Thread: Which bass drum kick pad do you recommend?

User Info Menu

Default Which bass drum kick pad do you recommend?

What kick patch is good for the bass drum. I done some research on them and they all say is the best. What do you guys recommend?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which bass drum kick pad do you recommend?

I've been running the evans for a long time.

Just never buy the Danbar metal plate... oh my lord.

User Info Menu

Evans clear patch

User Info Menu

I have a single pedal Remo one in black right now and it's been working great. Aquarian makes theirs in different thicknesses. I think they have a medium and a thin.

Spaz seems to not like the Danmar metal plate ones but I used one for the last metal band I was in and I liked the sound of it.

PROS: It gives off a hint of a click (if you like that sound) but not too much and I used wood beaters. It seemed to give the kick more volume.

CONS: They may need occassional replacement. Over time the one I used eventually started tearing around the metal plate. That sucked for a number of reasons. Costs a little more
    Last edited by slinky; 11-30-2015 at 09:45 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

the metal one just killed my beaters and changed the feel because it doesn't have the same flex/bounce as hitting the head directly. I used them for awhile but struggled to like them. But this is why we have options... some like some don't... just gotta try everything for yourself cause you'll never know!

User Info Menu

Dr.Sholls moleskin patch. Adhesive backed, works best with felt beater, OK with wooden beaters, cheap, for sale everywhere, easily replaced.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Remo Falams hands down. Does not affect the sound and is absolutely indestructible.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Bare naked for me. I've tried different ones of those things but just don't like them.

all the best...

User Info Menu

The danmar pad falls off and it sounds like a disgusting wannabe trigger . I tried the big Remo Falam slam. With my beater, it just sounded like a tennis ball. The clear Evans ones don't affect the sound, but I ended up getting a new head so I left it the way it was. I think it's the best sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I recorded a demo last year using the "studio's" house kit. Loved the bass drum pad they were using!

If I had to go buy bass drum pads, it would be the Aquarian thin patch (pictured below), but lately, I've been using whatever free pad that's tossed in with a new bass drum head. Remo usually throws in a free Flam patch with their Powerstroke bass drum heads.

Last edited by late8; 12-29-2015 at 12:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Remo Falams hands down. Does not affect the sound and is absolutely indestructible.
    Yes...............the REMO patch made with Kevlar.
    I destroy all the others.
    And I'm using old standard felt Yamaha beaters.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)