Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying Cymbals being on a budget

User Info Menu

Default Advice on buying Cymbals being on a budget

Hey guys, it's skills here.
    Google brought me back to DC.

Before I tell you about it, i want to say I'm so sorry for my English, hope it makes sense what I tell you now.

A few weeks ago I finally had the chance to replace my 14" Paiste Alpha Medium Hats and I got some sweet 15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hats.

The thing is, I desperately need a Crash (18") and I'm on a budget for unknown time.

I currently have:
    15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edges Hats
    20" Paiste 2002 Heavy Ride

Actually i wanted to buy a 2002 Crash but it cost 260 and I can't afford it, the only way to get it would be saving for 3-4 months.

The second way is buying a Alpha Rock Crash (187), Alpha Boomer (179) or a PST8 Rock Crash (145), the above mentioned Rock Crash isn't for sale in many Stores if you want the 18" although Paiste didn't discontinued it, the Boomer one is actually discontinued but a some Stores still have some for purchase.

If I would choose the Alpha Rock or the Boomer and had luck to get one I really like how they sound if you hit it to crash it, but the bell and the body sounds glassy (the Rock more than the boomer) what I'm not looking for but I like the sound when it's crashed.

The PST8 is the most glassy one.

I hadn't the possibility of listening to them in person but I checked it on YouTube and the Paiste Soundroom.

Do they sound that glassy in person too?

I could get (if it is still available then) the Boomer or Alpha Rock Crash within 1-2 months the PST8 Rock within 1.

So, what would you do?

Buying the Alpha or saving although it is for 3-4 months?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Skills
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advice on buying Cymbals being on a budget

Hi skills your English is perfect, I know its tough but I think you should wait and get what you really want,you may kick yourself because the money you save for a lesser cymbal could have gone to the 2002, 3-4 months isn't too long and it would be a nice gift for yourself

User Info Menu

You might look at a PST7 crash. I think it's pretty close to the 2002 in terms of looks and sound (even closer than the PST8). You may be able to find a used one on eBay.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Hi skills your English is perfect, I know its tough but I think you should wait and get what you really want,you may kick yourself because the money you save for a lesser cymbal could have gone to the 2002, 3-4 months isn't too long and it would be a nice gift for yourself
    Thanks, that's true.

I like how the PST7 sound like and the Price is really good (125 I think) but is the 18" crash loud enough for harder styles and quiet enough for quieter styles?
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skills View Post
    Thanks, that's true.

I like how the PST7 sound like and the Price is really good (125 I think) but is the 18" crash loud enough for harder styles and quiet enough for quieter styles?
    Depends on how hard you hit it...
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Depends on how hard you hit it...
    Yeah, but you'll reach the point it can't go louder anymore no matter how hard you hit it.
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Agreed!... Wait and save for what you want...also have you considered purchasing the 2oo2 cymbal online?...I know casciointerstate sells "mint" condition 2oo2 demos (used) on eBay and usually at a substantial savings...as a matter I purchased many of my 2oo2's from them..I've never had any issues with the ones I purchased ...basically looked like new cymbals when I received them...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 12-17-2015 at 08:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Agreed!... Wait and save for what you want...also have you considered purchasing the 2oo2 cymbal online?...I know casciointerstate sells "mint" condition 2oo2 demos (used) on eBay and usually at a substantial savings...as a matter I purchased many of my 2oo2's from them..I've never had any issues with the ones I purchased from them...basically looked like new cymbals when I received them...
    That's nice but I'm from Germany. :(
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

If you're in Germany, why not drive to Swizterland to the Paiste facility there and hand select your own cymbals? In fact doesn't Paiste have a factory in Germany?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Yeah, but you'll reach the point it can't go louder anymore no matter how hard you hit it.
    They make them in light, medium and heavy (or at least they did). I don't see why it wouldn't be just as loud as a 2002 version of the same weight. Basically the same metal composition as a 2002. You can always throw an overhead mic on it. If you hit your cymbals that hard, it's probably worth looking into mic'ing them anyway. Like others said, you're already close to half way to the price of a new 2002. Maybe best to just save up for the 2002.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

That's nice but I'm from Germany. :(
    Gotcha...they do ship to Germany, but the shipping charge probably takes up most of the savings....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    If you're in Germany, why not drive to Swizterland to the Paiste facility there and hand select your own cymbals? In fact doesn't Paiste have a factory in Germany?

all the best...
    I wish I could, I have no drivers license and traveling with the train is too expensive.

Schacht-Audorf is sooo far away from me and although I live in Lake Constance Area this Part of Switzerland would be a long and expensive trip.
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Skills, for a large purchase you really need to hear these..now since you indicated travel is tough right now...I would ask some working drummers in your area to let you hear their cymbals..we are a brotherhood ( and sisterhood, where applicable) and I am sure they would accommodate your request
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Skills, for a large purchase you really need to hear these..now since you indicated travel is tough right now...I would ask some working drummers in your area to let you hear their cymbals..we are a brotherhood ( and sisterhood, where applicable) and I am sure they would accommodate your request
    Unfortunately we are a small town and drummers are really rare.
    We have just 1, no kidding and he plays all zildjian k.
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You might look at a PST7 crash. I think it's pretty close to the 2002 in terms of looks and sound (even closer than the PST8). You may be able to find a used one on eBay.
    Indeed! Very nice sounding cymbals! Made with that 2oo2 alloy. Love mine!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

It's such a hard decision!
    The PST7 are great sounding on what I've listened to at YouTube and the sound files on the Paiste Page but this can't be true for only 125!

The 2oo2 is fantastic tho.
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

It's such a hard decision!
    The PST7 are great sounding on what I've listened to at YouTube and the sound files on the Paiste Page but this can't be true for only 125!

The 2oo2 is fantastic tho.
    I haven't read any bad reviews anywhere about the PST7 range. Nobody claims they are as good as the 2002 but they are still decent cymbals..

I wouldn't worry about them not being loud enough - a medium PST cymbal will essentially produce the same overall volume as a 2002 equivalent - the sound may not be quite as sophisticated, but this doesn't mean they lack volume. Just avoid the 'thin' model and you shouldn't have any problems.

I would consider buying a used PST7 via ebay and replacing it when the money is available to buy exactly what you want. But first - if you are worried that an 18" crash wont be loud enough - make sure you have good hearing protection!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I haven't read any bad reviews anywhere about the PST7 range. Nobody claims they are as good as the 2002 but they are still decent cymbals..

I wouldn't worry about them not being loud enough - a medium PST cymbal will essentially produce the same overall volume as a 2002 equivalent - the sound may not be quite as sophisticated, but this doesn't mean they lack volume. Just avoid the 'thin' model and you shouldn't have any problems.

I would consider buying a used PST7 via ebay and replacing it when the money is available to buy exactly what you want. But first - if you are worried that an 18" crash wont be loud enough - make sure you have good hearing protection!
    There are mediums available?
    We in Germany have 3 versions - light, crash and heavy.
    I always use my alpine hearsafes when I play on the kit, since I do it would be too loud for me to play without.
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

There are mediums available?
    We in Germany have 3 versions - light, crash and heavy.
    I always use my alpine hearsafes when I play on the kit, since I do it would be too loud for me to play without.
    Yes - the light is the 'thin model', the crash is medium weight, and the heavy is a heavier 'rock' version. Just my opinion - I think either a 'crash' or heavy would work equally well for you. The heavy will probably be glassier sounding and louder with more sustain but I wouldn't rule out the 'crash' version. They are probably both worth checking out.

User Info Menu

I like the pst7 130 bucks on ebay.18inch crash heavy.sounds good for my money.also thinking about some new hihats also.

User Info Menu

Paiste PST7 20" light ride as a crash is awesome too.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I own PST7 16 crash, heavy hats and heavy ride. Great cymbals. If you are looking for bright sounding pies, the PST7s are your slice!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Hey friends, just wanted to tell you I got the bargain and in the meantime proudly own a 18" 2002 Crash.
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Hey friends, just wanted to tell you I got the bargain and in the meantime proudly own a 18" 2002 Crash.
    Congrats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Congrats
    Thanks!
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals