Thread: Rush R40

User Info Menu

Default Rush R40

Well the band I grew up with, the drummer that taught me more than any other just released what may be their last live album. I picked up the Bluray DVD.

First the show as a whole is good, the band as always plays great. The audio mix on the other hand is horrible. Muddy, no punch, the drums are for the most part buried in the mix. VERY disappointing to say the least. After sitting through the entire show, I'll never watch it again. How does this happen?
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 03-21-2016 at 08:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rush R40

That's surprising. My daughter took me to R40 for Father's Day. It sounded great. I'm really surprised that the album/video would have such a bad mix as you said.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Well the band I grew up with, the drummer that taught me more than any other just released what may be their last live album. I picked up the Bluray DVD.

First the show as a whole is good, the band as always plays great. The audio mix on the other hand is horrible. Muddy, no punch, the drums are for the most part buried in the mix. VERY disappointing to say the least. After sitting through the entire show, I'll never watch it again. How does this happen?
    Sounds like the first two times I went to a Rush concert. I always figured it was the hockey rink itself with it's horrible acoustics but I'm not so sure. Johnny Cash or someone like that would play there and sound great.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I am surprised that their new album has such poor sound. I mean these guys have been around 40 years and have lots of money so to me no excuse for this new album to not be their best sounding and probably their last. I have not heard it yet and hope that I will not be disappointed with it.

User Info Menu

My guess is RUSH has done it all pretty much. 40 years in the business and a still somehow growing fan base. What do they have to prove?

I am probably dead wrong with this analysis..just throwin it out there.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Go to you tube and watch/listen to the posted videos from the DVD. You will see and hear. Drums are way to far back in the mix. You can hear the snare but the rest of the kit should be much louder in the mix. It's really a shame because set two is amazing.... Set two does seem to be a bit better then one but still drums are buried.

https://youtu.be/PaSQHNg9UtE
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 11-27-2015 at 06:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    My guess is RUSH has done it all pretty much. 40 years in the business and a still somehow growing fan base. What do they have to prove?

I am probably dead wrong with this analysis..just throwin it out there.
    What's your point? They don't have anything to prove, however a properly mixed DVD/3CD set would be nice.

User Info Menu

A used record shop near me, used to sell radio promo CD's for $1 each. I bought one for Rush In Rio ... three songs excerpted from the CD/DVD package that was on the market at the time. It sounded awful ... pretty much the same as you describe this newest release.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    A used record shop near me, used to sell radio promo CD's for $1 each. I bought one for Rush In Rio ... three songs excerpted from the CD/DVD package that was on the market at the time. It sounded awful ... pretty much the same as you describe this newest release.
    I have the video set from R30 and have enjoyed watching many times.
    Sounds good.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

What's your point? They don't have anything to prove, however a properly mixed DVD/3CD set would be nice.
    I guess it was a cheeky statement. Just meant that their diehards would buy it if it was recorded on a portable RadioShack cassette
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Actually the link you've posted sounds and looks darn good compared to other vids on the tube. Thanks for the link NPYYZ!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Actually the link you've posted sounds and looks darn good compared to other vids on the tube. Thanks for the link NPYYZ!
    Yeah it's sounds fantastic if you don't care about hearing the drums. Obviously you CAN hear the drums but for the most part they are too far back in the mix. Here is an example of another DVD I have. Notice how the drums are right up front with the rest of the band, as they should be.
    https://youtu.be/K9_tFbFWzqc

Or this one that came out a month before the Rush DVD, Fan funded and the mix is way better.
    https://youtu.be/B_SbQjrK1xo
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 12-05-2015 at 04:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    I guess it was a cheeky statement. Just meant that their diehards would buy it if it was recorded on a portable RadioShack cassette
    I'm one of those diehards, I just can't keep quite about it anymore. lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    Yep ... Rush in Rio sounds awful as well...it's too bad R40 sounds like it's the same..

User Info Menu

The mix and sound off the past couple of Rush albums has been disappointing in general.

The louder is better mastering has resulted in muddled sounding messes.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

So they can remaster it and make twice as much money.
    Seriously though it will probably be re done. Rush are great at that. Don't get me wrong though. I think they deserve every penny they make. I have loved this band since I heard the opening of 2112.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

One thing that can lead to disappointment for me is if I have high expectations before hearing something. Alternatively, if I go into it not expecting to be amazed - i'm almost always pleasantly surprised with what I find.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu