Thread: Looking to try some new heads...I need some input

User Info Menu

Default Looking to try some new heads...I need some input

I've currently got a set of Tama swingstars I got new in 1999. Here within the next few days I'm going to order a 6 piece Tama superstar classic kit.

The tuning was limited on the swingstars. If I put pinstripes or EC2s on them they'd be a lot more dead, and have little to no tone, especially the 10" tom. I know this is by design, but I got even less than what you'd get out of a higher quality set of shells. I've found that I've gotten the best sound out of them with coated Evans G1s.

Now that I'm getting a new kit I'm wanting to try something a little different. Not necessarily something as dead as pinstripes, but not as open as the G1s.

I'm thinking possibly clear Emperors, with Ambassadors on the bottom. I'm looking to get a warmer sound than before and be able to avoid using moongels or rings.

Also, I'm still concerned about the 10" drum, is there any chance of getting any resonance on a drum that small with a 2-ply head and not have to tune it really high?

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking to try some new heads...I need some input

I brought some Frosted EC2's by mistake, i thought they we're normal EC2's, they sound fantastic, nice warm tone, that's on a Maple Pearl masters 13x9 & 16x16.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Based on your description, I would recommend the time honored combination of a coated single ply head (coated G1 or coated Ambassador) on the small toms (8 thru 12) and coated two plys (coated G2 or coated Emperor) on the larger toms. Single ply clear or coateds on the resonants, of course. This combo will at least give you a good idea of what is possible with the new Tamas (congrats!), and you can experiment from there.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Clear Vintage Emperors (lil thicker than reg. emperors) over clear Ambassadors
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

You might wanna check out Aquarians. I have had great luck with the classic clears and Response 2. Their Hienergy snare batters are outstanding! I am about to check out ATTACK heads. They are cheap enough that if they turn out to not be what I'm looking for, it wont be a huge investment
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Running Aquarian Super 2 (clear) as batters, and Classic Clear as resonant. I get a great sound out of my Catalina Maples. I have one snare with an Aquarian Triple Threat on it and it sounds good. All other snares have Evans ST dry.

User Info Menu

"Also, I'm still concerned about the 10" drum, is there any chance of getting any resonance on a drum that small with a 2-ply head and not have to tune it really high?"

Small? 6" is small, 10" is normal. Get a single ply coated head if 2 ply isn't to your liking.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I've got Aquarian Super 2's on my 10 and 12 with performance 2's on the 14 and 16. Resos are 1 ply clears. The 10 sings pretty good. The super 2's aren't as heavy as some 2 ply heads. Mine are clear. I'd like to try coated next time.

User Info Menu

UPDATE: Ordered the new drums, and went with clear emperors on the top, and clear ambassadors on the bottom, w/ a powerstroke 3 on the bass drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slimdelight View Post
    UPDATE: Ordered the new drums, and went with clear emperors on the top, and clear ambassadors on the bottom, w/ a powerstroke 3 on the bass drum.
    Solid choice
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slimdelight View Post
    Can't go wrong there!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Agree can't go wrong with a 2ply/one ply. I also use the PS3 head on my bass drum and love it.