Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gretsch Catalina Ash (preliminary pix)

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Catalina Ash (preliminary pix)

So, I couldn't resist. Online dealer had these for an amazing deal!

This kit will be awesome in the studio! Love the ash wood shells!!

More to come with my impressions.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Ash (preliminary pix)

Wow! Beautiful finish. Love the very pronounced wood grain of the Ash!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nice kit, I think the ash kits are some of the best looking kits.

User Info Menu

Man that's a gorgeous kit. Congrats!

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    Nice kit, I think the ash kits are some of the best looking kits.
    ++^ this!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Very nice. Have fun with it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments guys. I agree the finish on this kit is quite lovely.
    Even at this mid level price point Gretsch seems to be focusing on classic "G" features like 30degree edges, 5 lug rack toms and the round badges sporting vintage font. Attention to detail on this kit is very nice. Lots to discover and go "wow..cool". This is my first ever time playing or owning an ash wood drum set and I will say that it's sound is unique. There are factors like heads and edges that play into this to a degree, but these shells have their own unique tonal characteristics. I haven't logged a ton of playing time on it as of yet as it's still a work in progress. I think I will be opting to use this drum set in the studio come January and may see more time played than my other drums. I still have to get used to tuning the 5 lug toms.. Work in progress.

Last edited by wOOdshedd; 12-11-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added photos

User Info Menu

Congrats bud thats Very nice love the color. How is the rack tom mounts, one pic looks like the mount may hit the rim but probably just photo angle. Is there any rubber between the BD claws and the hoop? Really is a nice looking kit I have never heard ash in person. How much was it if you don't mind saying?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Congrats bud thats Very nice love the color. How is the rack tom mounts, one pic looks like the mount may hit the rim but probably just photo angle. Is there any rubber between the BD claws and the hoop? Really is a nice looking kit I have never heard ash in person. How much was it if you don't mind saying?
    Thanks MDK. The tom mounts seem sturdy enough and you are correct in stating camera angle is culprit for the optical. There are rubber insulating gaskets behind the die cast claws as well as lug casings on all drums.
    I found some videos showcasing these drums and one by Nick Di Virgilio of Spock"s Beard fame caught my ear. He was showing the kit for an online retailer that happened to have them on sale for $200 off regular price. I paid $500 shipped! Really liking these drums!

User Info Menu

yeah that wood is gorgeous. Love the grain. Great choice to pick up

User Info Menu

Very nice! Congrats
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I'm jealous, man! great looking kit! can't ever go wrong with Gretsch or Sonor. Two very old companies that got class!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah that wood is gorgeous. Love the grain. Great choice to pick up
    Offer I could not refuse! I am very happy I clicked the SUBMIT ORDER button!

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Very nice! Congrats
    Thanks CD. As are your tobacco fade Cat Maples!!

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I'm jealous, man! great looking kit! can't ever go wrong with Gretsch or Sonor. Two very old companies that got class!
    The cool thing about these aside from the obvious, is the Gretschism that was built into these drums. I love the vintagey vibe they exude! The edges, round badges/w vintage font, 5 lug toms T-handle wing nuts, drop "G" etc. just reek of 50s-60s Gretsch. I love the tone and attack and finish work and the fact that I have not played another kit that sounded like 'em. Nice drum set! - still getting the 5 lug tuning right. Getting there.
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 12-11-2015 at 10:16 PM.

User Info Menu

I could have sworn I saw the same kit for under $500 on amazon the other day.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I could have sworn I saw the same kit for under $500 on amazon the other day.
    Yep.. Caught that! Only $10 less than I paid, eh oh well, still happy with my purchase.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the great looking kit!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

BTW- that drum rug you have it on matches perfectly!
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.

UPDATE:

Honeymoon in slight peril?

I went to start doing some more head swaps and noticed (so far) on the 10 & 12 toms some ply separation in the shell bearing edges!! I know I got this shell pack on a pretty good discount, but this in not acceptable. I've yet to inspect the floor, bass or snare drums but I have a feeling that they will follow suit. I have contacted the seller on this straight away and am waiting on response. Now, I suppose I will have to repack everything and ship it all back I'm surprised I missed this earlier!
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 12-13-2015 at 12:22 PM.

User Info Menu

"Now, I suppose I will have to repack everything and ship it all back I'm surprised I missed this earlier!"

Well, that's just #@$$#%!
    Good luck with the seller!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Yeah, that was my initial reaction!.. I usually will check edges.. in round etc first thing. Had I seen this early on, they wouldn't have gotten set up.

The seller has a pretty good rep., so it shouldn't be a hassle aside from having to repack and drop off at shipper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    Thanks guys.

UPDATE:

Honeymoon in slight peril?

I went to start doing some more head swaps and noticed (so far) on the 10 & 12 toms some ply separation in the shell bearing edges!! I know I got this shell pack on a pretty good discount, but this in not acceptable. I've yet to inspect the floor, bass or snare drums but I have a feeling that they will follow suit. I have contacted the seller on this straight away and am waiting on response. Now, I suppose I will have to repack everything and ship it all back I'm surprised I missed this earlier!
    Actual ply seperation or just voids in the wood? If the plies are actually coming apart, that's obviously bad. If it's just some void areas in the plywood, that's not entirely uncommon for modern "made in China" kits. Unfortunately, several of us on here have been disappointed after inspecting the bearing edges of new mid-level kits (from several manufacturers). A few void spots can be filled with wood epoxy, which is what the manufacturers do. Got any pics?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Actual ply seperation or just voids in the wood? If the plies are actually coming apart, that's obviously bad. If it's just some void areas in the plywood, that's not entirely uncommon for modern "made in China" kits. Unfortunately, several of us on here have been disappointed after inspecting the bearing edges of new mid-level kits (from several manufacturers). A few void spots can be filled with wood epoxy, which is what the manufacturers do. Got any pics?

User Info Menu

Definate ply separation. This is totally unacceptable. Consider that yes, this is a mid line kit, but it did sell (before sale) @ $700
    Not gonna do it. It is going back. Their are a few flea bites here and there and some voids in the filler wood as these shells are Gretsch "FORMULA" ash. Formula is code for hybrid..I'm guessing sawdust and glue lol.

Don't think I'm gonna swap it out for the same either. Once bitten, twice shy.
    Pity as they sounded pretty decent.
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 12-13-2015 at 07:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Not sure what your other kit is but you really cannot go wrong with Yamaha. Just sayin
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yeah, that doesn't look good. Sorry for ya, that really bites. In the last couple years we've seen issues on Gretsch, Ludwig, Sonor, PDP and I believe Rich even had issues on a new Pork Pie. It's sad to think that you have to spend $1500+ on a new kit just to get BASIC construction quality and hardware that fit/functions properly. Such things should be a given, even on entry level kits.
    -Brian