Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Jdrum1 Guest

Default Re: Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    I am inclined to agree.
    While my college drumline used Pearl drums, our hardware was almost 100% Yamaha. Their entry and mid level lines were durable and fairly inexpensive.

User Info Menu

I don't own any Yamaha products - my hardware is a mix of Tama, Sonor, Premier, Pearl and Gibraltar - but this is the first thread I have read, on any Drum Forum, ever, where someone has posted that they don't like Yamaha hardware!

I have always bought good quality used hardware so I never feel the need to upgrade, the reason I don't have any Yamaha hardware is I've never seen any used Yamaha hardware for sale... It seems that owners of Yamaha hardware don't want to sell it or it gets snapped up quickly and I've missed it..

User Info Menu

Most all of my hardware pieces are Pearl 900 series with the exception of the HH stand which is Yamaha 780. Everything about the Yamaha gear from the hardware to the mounting system to the shells seems darn well made!
    I am used to playing a 1 rack tom, 1 floor tom set..played that configuration for well over a decade. This Yamaha SCB has be GASSin for an 8" rack and 14" floor tom. So far, zero regrets with the Yammies!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skills View Post
    What are your experiences with the tomholder?
    I've heard the toms would loose their tuned sound, the tomholder would be sh*t after a few months and so on?

I really love Yammy shells but I avoid Yammy hardware as much as I can, the tomholder is the only thing I'm forced to use. :/
    I've got Yamaha hardware on all my kits (including some tom and cymbal arms from early 90's, late 80's)....Yamaha hardware if used correctly is pretty much bulletproof...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 01-01-2016 at 12:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skills View Post
    What are your experiences with the tomholder?
    I've heard the toms would loose their tuned sound, the tomholder would be sh*t after a few months and so on?

I really love Yammy shells but I avoid Yammy hardware as much as I can, the tomholder is the only thing I'm forced to use. :/
    I must admit I'm guilty of over tightening the tom mounts and stripped out more than one. I put a permanent cure to all my tom mounts by drilling out through the top halves and putting longer bolts through both halves and putting a lock nut on the bottom. They will not strip out again.

User Info Menu

What a beauty! Congrats doc.

User Info Menu

I've been messing with some different set ups as I'm so used to a 1up and 1 or 2 down.
    Looks like I'm staying with the standard 5pc off the kick drum receiver. When I can afford to, I plan to add an 8 rack and 14 floor tom.

Moved them into the drum cave. Nice quiet Christmas..wife is at work. Its just me, my pup and drums..ahhhhh

Last edited by wOOdshedd; 12-25-2015 at 04:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I had a huge set of Yamaha Stage Custom Birch drums. No problems with the hardware but I had problems with the toms coming out of tune,the fix.lock washers. Problem solved.
    After that they stayed tuned and never had a problem. Had to be one of the better sounding kits I have owned.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new kit! It looks fantastic.

I've been recording drums tracks for a good friend who's a singer/songwriter for the past 3 years. When we first got together, he offered to let me play his old Yamaha kit that he had set up in his studio. At first glance (see 1st pic below), I almost declined the offer since I already had a "nicer" kit lined up for this project but boy was I in for a surprise.

You can't judge a book by its cover. It was an entry level kit, covered in dust with the old factory heads and it was mounted on a odd looking partial rack.

I was blown away at the warmth and fullness of the toms and the strength of the kick. Since my first introduction to the Yamaha kit three years ago, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a used kit. The first impression has never worn off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Congrats on the new kit! It looks fantastic.

I've been recording drums tracks for a good friend who's a singer/songwriter for the past 3 years. When we first got together, he offered to let me play his old Yamaha kit that he had set up in his studio. At first glance (see 1st pic below), I almost declined the offer since I already had a "nicer" kit lined up for this project but boy was I in for a surprise.

You can't judge a book by its cover. It was an entry level kit, covered in dust with the old factory heads and it was mounted on a odd looking partial rack.

I was blown away at the warmth and fullness of the toms and the strength of the kick. Since my first introduction to the Yamaha kit three years ago, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a used kit. The first impression has never worn off.

Not 100% sure but if those pics are the kit your talking about that looks like a recording custom, far from entry level. Looks like 10 lug BD as well. I agree Recording custom is one of the 3 or 4 best sounding kits I have ever heard in person. Actually scratch that, after further research I believe it to be a Turbo tour, birch/phillipine mahogany combo.
    Last edited by MDK; 12-29-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

There is a review by a UK gear review site that looked at the stage custom birch and compared them closely to a recording custom. I don't believe everything I read though.
    I LOVE my Yamaha drums!

User Info Menu

I've had a few Stage Custom kits. Great drums.

Never had a single real complaint with any of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Not 100% sure but if those pics are the kit your talking about that looks like a recording custom, far from entry level. Looks like 10 lug BD as well. I agree Recording custom is one of the 3 or 4 best sounding kits I have ever heard in person. Actually scratch that, after further research I believe it to be a Turbo tour, birch/phillipine mahogany combo.
    I think they are '80s Tour Series kit:

User Info Menu

I had a Tour Custom kit for about a year a few years ago and the tom holder was top notch. (Didn't have other Yamaha hardware). Very flexible, extremely well built, etc...

Only traded the kit away because I play rock/pop and they had less "oomph" than I was looking for.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Yep, that's an early Tour Custom set - and they were very nice drums. I've played TCs a number of times and they are top notch kits.

There is a review by a UK gear review site that looked at the stage custom birch and compared them closely to a recording custom. I don't believe everything I read though.
    I LOVE my Yamaha drums!
    Don't believe it, Woody. I've owned Stage Customs and Recording Customs, and there is no comparison. The birch used in the RCs (very tight grained and rock hard), along with the interior treatment, made for a purity of tone that no SC could ever approach. While it's true that many less-expensive kits today can match the tone of more-expensive kits, that is certainly not the case here. Play an RC kit when you get the chance and you'll see what I mean. The superior tone of a Recording Custom kit is not hype or lore - it's the real thing.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I've been messing with some different set ups as I'm so used to a 1up and 1 or 2 down.
    Looks like I'm staying with the standard 5pc off the kick drum receiver. When I can afford to, I plan to add an 8 rack and 14 floor tom.

Moved them into the drum cave. Nice quiet Christmas..wife is at work. Its just me, my pup and drums..ahhhhh

that classics custom dark looks so cool, does it sound good?
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

One thing I've been finding hard for Yamahas are affordable "add-on" drums like octobans and gong drums. In fact, does Yamaha even make them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuiCeeAddict View Post
    One thing I've been finding hard for Yamahas are affordable "add-on" drums like octobans and gong drums. In fact, does Yamaha even make them?
    The Yamaha DTX-MULTI 12 Digital Percussion Pad has all that and more in it

I would love to add one someday if the funds are ever there and I get a little more tech savvy
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

But for acoustic nuts like me, choices are too expensive.

If there were any.

PS
    My kit is begging for more left side drums (octobans, secondary snare, floor tom... anything)