Thread: Review: 16" Zildjian K Dark Med Thin Crash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Review: 16" Zildjian K Dark Med Thin Crash

Except for un-miked performances, I tend to like smaller crashes, especially in home practice. I like that immediate, fast response and quick decay that a smaller (14-16") crash offers. Especially thin and paper thin small crashes. So it was that a few months ago I was auditioning some cymbals in GC when I came across a Zildjian 16" K Dark Thin crash, and it's 18" brother. Last week I found a new one on ebay that I could afford, and ordered it up.

The day after ordering the cymbal, I realized that I'd ordered a Medium-thin instead of the Thin weight I really wanted. I decided to wait and see how it would sound, so that is the review here.

I will say that I was never overly impressed by the older style Dark K crashes, so I was surprised by the changes to the new "square label" Darks. The sound of these crashes is pretty easy to describe: take the accentuated high frequencies of the new "A" line, add a considerable number of accentuated mid-low frequency undertones, and you have the new Dark Ks.

I will say that the medium-thin version of this cymbal exhibits fewer of those delicious mid-low frequencies than the thin version that I auditioned in the store. However, this does open up the possibility of adding the thin version alongside the med-thin for a very pleasing, complimentary pair of smaller crashes.

I'm quite pleased with the 16" Med-Thin Dark Crash. It blends exceptionally well with my 16, 17, and 18" A Thin crashes. Once funds allow, I'll be looking to add the 16" THIN Dark Crash. I'll report on the result.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Default Re: Review: 16" Zildjian K Dark Med Thin Crash

I have and love my 18" K dark thin. It works well with my Vintage 17" A.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I have and love my 18" K dark thin. It works well with my Vintage 17" A.
    +1

I currently have one paired up with an 18" A Custom crash which I plan on switching out for one of the newer 18" A Thin crashes in the near future.

Glad the cymbal worked out for you GeeDeeEmm ...

User Info Menu

Yep, seems pretty accurate. I have a 17" K Dark Med-thin for sale at the moment, and the description seems spot-on even though this one is older (I don't know much about Zildjians so not sure which version it is). There's a 16" K Custom Dark as well. What I find funny about these models is that they are called "Dark", when to me they are pretty bright. They are certainly nowhere near as dark as the cymbals I use.
    Glad the cymbal worked out for you though! I too have been switching to smaller crashes (just replaced an 18" with a 16" recently).

User Info Menu

We have a lot in common.........I love thin crash cymbals that get in & out quickly.
    I also own the exact same cymbal.........16" K Zildjian medium thin.

I use it often but it is thicker than every other crash I own.

I also have a 15" thin crash K Zildjian that is gorgeous.
    And nothing beats my 13" K hats.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Yep, seems pretty accurate. What I find funny about these models is that they are called "Dark", when to me they are pretty bright.
    My thoughts exactly. The presence of the lower undertones is the only reason I can see in calling these "dark." They speak with a very bright authority, and I love the undertones, but I'm seriously doubting that anybody in the audience will hear much difference between these and the new "A" line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    We have a lot in common.........I love thin crash cymbals that get in & out quickly.
    I also own the exact same cymbal.........16" K Zildjian medium thin.

I use it often but it is thicker than every other crash I own.

I also have a 15" thin crash K Zildjian that is gorgeous.
    And nothing beats my 13" K hats.
    Gotcha! I've owned 14" and 15" thin crashes in the past and just loved them. They're a perfect bridge between splashes and crashes, and just lovely for small acoustic groups.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Really got the heart set on an 18 dark crash and a 15 hat top. Figuring will really compliment my 22 light Constanople ride.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Really got the heart set on an 18 dark crash and a 15 hat top. Figuring will really compliment my 22 light Constanople ride.

all the best...
    I'd be buying the 18" too if I could find the kind of deal that I got on this one - $154 delivered - brand new! Unheard of.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I'd be buying the 18" too if I could find the kind of deal that I got on this one - $154 delivered - brand new! Unheard of.

GeeDeeEmm
    Cheapest I've seen for the 18 is $229 used

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post

GeeDeeEmm
    Wow! That is an absolute steal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Wow! That is an absolute steal.
    One of the on-line retailers (not allowed to say whom) had six of these at this price. Supposedly they were wall displays. Who cares?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

At that price...............SCORE.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)