Thread: About to lose it with hi hats

User Info Menu

Default About to lose it with hi hats

Ok ill try me best to describe the issue I am having with the TD20 VH12 hats.been dealing with this for a month now and have tried everything. New cables....calibrating the module etc. nothing :(
    They were working perfectly a month or so ago on my nice beefy pearl stand.
    I decided to move the pearl stand to my acoustic kit and use a crappy slim stand on my TD20 kit.

I took apart the cymbals and off the Pearl stand and realized that piece that goes on the bottom of the clutch assembly was fused onto the screw. (the thing on the left but I think a bit longer) -

SO i destroyed the threading on the old clutch and had to get a new Gibby one. Ever since then I just cant get a good sound from the hats on either the skinny crappy stand or back on the good pear stand.
    Here are some pics to show you my assembly and a short video to show you how it sounds when foot closed or hit.
    does something not look right to you?
    thanks!!

here is the stand where the bottom hat would sit on:

bottom hat applied without joining cable inside put on:

bottom of the top hat I believe with the new clutch and tightening screw:

and the sound when put together..I have the headphone put up to my cell mic for this.

And yes the little two antenna things underneath are not connected in this video to the bottom. But I tried that before and didnt make much difference
    TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: About to lose it with hi hats

Is it the open close action that isnt working well? I had an issue with this. I have a band room in my shed. It gets warm in there plus i use to have my hi hats only half open. When you read the manual it says to not store the hats in a closed position. Whats happens is it seems like the glue comes undone and the sensor doesnt sit right. Lucky for me i convinced roland to send me a new one under warranty and i installed it. I have the old module around somewhere. Ill put together some pics after work.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Re: About to lose it with hi hats

Found something that might help:

Quote:

"1. Does your hat send out MIDI CC's (usually CC4) in relation to the open/closed position of the hat?

If so, make sure your keymap includes at least the Variable Tip articulation. If not, select that articulation and map it to your hat note. Example: click and drag Variable Tip to note F#3 (if this is where your hat is mapped to). Now with the Variable Tip articulation selected, look towards the bottom right area of the Keymap page: there are "Response" and "Hihat" tabs, click Hihat. Set the MIDI CC to whatever CC your hihat/brain sends for hat position. Set the Auto Pedal Event and Auto Splash settings as you'd prefer, that's it. You should now be done with the tip articulation.

2. Does your hat have "zones" that would allow you to map out separate tip and shank areas? If so, repeat the steps above for the Shank articulation."

End of Quote~