Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Magic Arrival

User Info Menu

Default Black Magic Arrival

Edit.............to anyone that knows how to downsize these photos, please do so.................

The drum arrived on time yesterday afternoon. I was surprised when I opened the box :

This package was simply a drum in a plastic bag in a box...........with a generic drum key thrown in :

Here is a photo of the 7X13 BM...........the finish is perfect -- no flaws anywhere. The lugs and hoops are also beautiful. The throw is not the best, but really not bad at all...........I worked with it a while and it feels solid -- no wobble..........and it locks in just fine...........when released, it drops the snare wires completely as it should...............first impression is to leave it on the drum. I played with the tuning last night and will have time to completely check it out after work today.............I need to practice on my own for 2 hours so I should know much more afterwards :

Last edited by Ricardo; 12-03-2015 at 07:28 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Magic Arrival

Surprised it wasn't packed better. Luckily it got to it's destination unscathed. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

glad it made it there safely seeing that.

User Info Menu

Wow that's a beauty,congrats Ricardo

User Info Menu

Yippeee!

Can't wait to hear your impressions. I'll bet you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Congrats Ricardo........sure you'll love it

User Info Menu

Congrats Ricardo on your new snare.

User Info Menu

I think the pics are a little too big...lol
    Congrats!

User Info Menu

Very nice Ricardo
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Surprised it wasn't packed better. Luckily it got to it's destination unscathed. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    glad it made it there safely seeing that.
    I was shocked that it wasn't sitting in a bunch of foam or padded wrap.
    But nevertheless, it was shipped to me in perfect condition.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Wow that's a beauty,congrats Ricardo
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Congrats Ricardo........sure you'll love it
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Congrats Ricardo on your new snare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I think the pics are a little too big...lol
    Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    Very nice Ricardo
    Many thanks to all...............I am happy with my purchase.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Yippeee!

Can't wait to hear your impressions. I'll bet you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

GeeDeeEmm
    GDM.............I played for two hours last night............playing snare drills for a while and then playing along with some of the band's songs.

First impressions : this drum sounds fantastic at a medium-high batter tension. Not a bad sounding drum at low tension (not my favorite with any snare) and a decent playable sound at high tension.

At the preferred tension, it is extremely PHAT with good tone and volume........rim shots are remarkable.
    I liked the stock Ludwig batter (single ply) OK.............but it can't compete with the Super 2-ply Aquarian I put on it last night. I kept the stock snare-side head.
    I have played 14" snare drums my entire life and it is very different looking down at a 13...........but I do like the extra room and with the 7" depth, the drum does not lose anything. I can play this drum with moderate force and achieve good volume with no problem...........if I want, I can make it loud.
    In fact, I believe I will need to watch out to "keep it tame".............I am conditioned to traditional sized maple snares.

Bottom line = this is a good snare drum with a range of versatility.
    It arrived in absolutely perfect condition and it appears to be expertly crafted.
    I will get many years of good sound and fun from this Ludwig product.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Beauty of a snare drum! I find that die cast hoops on metal drums make for really nice sound. Not too wet by virtue of the heavy cast hoops, and not too dry by virtue of the metal shell. Sweet!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    Beauty of a snare drum! I find that die cast hoops on metal drums make for really nice sound. Not too wet by virtue of the heavy cast hoops, and not too dry by virtue of the metal shell. Sweet!
    I could not agree more..............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I had the exact same experience (minus the generic key--they included a nice heavyweight Tama one) with my Tama 14 x 6.5" Power Maple snare that was delivered on Wednesday.

I couldn't believe they just shipped it in a box with a plastic bag over it, no padding at all!!!!

Thankfully it was unharmed like yours. Beautiful drum man, congrats!

User Info Menu

A few of my Ludwig drums came shipped that way as well. Surprisingly, not a scratch nor blemish on them. It's magic ...

Congrats on your new snare ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-04-2015 at 11:04 PM.

User Info Menu

GDM.............I played for two hours last night............playing snare drills for a while and then playing along with some of the band's songs.

I have played 14" snare drums my entire life and it is very different looking down at a 13...........but I do like the extra room and with the 7" depth, the drum does not lose anything. I can play this drum with moderate force and achieve good volume with no problem...........if I want, I can make it loud.
    In fact, I believe I will need to watch out to "keep it tame".............I am conditioned to traditional sized maple snares.
    Wonderful. I knew you'd like it. Like you, I've used nothing but 14" snares since I started playing in the sixties, and dropping the 13" snare where the 14" had been was a startling experience. I had no idea that one less inch would create so much space between my legs and around my kit. But, it immediately felt more comfortable.

I'm just thrilled that you liked it.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Very nice drum.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I bet that thing is LOUD.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I've found that new Snares almost always come with minimal packaging. Doesn't make any sense. On the flip side, every used snare I've ever had shipped, be it from ebay or Gc or wherever, is SUPER well packed.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    A few of my Ludwig drums came shipped that way as well. Surprisingly, not a scratch nor blemish on them. It's magic ...Congrats on your new snare ...
    Quote Originally Posted by metallitroy View Post
    I've found that new Snares almost always come with minimal packaging. Doesn't make any sense. On the flip side, every used snare I've ever had shipped, be it from ebay or Gc or wherever, is SUPER well packed.
    Crazy.............I'm just glad it arrived in perfect shape.

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Very nice drum.
    Thanks.............I'm getting used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachAbbott View Post
    I bet that thing is LOUD.
    It can be if you really pop it.
    I have found that all you need is a moderately firm rim shot..............killer.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

we got a new 14x8 back in at our store and it has a much nicer throw off on it. Still basic and standard IMO but much nicer than the last Black Magic. I think I might pick it up now.

The thing that blows my mind is why would they have a different throw off on this one?
    Do they just use any throw-off lying around at the factory? lol j/k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    we got a new 14x8 back in at our store and it has a much nicer throw off on it. Still basic and standard IMO but much nicer than the last Black Magic. I think I might pick it up now.

The thing that blows my mind is why would they have a different throw off on this one?
    Do they just use any throw-off lying around at the factory? lol j/k
    The throw on my new LBM is solid............not the greatest, but not bad.
    It does the job.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Can anyone tell me what a p85 is as opposed to a p-86 or any other Ludwig throw? The one one my supra is NOT like the one pictured on this thread. I've always called it p-85. It always throws on and off easily and the tensioner has fine threading for micro tuning of snares. Just a great throw in every way.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Can anyone tell me what a p85 is as opposed to a p-86 or any other Ludwig throw?
    First photo is a P85; second photo is a P86.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian