Thread: Sticker residue on kick drum head

User Info Menu

Default Sticker residue on kick drum head

I had a sticker made for my kick drum reso head with my bands logo. The band is no longer together, so I removed the sticker. Unfortunately, it left a mess of sticker residue.

Has anyone ever removed sticker residue from a drum head without damaging the head? I'm wondering if Goo-Gone would work. Or rubbing alcohol. I figured I'd ask here before taking the chance.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sticker residue on kick drum head

I'm pretty sure I've used both Goo-Gone and rubbing alcohol without effect...I assume this is NOT a coated head? No warranty expressed nor implied!

User Info Menu

goo-gone works awesome. Use a nice cloth and keep rotating areas on the towel.

User Info Menu

Wd-40.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Wd-40.
    There ya go ! Works very well .

User Info Menu

New Head!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Salad oil works but then you need to use soap and water to clean that off or a Windex-type cleaner. WD-40 is easier.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

+3 for WD-40............works great

User Info Menu

I used WD-40 to remove a beater patch. Works amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    goo-gone works awesome. Use a nice cloth and keep rotating areas on the towel.
    I'll confirm the Goo-Gone. In fact, I use it on all my used drum heads to clean off the tape residue, dirt, stick marks, etc.. I even used it to help remove the old drum wrap from several shells. The key is to saturate and let it soak in to the sticker residue for several minutes. Allow it some time to work on it and soften the adhesive before you start wiping it off. Then, you can almost wipe it off with your fingers.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

There's a lot of things WD-40 can do. I use it all the time to remove sticky residue off of things.

If you Google around a bit, there are a lot of sites that list hundreds and hundreds of uses for it. WD-40 is amazing considering the product was a big mistake.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I don't know what kind of glue was on that sticker, but WD-40 didn't help at all. Goo gone worked, but the head looks like hell from the little bit of rubbing that was required. It came off pretty easy, just using my finger tip, but there are tiny scratch marks all over where I rubbed.

I think Kay-Gee nailed it. New head.

User Info Menu

Before:

After:

Lesson learned: Don't put stickers on the head unless you want them to be permanent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post

After:

Lesson learned: Don't put stickers on the head unless you want them to be permanent.
    Look on the bright side - your head may have been scratched, but you have a beautiful apparition of a motorcycle in the lower left hand corner!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Paint thinner. Put a little on a clean rag and it will clean it right off. Wear some rubber gloves because it will take forever to get the smell off your hands if you don't.

I've used this to remove duct tape residue from mic cables, drum heads, cymbal stands, you name it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Look on the bright side - your head may have been scratched, but you have a beautiful apparition of a motorcycle in the lower left hand corner!

GeeDeeEmm

I usually never use the factory head for any modifications. I'll most always buy a different head first. Even for a Kickport I will use an existing head or purchase something that I don't care about making mods to.

Thinking back, I mostly will use an Evans or Aquarian head that has already been ported if I need a ported head. All my factory heads are stacked up and pristine. Yes, anal comes to mind.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yep, looks like the scratching got the better of it. Maybe the oil effected it as well? Some plastics don't play well with petroleum products. You can try buffing it with MaGuires Plast-X. It may polish out.....or make it worse. You could also paint it with Krylon Fusion. Nothing to lose at this point, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I had a ring of glue residue around the hole in the reso head of my Premier kick. I removed the head and used a soft cloth and Ronsonol type lighter fuel - it softened the old glue and removed it in seconds. I washed it with dishwashing solution immediately afterwards as I wasn't sure if the lighter fluid would have any reaction to the head. It seemed fine afterwards - but it was a 5+ year old original reso so I had nothing to lose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post

GeeDeeEmm
    Sure would be cool if that image stayed there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

I usually never use the factory head for any modifications. I'll most always buy a different head first. Even for a Kickport I will use an existing head or purchase something that I don't care about making mods to.

Thinking back, I mostly will use an Evans or Aquarian head that has already been ported if I need a ported head. All my factory heads are stacked up and pristine. Yes, anal comes to mind.
    This isn't the factory head, it's an Aquarian Regulator, with a Tama sticker on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    This isn't the factory head, it's an Aquarian Regulator, with a Tama sticker on it.
    Very well done. I thought it was a factory head.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Paint thinner. Put a little on a clean rag and it will clean it right off. Wear some rubber gloves because it will take forever to get the smell off your hands if you don't.

I've used this to remove duct tape residue from mic cables, drum heads, cymbal stands, you name it.
    Which paint thinner?

Geedeeemm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I used WD-40 to remove a beater patch. Works amazing.
    This is perfect timing. I need to remove a beater patch. Was just discussing how to do this with a friend minutes ago on the phone. WD-40 is now on my shopping list. Thanks.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Just use the same bass drum head for your next band. Stick the new sticker over where the old one was.