Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: professional grade drum set

User Info Menu

Default professional grade drum set

In your opinion what is your favorite/best professional grade drum set, Tamma star classic, pearl master series, gretsch renown, DW performance, and obviously many more by each of these companies and much more companies. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: professional grade drum set

There isn't one.

It's all about what you preferences are.

Much like shoes, jeans and anything else that can be tailored to FIT.

Drums are much the same way. Especially high end kits....
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Is there one of the ones i posted that is noticeably not as good as the rest or noticeably better than the rest?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    There isn't one.

It's all about what you preferences are.

Much like shoes, jeans and anything else that can be tailored to FIT.

Drums are much the same way. Especially high end kits....
    /\ This. Matter of fact, you could get into quite the discussion around what actually defines a "pro" kit. These types of questions, while valid and useful to generate lots of thought, generally don't help you in terms of making a decision on what kit to buy. It's what you like.......period.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbean View Post
    Is there one of the ones i posted that is noticeably not as good as the rest or noticeably better than the rest?
    The quality has improved so much through the years that you really can't go wrong with any of them.

User Info Menu

definitely a super opinionated question and location too.

Also there are SOOO many new faces out there producing some wild stuff. Like SJC drums. I'm really liking some of their custom stuff.

One of my favorite companies from a long time ago was Nooble and Cooley. But I see no one with their kits. I had a chance to buy one years ago but couldn't afford it.

I'm also a big DW fan but I know a lot of here have super mixed reviews. Either love them or hate them. They're great or they're over priced and over rated yadi yadi yadi. All personal opinions and preferences.

User Info Menu

I am in the market for a new one soon and just wanted to see if there was one over the top that I should get or one that sucks that I shouldn't get. Im leaning towards gretsch renown or DW performance.

User Info Menu

Difficult to give valuable advice based on the information that you've provided. Plus, you're confusing things. In one thread you say you're going to get a Catalina kit. In this thread.......you say Renown or a DW Performance. You're all over the place.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 11-25-2015 at 10:38 AM.

User Info Menu

yes i understand, after reading some of guys thoughts and some other forums, Im just going to forget the mid grade and go to a better nicer kit

User Info Menu

Buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini doesn't make you a better driver.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

yes but if i buy a midgrade drum set now then in a year or so I am going to get a better one, waste of money

User Info Menu

I've frequently wondered the same thing (except I include Mapex Saturns in my 'which is the best' list)

I currently believe the best one is the model in the prettiest colour. My opinion may have changed by the end of the week.

If you are going to make such an important and expensive purchase I would wait a while, have a good look around to see what is available and try to make a decision based on your own preferences. There is no harm asking other people's opinions but tastes differ - what sounds good to one drummer may not do it for you.

User Info Menu

Setting the context, you asked about PROFESSIONAL GRADE.
    Many, many drum-makers provide some excellent shells...........I really do like all of them...........and why not ?

I realize I may be in a small group here but, I would first look to buy American-made.

That quickly limits my choices.............I very much appreciate the QC of DW but I think the big lugs on the Collectors are not their best............I would also likely ignore the boutique provisions..............so I would have to choose between making a custom order for Gretsch USA or Ludwig Legacy/Custom Maple.

I love all three of those lines and would be very proud to play/own all of them.

Once I owned one of those preferred lines, I would be comfortable to add anything else to have options.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 11-25-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I concur with Ricardo as I too prefer to go American made having played Ludwig drums exclusively for the past 35 years. IMO, the Gretsch and Ludwig heritages are unparalleled in the industry today and for me that is extremely important. Every time that I sit down to play I feel like am standing on the shoulders of giants ...

User Info Menu

Ludwig Legacy Maple.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 11-25-2015 at 03:59 PM.

User Info Menu

OK. I'll jump. Get the DW Performers set in your listing. Great stuff, and good resale value.

Personally, considering only those in your list, I'd go with the Tama Starclassic because of the plethora of available finishes (especially the White Marine Pearl), cast hoops, and tremendous hardware fixtures.

So, there you go. Go get that DW kit TODAY!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    IMO, the Gretsch and Ludwig heritages are unparalleled in the industry today and for me that is extremely important. Every time that I sit down to play I feel like am standing on the shoulders of giants ...
    Well said, DM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Here's the bottom line...American made shells, Ludwig metal snare and Zildjian cymbals, and I promise you, play any venue in the world, with any group of instruments and musicians, playing any genre, and you are going to sound VERY GOOD to FABULOUS. No if's, buts, or ands!! The only factor would be your ability to tune drums, good head choices and of course sound people (if this applies)

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 11-25-2015 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini doesn't make you a better driver.
    ^^^^100% true.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

I believe Mike Portnoy said it best....when you get into that levelof set theyre all quality. Its just a matter of preference.

User Info Menu

All the legit brands have some great stuff at the upper end. I play a Saturn kit, and have been nothing but happy with it. That said, I've played some really nice collectors kits. They sounded great, but not necessarily better than the Saturns. It really is a matter of personal preference. Let your ears decide.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    All the legit brands have some great stuff at the upper end. I play a Saturn kit, and have been nothing but happy with it. That said, I've played some really nice collectors kits. They sounded great, but not necessarily better than the Saturns. It really is a matter of personal preference. Let your ears decide.
    Even some of the mid level stuff is more than worthy these days.
    I too own Saturn (lV) drums and Ludwig Elements.. Each has its own sound.
    It's hard to say what would be best for you. You need to try and get out there and play one different kits and see what has your voice.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

love my yamaha recording custom and mapex orion

both now discontinued but are rare gems

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I concur with Ricardo as I too prefer to go American made having played Ludwig drums exclusively for the past 35 years. IMO, the Gretsch and Ludwig heritages are unparalleled in the industry today and for me that is extremely important. Every time that I sit down to play I feel like am standing on the shoulders of giants ...
    awesome analogy. Always been my belief, but never knew just exactly how to word it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

If the drum fairy came to me and said "Joe, you can have one kit, any kit you want, I'll pay for it, what kit would you like?"

I'd take a Sonor SQ2 kit.