Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Magic Arrival

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Magic Arrival

Thanks, Mine is like the first picture, except the face part where it says Ludwig is in black.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Thanks, Mine is like the first picture, except the face part where it says Ludwig is in black.

all the best...
    Just like my old Supra.................loved it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm sticking with the Aquarian Super 2 coated batter................it sounds terrific.
    These heads also have coating that lasts twice as long as others............don't know why............it just does.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I was shocked that it wasn't sitting in a bunch of foam or padded wrap.
    But nevertheless, it was shipped to me in perfect condition.
    Wow, if it would of been me, the UPS guy would of rolled over it before dropping it off at my door. Nice snare. I wasn't shocked at the packing from overseas. My Pork Pie kit from Taiwan was packed just like your snare. It was in a plastic bag, in a flimsy cardboard box:

On the other hand....

The used Pork Pie acrylic snare I bought from the Music-go-Around in Minnesota was packed like it could of been dropped at 30,000 feet

User Info Menu

I just ordered a 6.5-14 on ebay,i can't wait to hit it ..won't be here until February.289$ i think is a good price..i hope

User Info Menu

I put one on my ludwig coliseum snare and it's a great replacement! in response to kay-gee.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 01-24-2016 at 04:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zappahart View Post
    I just ordered a 6.5-14 on ebay,i can't wait to hit it ..won't be here until February.289$ i think is a good price..i hope
    My Ludwig Black Magic is better than I expected; and I expected it to be really good.
    And yes................you got a great price.............you will love the drum.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Thanks i can't wait till it gets here.coming from California to nj. Hasn't even shipped yet,getting nervous.

User Info Menu

Hey Ricardo - congrats on the Black Magic snare! I'm a big fan of Ludwig snares but I have never had a chance to hear the Black Magic. However, all the reviews I have read have pretty much unanimously praised it. Really nice to hear that you are happy with it.

It was shocking to see the lack of packing materials in the box, though. I have a Carl Palmer Signature Ludwig snare on its way. It will be interesting to see how it is packed. It is a China-made snare like your Black Magic. Not sure if that fact is related to the packaging, but any USA-made Ludwig snare I have ordered has been extremely well packaged.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    Hey Ricardo - congrats on the Black Magic snare! I'm a big fan of Ludwig snares but I have never had a chance to hear the Black Magic. However, all the reviews I have read have pretty much unanimously praised it. Really nice to hear that you are happy with it.

It was shocking to see the lack of packing materials in the box, though. I have a Carl Palmer Signature Ludwig snare on its way. It will be interesting to see how it is packed. It is a China-made snare like your Black Magic. Not sure if that fact is related to the packaging, but any USA-made Ludwig snare I have ordered has been extremely well packaged.
    I've always been a big fan of Ludwig products: ESPECIALLY their snare drums.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'm still wanting to pick up the one at my store... I hope it sells soon so that craving goes away hahaha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm still wanting to pick up the one at my store... I hope it sells soon so that craving goes away hahaha
    One more snare, Spaz, would bring your collection to a nice even number, instead of the somewhat awkward number 27 you are currently at. It's the best reason I could come up with - so I thought I better at least put it out there.

User Info Menu

^hahaha nice

User Info Menu

I just received my beautiful Black magic .I have tried a coated emperor,and a Black X .I still can't get my perfect sound.Tuned every which way.It sounds great but i want it to sound "greater" anyone got greater sound with anything other then remo or evans.I hit hard sometimes

User Info Menu

I just received my beautiful Black magic .I have tried a coated emperor,and a Black X .I still can't get my perfect sound.Tuned every which way.It sounds great but i want it to sound "greater" anyone got greater sound with anything other then remo or evans.I hit hard sometimes
    I'm currently running a Studio 2 coated Aquarian and the stock snare side.
    I have played mine with all types of tuning.............while none are horrible, my favorite is moderately tight.............not cranked to the max.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I just put a Aquarian super 2 on it ,so far it sounds better the the others.This is my first Aquarian ,may try more.Unfortunately i just did all 6toms with Emperors

User Info Menu

I got my Black Magic from a guy I met in the local music store. He told me that no matter what he tried, he couldn't get the sound he wanted.

He asked me if I was interested in buying it, which I wasn't being that I had never heard of a Black Magic, but I figured it couldn't hurt to go take a look.

Bottom line: He had the drum for 2 weeks (you can't get used to a brunette in 2 weeks. Blondes take 2-4 months depending if they are real blondes or bottle blondes). I asked him what he wanted for it, and he said "give me $100 and take it".

I looked at it as how wrong could I go, it's Ludwig and looked all around like a well made snare. So, not having a clue as to what they went for, I gave him $100 and took it home.

When I looked it up and saw that they went for about $350, I thought that either someone gave him that snare, or he stole it. Nobody sells a 2 week old $350 Ludwig snare, in mint condition, for $100.

User Info Menu

I just put a Aquarian super 2 on it ,so far it sounds better the the others.This is my first Aquarian ,may try more.Unfortunately i just did all 6toms with Emperors
    That head sounds great and the coating lasts twice as long as all other brands. I like clear Emps on the toms...........no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I got my Black Magic from a guy I met in the local music store. So, not having a clue as to what they went for, I gave him $100 and took it home. When I looked it up and saw that they went for about $350, I thought that either someone gave him that snare, or he stole it. Nobody sells a 2 week old $350 Ludwig snare, in mint condition, for $100.
    Yep..............for that price, I figure it had to be hot.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

"Yep..............for that price, I figure it had to be hot."

It was given to me in a flame retardant case, so I think you nailed it.

User Info Menu

Even with my employee discount I can't get the black magic for $100!!! That was a true "steal of a deal"
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 02-01-2016 at 07:39 AM.

User Info Menu

On the other hand....

The used Pork Pie acrylic snare I bought from the Music-go-Around in Minnesota was packed like it could of been dropped at 30,000 feet

[/QUOTE]

IN my experience, all used snares are incredibly well-packed (almost impenetrably so) and new snares are always, ALWAYS,ALWAYS in a bag in the box with NO padding whatsoever. always a bummer to get one like that, but I've never gotten one damaged either.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "Yep..............for that price, I figure it had to be hot."

It was given to me in a flame retardant case, so I think you nailed it.
    I got mine (8x14) for $250 shipped! $100 is an incredible deal!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads