't an option for me. I upgrade items individually as I can afford them - definitely a slower and more expensive route, but, except for sticks and heads, I buy used which means someone else has taken the brunt of the depreciation.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 11-24-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Typo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    So bottom line...Why are you playing PCP's when in your heart of hearts you want the DW's?
    PCP ain't that "Angel dust?" if you buy pcp you will probably be too high to play anything. Alright I'll quit being smarta$$ just playing now.
    Oh yeah I had a friend that use to have this beat up Camaro and that thing use to eat Corvettes that cost twice as much!

User Info Menu

I am playing the best.

User Info Menu

Just wondering here. After reading these forums for years, there's something about drummers that puzzles me. In choosing a musical instrument, why would you want anything but the very best you can get?

To me, music is a life time commitment. Once you have made the concious decision that you are going to be a drummer for life, not just as a passing fad, why not just pay the $$ at the front end and get exactly what you want. Think of marriage. You chose a quality spouse because you know going in that it is for life right? You don't say..." I really like the qualities of such and such person, but I'll settle for so and so instead."

Secondly...in the grand scheme of pastimes and hobbies and passions, music isn't really all that expensive. It's not like you really really want to own a Ferrari but you'll settle for the Camaro or Mustang. The most expensive drum set you could dream up would probably cost less than a decent used car. I live in the Bahamas and Holy Moly...you should the money that goes into boats!!

So bottom line...Why are you playing PCP's when in your heart of hearts you want the DW's? or really wanting the Gretsch sound and playing the Asian made versions of the real thing? Why not buy the best and really play it, work it, and bond with it and let it be a part of your unique sound and voice?

all the best...
    Don't you think everyone gets the "best they can get"? Isn't it really just that some can afford more, or choose to spend more on drums over other things?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

As a pro working drummer who pays his bills and eats from playing the drums I do have the best drum kit , the one I always wanted . However I also have other kits that some people would not consider the best and I use those on the gigs as well . As it's been said before ... it's not the kit but who's behind the kit . A great drummer will make ANY kit sound good . Opinion also comes into play . Some people think DW are the best drums in the world but I'm not one of them . I play a top of the line Yamaha Custom Birch Absolute in piano black but at the moment I've been playing the Pearl Vision Birch kit because even tho it's not one of Pearl's " pricier " kits it sounds great and frankly gives the Yamahas a run for their money ! So sometimes more money does not equate to better sound .
    However... when I was younger and working my way in mid level bands and carving my way through this crazy carrier there was a point when I HAD TO have the top line stuff ...had to or no one would hire me . Visuals have always been important but at that time MTV had just come out and the visual thing had become even more important . I was making good money and buying a new kit every year was part of the journey . The motto back then was " Cheap is what you want in a girlfriend ... not in a drumset ! " .
    Those who really want a big expensive kit ... own one . Those who really don't care...just don't care . That's just fine with me . Play what you can....but just play !!
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I think my main point is that... why not just get what you really want at the front end regardless of the brand name. You can fall in love with an instrument the same way as you can a woman.
    I see these drummers with long lists of the sets they've owned and still they're talking about their dream set as if it's some far off unatainable goal. They've actually spent way more than the dream set would have cost.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I think my main point is that... why not just get what you really want at the front end regardless of the brand name. You can fall in love with an instrument the same way as you can a woman.
    I see these drummers with long lists of the sets they've owned and still they're talking about their dream set as if it's some far off unatainable goal. They've actually spent way more than the dream set would have cost.

all the best...
    Maybe people's tastes change over time?

Spending a small fortune on a 'Ringo kit' (if that's your thing) is just fine, but if you later decide that you are more interested in playing metal - that 'dream kit' becomes as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

User Info Menu

I think my main point is that... why not just get what you really want at the front end regardless of the brand name..... I see these drummers with long lists of the sets they've owned and still they're talking about their dream set as if it's some far off unatainable goal. They've actually spent way more than the dream set would have cost.

all the best...
    Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Maybe people's tastes change over time?

Spending a small fortune on a 'Ringo kit' (if that's your thing) is just fine, but if you later decide that you are more interested in playing metal - that 'dream kit' becomes as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
    Very true. I agree Kaygee, that buy it once buy it for life is a great way to go... If you can. My tastes changed. I sold one set for an Asian Gretsch because:

A. I wanted a maple shell drum set with a stain finish. (Not a wrap)
    B. I couldn't justify a higher cost as a dad & a non-working pro drummer

I would love a high-end zoot U.S. Custom Gretsch or DW collectors series with a virgin kick. At this time I can't. But my kit is close enough to get me through for now.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Hmm. Well, I already committed to just one woman, so I may as well indulge in as many different drums as I can. It's the thrill of the hunt. Even before you find "the one", you have to play the field to find what you like and be able to appreciate the quality when you find it. Honestly though, I have so many structured, long term commitments in my life (wife, kids, house, job, etc.), I enjoy being drum emancipated! I love showing up to gigs with a different drum kit each time. It's like going out on a date with a different girl.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

You know if I were married one of my drum kits would be a dinning room set.lol

User Info Menu

Because I'm poor
    Last edited by xweasel; 11-25-2015 at 01:07 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I usually get my equipment at the best price!
    The best price is FREE!

Today I scored a made in Taiwan metal snare, a throne and snare stand all for $20
    There were a couple bad swival nuts and the throw will need replacing.

Besides, most famous drummers didn't get famous on the best equipment.
    They usually have it afterwards.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-25-2015 at 02:28 AM.

User Info Menu

I think it depends on a few things. As already mentioned, sometimes it's about getting the best you can afford now. I got my drum module because it was the best in my price range at that time (it was actually 20% over budget, but significantly better). Over time, I upgraded.

I think with adrums, well we should consider a few things. If you're playing heavy music, does it really make sense to go super high end on everything if we have to think about budget? Absolutely not!! If you're playing jazz, do you really need K hats if budget is an issue? Also no (but high end ride defo).

Personally speaking, I would prioritize this way (again, if we have to consider budget):

1. Ride, hats and main crash buy what suits your music, don't go cheap here. There's nothing you can do to make bad sounding cymbals sound good.

2. Better low end/medium drums. Proper heads, tuning and soundman can make any set sound decent.

3. BD pedal is something I wouldn't be too stingy on, so if not immediately, certainly the first hardware upgrade should be here (going from low to medium...I simply don't know if there is that big a difference between a dw5000 and 9000, my feelings say probably not). All other hardware, well I believe the lighter the better generally, but that's a different convo.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I did buy my dream kit. And then built it beyond my dreams.
    I fell in love with the top of the line Yamaha Maple Custom (not the absolute)
    Then I bought everything I could and built it up.
    I'll never take it out live anymore but I'll keep it for life.

Now I know you're not calling me out for my PDP kit.... because I am a huge DW fan but my PDP came walking into my store from a customer who needed money bad and I literally paid $300 for the 7 piece kit and let me tell you it is super impressive. Plus with all the playing and traveling and wear and tear I'm not going to do that to a super high end kit unless I was sponsored and this was my full time gig. But I just play on the weekends.

But in the end I can say I did go all out and bought the best of the best at the time 10 years ago when I bought my Yamaha Maple Custom. At that time I was also going to school for Percussion Performance and knew it was an investment that would last a lifetime.

User Info Menu

I have always believed that if you have the means and opportunity, you never go wrong buying the best quality musical instrument you can. They last. They're dependable and if properly cared for, get better with age. But, and this is a big but, I have never believed in going into debt for quality sake. If I don't have the money, I don't buy it.

The thing is, life doesn't always provide you the means and opportunity - especially when you are young (relatively lower wages), raising a family (kids are expensive ), and then they grow up - and college comes along and you try to help out with that. I am 61 years old, and it was just two years ago that the means & opportunity were finally there for me to buy my dream kit (Ludwig Legacies). That awoke a sleeping giant and I went on a glorious spree - bought a C&C kit, several Ludwig snares, new cymbals etc. That magical run is over, however, as I will soon be retiring. So, while 'opportunity' will still be constantly knocking on my door, 'means' won't be.

But, back to the quality argument for a second, what I have now we easily see me out of this lifetime, because they are so well made and sound so wonderful. They will be my lifelong friends - ones that will age much better than I, and will eventually go to my son to carry on.

User Info Menu

People most likely buy the best that they can afford. Many times, when buying gigging kits, people buy something that they don't mind getting banged up a bit. Also, define best. May not be the same for everyone. Many think DW is the "best". I wouldn't buy another DW drum with someone else's money. Not that they're not great drums, they just don't bring the value (for me) as other drums do.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 11-25-2015 at 08:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Because I don't want to get scratches and dents on the expensive stuff.
    But that's all part of the journey. You aught to see my Martin acoustic. Looks like it's been run through a hay bailer! LOL

but just about every nick and scratch has a story behind it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    That's right Kay-Gee. I buy the best. As a pro drummer, I've always wanted my sound to be the best. Plus, as you noted, why wouldn't you when it doesn't cost that much more and you play them for such a long time.
    Thanks drummer!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    My problem is drums isn't my main instrument and I have other things I would want to buy. Like I have a jcm 900 halfstack that is a tube amp and fender twin reverbs that are all tube amps and I bought them because solid state amps while they have improved they can't touch that tube amp tone. On top of that I'm trying to build a studio and you have to get decent monitors, Best mics you can afford, A computer that's hoss enough to handle a bunch of tracks going at the same time. Compressors ect..

You weigh all these and when you see that you can get close to DW quality sound wise and it just makes a ton of sense to go with the PDPs. their good drums. and unless your loaded it's just hard for a poor guy who has a family to boot to afford this,this,this,that,that,that! You have to make prudent choices ya know.
    You know exactly what I'm talking about, because I know how dear twin reverbs and tube amps are cost wise. you own them though, because when you play, you want to hear "that" sound even though there's thousands of solid state stuff available at way less cost. They enhance your voice. I OTOH, play solid state amps because they aren't the priority to me that drums are and to my ear and ability I don't fully appreciate the difference.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 11-25-2015 at 09:30 AM.