Except for un-miked performances, I tend to like smaller crashes, especially in home practice. I like that immediate, fast response and quick decay that a smaller (14-16") crash offers. Especially thin and paper thin small crashes. So it was that a few months ago I was auditioning some cymbals in GC when I came across a Zildjian 16" K Dark Thin crash, and it's 18" brother. Last week I found a new one on ebay that I could afford, and ordered it up.

The day after ordering the cymbal, I realized that I'd ordered a Medium-thin instead of the Thin weight I really wanted. I decided to wait and see how it would sound, so that is the review here.

I will say that I was never overly impressed by the older style Dark K crashes, so I was surprised by the changes to the new "square label" Darks. The sound of these crashes is pretty easy to describe: take the accentuated high frequencies of the new "A" line, add a considerable number of accentuated mid-low frequency undertones, and you have the new Dark Ks.

I will say that the medium-thin version of this cymbal exhibits fewer of those delicious mid-low frequencies than the thin version that I auditioned in the store. However, this does open up the possibility of adding the thin version alongside the med-thin for a very pleasing, complimentary pair of smaller crashes.

I'm quite pleased with the 16" Med-Thin Dark Crash. It blends exceptionally well with my 16, 17, and 18" A Thin crashes. Once funds allow, I'll be looking to add the 16" THIN Dark Crash. I'll report on the result.

GeeDeeEmm